Buffalo Wild Wings worker dies in Burlington

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would venture a guess that they just poured that shit right on the floor and started mopping.

I’ve done it with regular Clorox, and if you pour too much in too tight a space, it gets pretty nasty.

That being said, the way the article reads does sort of point towards some accidental mustard gas.
yeah, mopping the floor with 8% bleach isn't going to kill you with a few minutes of exposure even in a tight space. I read this last night saying that the worker was mixing chemicals to mop the floor. Sounded odd to me, not sure how corp lawyers would get comfortable with the liability of min wage goons mixing cleaning chemicals when there are a million ready to use cleaners available.

At a press conference, Patterson said the chemical was being mixed to be used as a floor cleaner.

does sound like a bleach + ammonia thing for sure or something similar.

When I was in college we had an on campus apartment and a few of my roomates wanted to clean up before a party. They mixed bleach and ammonia in a big tupperware bin to mop the foor with. you could see steam like gas rising out of it. I quickly informed them of their deadly mistake, held my breath and left the apartment for the weekend. I'd guess they just dumped that shit out somewhere...lucky no one got hurt.

arsco

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bunch of years back I was changing out a pool heater and pump in a commercial set up. The pool guy decides to clean out the clorinator with straight muriatic acid. Had to drag him out of the pump room. Pulled fire alarm. Fire fighters washed me down with a fire hose. Lol. Pool guy went for a ride in the meat wagon. He was lucky he wasn't alone

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many years ago I was trying to remove stains from a white building. Nothing was working to I got the bright idea to try some pool shock.
Dumped the bag into a bucket and started to fill it with water. Bucket started shaking violently and backed away fast. The damn thing blew up.
Learned after that... shock into water good. Water into shock bad. Stains didn’t come out and I’m glad I backed away or I would be blind today b
I remember learning in chemistry...NEVER add water to acid, always add acid to water. Depending on the strength of the acid, a violent exothermic reaction will occur.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
You are the guy the plumbers HATE....have a drain full of sulphuric acid, it does not work, and THEN you call the plumber to come auger it out!
Nah, it's not acid. I think it's just lye. It looks like you can get it on Amazon too apparently, though at 3x the price:

View: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K2YSNIE?ref=em_1p_3_ti&ref_=pe_2204590_379513830

A plumber was the one who tipped me off to i, after he spent too long trying to auger out the tub drain (we're on a slab and the drain apparently takes some strange/tight turns. A little of this stuff down the drain at the first sign of a slowdown and it's gone.

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have to wonder if the person using the product could even read the directions? A lot of those restaurants have kitchen staff who don't have the greatest command of the english language.
And even if they do, so many are so completely terrified of losing their job/deported/whatever that they just say "OK, Yes sir" if the boss tells them (for example) to go up on the roof of a 15 or 18 story building and "scrape that ice off".. when it's five below and the wind is howling at 40mph...and the "climbing boots" poor Juan or Jose is wearing are sneakers bought from K-Mart (on sale..marked down to ten bucks from their regular $15.99)...

Just sayin'

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Nah, it's not acid. I think it's just lye.
Just lye? Lye is caustic, like acid but on the other side of the pH spectrum.

Tissue digestion[edit]
Sodium or potassium hydroxide can be used to digest tissues of animal carcasses. Often referred to as alkaline hydrolysis, the process involves placing the carcass or body into a sealed chamber, adding a mixture of lye and water and the application of heat to accelerate the process. After several hours the chamber will contain a liquid with coffee-like appearance,[5][6][7] and the only solids that remain are very fragile bone hulls of mostly calcium phosphate, which can be mechanically crushed to a fine powder with very little force.[8][9] Sodium hydroxide is frequently used in the process of decomposing roadkill dumped in landfills by animal disposal contractors.[6] Due to its low cost and availability, it has also been used to dispose of corpses by criminals. Italian serial killer Leonarda Cianciulli used this chemical to turn dead bodies into soap.[10] In Mexico, a man who worked for drug cartels admitted to having disposed of more than 300 bodies with it

The majority of safety concerns with lye are also common with most corrosives, such as their potentially destructive effects on living tissues; examples are the skin, flesh, and the cornea. Solutions containing lyes can cause chemical burns, permanent injuries, scarring and blindness, immediately upon contact. Lyes may be harmful or even fatal if swallowed; ingestion can cause esophageal stricture.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Just lye? Lye is caustic, like acid but on the other side of the pH spectrum.

Tissue digestion[edit]
Sodium or potassium hydroxide can be used to digest tissues of animal carcasses. Often referred to as alkaline hydrolysis, the process involves placing the carcass or body into a sealed chamber, adding a mixture of lye and water and the application of heat to accelerate the process. After several hours the chamber will contain a liquid with coffee-like appearance,[5][6][7] and the only solids that remain are very fragile bone hulls of mostly calcium phosphate, which can be mechanically crushed to a fine powder with very little force.[8][9] Sodium hydroxide is frequently used in the process of decomposing roadkill dumped in landfills by animal disposal contractors.[6] Due to its low cost and availability, it has also been used to dispose of corpses by criminals. Italian serial killer Leonarda Cianciulli used this chemical to turn dead bodies into soap.[10] In Mexico, a man who worked for drug cartels admitted to having disposed of more than 300 bodies with it

The majority of safety concerns with lye are also common with most corrosives, such as their potentially destructive effects on living tissues; examples are the skin, flesh, and the cornea. Solutions containing lyes can cause chemical burns, permanent injuries, scarring and blindness, immediately upon contact. Lyes may be harmful or even fatal if swallowed; ingestion can cause esophageal stricture.
I know all about it. The stuff is granular, and clumps up with a little moisture. I was shaking a previously opened bottle up before using it one time and had a very small bit come up in slow motion and go right into my mouth, hitting toward the back somewhere. I coughed and sputtered and tried to get it out but that frigging thing did damage instantly. I felt it for months, but fortunately it's cleared up since. I've since been more careful handling it. Even the fumes off it are nasty.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just saw that it was the general manager who died, they said once he realized that there was a problem he took action. Sad that it cost him his life.

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I read that the guy that was washing the floor didn't know that someone had spilled some other chemical on the floor earlier, so when he put the clean on it it started to bubble up. He left the building because of the fumes and the manager tried to squeegee the bubbling chemicals out of the building and was breathing the stuff in directly. Feel bad for the guy, but seeing that chemical reaction I wouldn't be sticking around to clean it up with a squeegee.

goslow

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad.
On Friday, Burlington Fire officials identified him as 32-year-old Ryan Baldera. Co-workers and friends tell Boston 25 News Baldera was a new dad to a baby boy and got married last year.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I read that the guy that was washing the floor didn't know that someone had spilled some other chemical on the floor earlier, so when he put the clean on it it started to bubble up. He left the building because of the fumes and the manager tried to squeegee the bubbling chemicals out of the building and was breathing the stuff in directly. Feel bad for the guy, but seeing that chemical reaction I wouldn't be sticking around to clean it up with a squeegee.
I'm with you. EVACUATE!!!!!!!!

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
"Things aren't dangerous... People are dangerous."
true, huh? not too long ago i sprayed that mold, mildew, grout cleaner all over my shower. directions said turn on water to shower and it would melt the grime away. me...never one to waste time, hey, lets kill two birds here so i stepped in to shower up too. big mistake, almost my last shower. [thinking]

Kicker96FS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
looks like if they poured this stuff directly on the floors they failed to follow directions. While I have in the past used bleach to help clean floors, never without diluting it. It's designed to be mixed in WATER, using specific dispensing systems into an automated dishwashing system.

Read the spec sheet here: AUTO - CHLOR | LOW TEMP SANITIZER | SUPER 8
Lack of training on the stores part. We have to train and refresh our guys all the time because half, and that is being generous, can't read English OR Spanish. So to turn some ignorant idiot loose with chemicals is just asking for trouble. I hope the customers sue the crap out of Buffalo chips restaurant.

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The employee who died after a chemical incident at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in Burlington has been identified as 32-year-old Ryan Baldera.

Baldera, the general manager, jumped in to help when another employee using a common cleaning agent known as Super 8 on the kitchen floor suddenly became nauseous. Fire officials now say he accidentally mixed a second chemical called Scale Kleen that caused a reaction.

Super 8 contains sodium hypochlorite and Scale Kleen is about 50% acid. They had a chemical reaction and started bubbling.

Baldera tried to squeegee the chemicals outside, but was overcome by the fumes.

Scale Kleen
Aluminum Chloride hexahydrate
Citric Acid monohydrate

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET SCALE-KLEEN

Baldera was married last year and was the father to a newborn baby.
Ryan Baldera General Manager at a Buffalo Wild Wings
1573249816815.png

Blackmore

NES Member
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
My first job in high school was was at Stop & Shop in the produce dept. One of the things we had to do was clean the floor in our back room periodically and could just help ourselves to cleaning products off the store's shelves. The first thing I was told by my manager was to NEVER mix Clorox and ammonia

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
We need Garanimal labels on everything for today's youth...

Monkey's go with monkeys, giraffes go with giraffes, hippos go with hippos.
Never match a Zebra with a Wombat...

quincy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that Draino is NaOH, Sodium hydroxide, which is a base not an acid. Do they even make sulfuric acid for cleaning drains? Lye is bad enough.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that Draino is NaOH, Sodium hydroxide, which is a base not an acid. Do they even make sulfuric acid for cleaning drains? Lye is bad enough.
Back in the day...we used to get it from our industrial food service company. Sulphuric acid right on the label

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Even if you can read English and/or Spanish, some of us can't read Chemistry.

I feel bad for the manager.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I just saw that it was the general manager who died, they said once he realized that there was a problem he took action. Sad that it cost him his life.
Ya. Sad story. Die while helping others be safer. Easier to swallow when your paid to be a first responder. In this case... not so much.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
true, huh? not too long ago i sprayed that mold, mildew, grout cleaner all over my shower. directions said turn on water to shower and it would melt the grime away. me...never one to waste time, hey, lets kill two birds here so i stepped in to shower up too. big mistake, almost my last shower. [thinking]
Is it not easier just to keep the shower clean? I swear you could almost eat off ours.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ya. Sad story. Die while helping others be safer. Easier to swallow when your paid to be a first responder. In this case... not so much.
He acted...right or wrong, some people would have done nothing and died. I drill that idea into my kids brains, nothing is worse than indecision.

Top Bottom