Buffalo Wings? Well, not tonight. But...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to share…
I was going to make some buffalo wings but decided last minute to go the steak and gorgonzola with mushrooms peppers, onions and garlic route instead. MMMMmmmmmm
Be jealous. [smile]

So anyway, does anyone have any good buffalo wing recipes?
I love Red Hot but hate Tobasco sauce. I prefer hot. Not brutally hot as I like to chow down and quash the heat with beer. Save you’re 5 alarm recipies for chilli please! [devil]

Thanks,

SheepDog_B

Attachments

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Recipe for wings?

Not much of a recipe but I just throw the wings in an oven set to 500 for 20 minutes (flipping once) and then toss them in Pete's Buffalo sauce.

No muss, no fuss.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Recipe for wings?

Not much of a recipe but I just throw the wings in an oven set to 500 for 20 minutes (flipping once) and then toss them in Pete's Buffalo sauce.

No muss, no fuss.
This. Nothing beats Texas Petes sauce, goes much better with breaded chicken though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I wanted wine and not beer so it was another decision in steak over wings.
Sounds good, I love TXs Petes too!!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So anyway, does anyone have any good buffalo wing recipes?
Back when I was a saucier I came up with this one night for duck wings, and well, it's pretty good on chicken.

1 bottle crystal
1 stick unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic - crush into paste
juice 1 lime
black pepper
slight pinch of sumac for slight pucker
half pinch of powdered habanero for light heat and long time warmth (not enough to actually be hot, can omit)

Melt down the butter, add all the ingredients except for the lime juice. Cook gently for a couple minutes, take off the heat and let it cool some then mix in the lime juice and correct spicing/ salt.

Boil the chicken wings in salted water until cooked - remove and dry. Fry until crispy and brown, put in a large bowl or closable container - add in sauce, toss and serve. Or, toss and pour into an oven bag, close it, and serve - you lose a little crispiness, but you gain better sauce penetration.

re: Pete's - good stuff, have two bottle of it along with my tapatio. It's just a little too sour though for my taste.

MaroonedinMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Back when I was a saucier I came up with this one night for duck wings, and well, it's pretty good on chicken.

1 bottle crystal
1 stick unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic - crush into paste
juice 1 lime
black pepper
slight pinch of sumac for slight pucker
half pinch of powdered habanero for light heat and long time warmth (not enough to actually be hot, can omit)

Melt down the butter, add all the ingredients except for the lime juice. Cook gently for a couple minutes, take off the heat and let it cool some then mix in the lime juice and correct spicing/ salt.

Boil the chicken wings in salted water until cooked - remove and dry. Fry until crispy and brown, put in a large bowl or closable container - add in sauce, toss and serve. Or, toss and pour into an oven bag, close it, and serve - you lose a little crispiness, but you gain better sauce penetration.

re: Pete's - good stuff, have two bottle of it along with my tapatio. It's just a little too sour though for my taste.

What's crystal? Is that a hot sauce? I assume you didn't mean Cristal, Louis Roderer's Brut Champagne line which starts at about $200/bottle...as that would be some expensive wings [smile]

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well, for sauce I don't have anything special. I normally just use Frank's Red Hot, add a little garlic, and cut with some butter depending on whether or not I want to temper the heat.

As for cooking, try the Alton Brown method. I've done this before and although more of a pain than the straight bake, it's a lot better. You steam the wings before hand for a short time. Only about 10 minutes worth or so. Then you lay the wings out on a pan and through them in the fridge. This does a couple of things. First, the steam removes some of the excess fat from the wings which would normally just turn into grease in the oven. It also does a little of the cooking which reduces bake time and therefore saves some of the moisture in the wings. Second, the fridge will help set the skin. Now you can bake at a higher temp for a shorter time.

From here it's pretty much like any wing. Pop in the oven but for more like 30 minutes instead of an hou or 45 minutes. Toss with then sauce and chow down. The full recipe is here

BTW, the trick to the steaming is to get a couple if cheap steamer trays, remove the nuts from the posts and stack a few together by using some threaded posts or nuts. It gives you a multilevel steamer. It's importance since you don't want the wings to overlap while the steam. They should be in single layers.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been wanting wings for over a week now. Knew getting them on sunday would be a no-go, so I turned to my gf and said, "Within 7 days, I will get wings."

She could tell by the look in my face that I was serious.

Have decided to try Angela's Coal Fired Wings & Pizza on rt1 Saugus this saturday night.

Sir_Macadoo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   1
soak 'em in buttermilk and franks red hot over night.
pat them dry, dust with flour and cayenne/chili pepper per taste - drag through buttermilk/franks - dredge in flour and chili/onion/garlic powder mixture
deep fry for a few minutes.
toss in melted butter and franks red hot.
enjoy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a place near a place that abuts another place.
Usually, I dredge in seasoned flour, let sit for ~15 minutes, then deep fry ~375F for ~12 min. Sometimes, I'll go longer.
Otherwise, I dredge in seasoned flour, let sit for a couple minutes and bake ~450-500F until nice and brown.

For sauce, I use the classic 50/50 of Frank's Red Hot and margarine. If I am throwing my cholesterol concerns further to the breezes, I use 50/50 Tabasco and butter. Either one of these can be improved with the addition of cayenne, chipotle, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, or whatever tickles your fancy.
Sometimes, since I have the stuff at home, I'll add some pregel starch or xanthan gum to thicken it up, improve cling, and maintian the emulsion.

If I have some time, like a day ahead, I'll also brine the wings to keep them from overdrying.

Last edited:

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I make a sauce that seems to be a hit with everyone that eats them. Wings are my favorite food, and I like to try all kinds of different sauces, this one is not a traditional buffalo sauce, more of a hot and sweet Buffalo/BBQ sauce (was going for a golden fever type). It is not an exact science, I usually mix these base ingredients and taste until it's right.

2 parts cheap bbq sauce I think I used Hickory Brown Sugar last time.
1 part honey mustard
Garlic powder
Cayenne pepper
White and black pepper
Franks red hot to taste, I like a lot.
Water to thin it out a little.

This makes sauce thick enough to coat the wings. Oh and deep frying the wings is only way to go.

45collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
+1 on the deep frying. We've got a mini fryalator (sp?) at the house and it the tits. Franks red hot and a little butter. Dammit now I want some chicken wings.

Rugerfan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm originally from Buffalo. It's a simple recipe, and has been given here in previous posts:

Frank's Red Hot Sauce
Butter (used to dilute hot sauce to taste)
deep fried chicken wings

Fry the wings to the done a crispy stage.
Melt butter in large uncovered sauce pan
Add Frank's to taste (start at 50/50 and work up to a safe load.) Watch for signs of over pressure! (They show up the next day.)
Add fried wings to pot, cover and shake to coat.
Serve with good blue cheese dressing and celery sticks

This is the original recipe that any good pizza/wings joint in Buffalo uses. Any thing else is heresy!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sauces - a previous poster asked what Crystal was...

It's the best damn hot sauce for buffaloed anything, Franks is a close second. Tobasco and Petes are too vinegary, and Tapatio is good, but too rough/raw for out here.

Crystal has a good pepper flavor, and balanced vinegar - it's also cheap when you can find it. Apparently it's big in Louisiana from what I've been told by some ex-NOLA cooks I knew.

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I use this recipe for my chicken sauce:

Franks Red Hot Xtra Hot
Honey
Ground Mustard Seed
Ancho Power

Franks and honey are about 50/50, then mustard and ancho to taste.

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Gonzo's got the best wing recipe I've ever eaten. Hopefully he posts it later. Lots of Frank's and lots of butter. Baked, then fried in oil.
Baked then fried, that sounds interesting, I'd like to see his recipe as well.

MaroonedinMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sauces - a previous poster asked what Crystal was...

It's the best damn hot sauce for buffaloed anything, Franks is a close second. Tobasco and Petes are too vinegary, and Tapatio is good, but too rough/raw for out here.

Crystal has a good pepper flavor, and balanced vinegar - it's also cheap when you can find it. Apparently it's big in Louisiana from what I've been told by some ex-NOLA cooks I knew.
Thanks! I figured it was something of that nature. I'll look for it.

Rating - 96.4%
26   1   1
I have been wanting wings for over a week now. Knew getting them on sunday would be a no-go, so I turned to my gf and said, "Within 7 days, I will get wings."

She could tell by the look in my face that I was serious.

Have decided to try Angela's Coal Fired Wings & Pizza on rt1 Saugus this saturday night.
not impressed with this place. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been using sriracha & garlic instead of Frank's lately, in the standard butter ratio to taste, and it's come out quite well. A little bit of chopped cilantro and lime juice too.

drumenigma

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
deep fried chicken + franks buffalo sauce. simple, gets the job done.
This is my idea of easy made buffalo chicken. I made some the other day where I made a flour coating with basic white flour and some spices like salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder I think was in there. I just tossed the chicken in that and deep fried in soybean oil. Took it out and tossed in Franks Red Hot with a little bit of butter. Very addictive.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
http://www.mooresmarinade.com/index.php?page=moores-buffalo-wing-sauce

Love this stuff...I've finally found it at Stop and Shop...always had to order online to get it. My mom used to carry it in her store in Memphis...so sometimes I'd send her money and she'd order it for me at cost.

LOVE IT!

I made my Buffalo Chicken Dip for the Superbowl. It's one of those things that everyone askes me to make when I come over.

Top Bottom