Buffalo Wild Wings worker dies in Burlington

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
12,003
Likes
4,817
Location
Northern Mass
yeah, you would think. I'm on the sunny side of death so i don't waste time cleaning. but that's just me.
So is it safe to assume that your toilet is piss stained and shit streaked?

Asking ahead of any serious relationship with others. I’d just like to warn people of opposing views.
 

Mattyweb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joined
Jun 16, 2010
Messages
851
Likes
505
Location
MA
Part of the problem is our society has diluted out words (like racist, nazi, danger). When you have to tell people not to eat tide pods, normal people have a difficult time sorting out the real dangers from the white noise.
 
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
15,923
Likes
4,582
Even if you can read English and/or Spanish, some of us can't read Chemistry.

I feel bad for the manager.
For sure. This sort of thing is pretty rare from what I've seen. It's remarkable that commercial grade cleaners had enough purity to kill someone in a short amount of time whos not trapped in a tiny area, such as the inside of a car via chemical suicide.

Interested to read more on it. People mix shit they shouldn't together regularly and no ones dropping dead the majority of the time.

Realistically there should be no way for an employee to even have the ability to accidentally mix things that are so dangerous death results in minutes. They shouldn't even be in the same part of the building.
 

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
43,424
Likes
13,601
Location
Living Free In The 603
like someone said, a LOT of shit we use regularly CAN be dangerous.

I am reminded of the one where you clean some equipment with a solvent (like brake cleaner), then strike up a spark (like from an arc welder), and accidentally cause phosgene gas to puff up.
I got gassed in a pit like that.
Back in the early 80's I worked as a a mechanic in an old shop that had a drive-on pit.
I was changing a drag link on a truck when one of the other mechanics was cleaning a carb on a running vehicle.
He didn't have any carb cleaner, so he used brake-clean instead.
That stuff is heavier than air so it flowed down into the pit where I was working.
In a matter of seconds, I couldn't breath, so I bolted outside coughing and gagging.
Sat outside a few minutes, had a smoke, then went back to work.
 

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
29,040
Likes
13,981
i just had a relevant thought. When was the last time you read the printed manual on how your computer works? Or the manual on how your smart phone works? Or the....well never mind, it is pointless to speculate because even thought there are a ton of complex systems we are using nowadays, there ARE NO printed manuals. Somehow they expect you to just "figure it out" on your own, or go to youtube or something to learn.

Fast forward to this manager, in his early thirties. All his life he never read a manual for anything....
he picks up a bottle of cleaner, but because of his decades of previous experience, also does not bother to read the label or SDS. If he had, he might have not allowed both of these floor cleaning products into his kitchen!

Maybe, instead of management trainees learning about protecting how people identify as a gender, and avoid using the wrong pronouns addressing customers....they should have instead spent training time on SAFETY ISSUES???
 

Blackmore

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,134
Likes
562
Location
W. Central NH
Maybe, instead of management trainees learning about protecting how people identify as a gender, and avoid using the wrong pronouns addressing customers....they should have instead spent training time on SAFETY ISSUES???
From personal experience I can tell you that respect for risk management to protect both customers and co-workers has taken a back seat to political correctness and "feels".
 

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
29,040
Likes
13,981
From personal experience I can tell you that respect for risk management to protect both customers and co-workers has taken a back seat to political correctness and "feels".
gawd, if i were a manger today, HR would walk me out near the entrance door, grab my badge, and shove me out the door!
 
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
4,842
Likes
1,235
Location
citizen turned Felon in CT
something I actually know about. As I sell those (only a different brand)

Super 8 is a "low temp dish sanitizer" that is automatically pumped into (low temp) commercial dishmachines at a concentration of 50ppm. Rough numbers, in a dishwasher using a gallon of water to clean/sanitize about 4 milliliters (less than 1/2 oz )

a follow up story says that another chemical, Scale clean... which is an acid used to delime (remove scale build up... think of it as a supercharged version of CLR you buy at the supermarket) in dishwashers was spilled on the floor and not cleaned up. The combination of ACID and chlorine caused a gas that killed the kid. Likely painfully


in the real world of commercial kitchens and laundries, these products are common and really the low end of "dangerous" (until human error causes them to mix). There are MUCH nastier things used in most kitchens and laundries. Saddly, this is not the first time, or the last that someone mixed chemicals by accident and killed someone
 

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
3,187
Likes
711
It wasn't the manager who mixed it. Somebody spilled an acid=based chemical earlier and didn't clean up. Then one of the other kitchen guys poured out the Super 8 stuff and the trouble started. The manager tried to squeegee it out and the fumes killed him.
 
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
15,923
Likes
4,582
Stuff like this is why I keep my front-of-the-t-shirt respirator and safety squints handy.
Unfortunately in a lot of the legit lethal gas situations that's not cutting it.

If it's 1988 and we're hitting it hard at the Palace in Revere and someone rolls a tear gas grenade across the dance floor, which did happen, the wet t shirt squint is perfect.

For the real deal it's hold breath and throw self out closest window.

I'm still amazed they were able to do this with the shit they had on hand there. It's not like it's a laundry mat or some shit. The fact that they have chemicals diluted so little that will kill that fast when combined is retarded. I suspect their insurance is going to put an end to that shit, as they definitely should.
 
Top Bottom