Buffalo Wild Wings worker dies in Burlington

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
while using "Super 8, a common sanitation product, was being used to clean the floor when people inside the restaurant became sick. "

Sounds like this Super 8 should NOT be a common sanitation product???

1573213810540.png

8.2 % sodium hypochorite (bleach) he poured on the floor

Common clorox house bleach is 6%....i did not know you could DIE from it!
I wonder if there was a combination of chemicals that release chlorine gas somehow....

Last edited:

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
while using "Super 8, a common sanitation product, was being used to clean the floor when people inside the restaurant became sick. "

View attachment 311554

I wonder if there was a combination of chemicals that release chlorine gas somehow....
I would venture a guess that they just poured that shit right on the floor and started mopping.

I’ve done it with regular Clorox, and if you pour too much in too tight a space, it gets pretty nasty.

That being said, the way the article reads does sort of point towards some accidental mustard gas.

CrackPot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
bleach plus ammonia = chlorine gas = death

View attachment 311554

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleach plus ammonia = chlorine gas = death
A guy in my company tried this one friday afternoon when he was tasked with mopping the company office as a punishment. He mixed ammonia and bleach and mopped the floor thinking 'eff them'. Closed all the doors and windows. Well it wasn't but a few minutes later he comes running out the door tomato faced dripping sweat and gasping.
Corpsman runs over to help, Gunny steps in and realizes what had happened, quarter decks the guy for a couple minutes. Hahaha

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The guy who died was trying to clean up the mess...

"Another worker had applied the cleaning solution and went out into the fresh air after being exposed. The victim who died was trying to squeegee the substance out of the restaurant when he was overcome by the fumes"

The wife and I first thought is was a mix of bleach and ammonia...

"We were just sitting at the bar, and kind of the smell of, like, ammonia and chlorine came over us, and a bunch of people started coughing,"

Investigators will have to prove it but the worker who caused the issue is still alive so authorities can ask....

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
looks like if they poured this stuff directly on the floors they failed to follow directions. While I have in the past used bleach to help clean floors, never without diluting it. It's designed to be mixed in WATER, using specific dispensing systems into an automated dishwashing system.

Read the spec sheet here: AUTO - CHLOR | LOW TEMP SANITIZER | SUPER 8

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Many years ago I was trying to remove stains from a white building. Nothing was working to I got the bright idea to try some pool shock.
Dumped the bag into a bucket and started to fill it with water. Bucket started shaking violently and backed away fast. The damn thing blew up.
Learned after that... shock into water good. Water into shock bad. Stains didn’t come out and I’m glad I backed away or I would be blind today b

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
It's designed to be mixed in WATER,
right, all that industrial strength stuff is no joke and usually needs to be diluted. when i worked at a food manufacturing facility, the stuff used for sanitation was highly toxic and could cause death, said so on the container, if not mixed in the proper proportion. i use to bring it home for a friend to use in his food truck and made damn sure he and his employee knew how to prepare it for use. what's scary is no one wants to read the sds.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
right, all that industrial strength stuff is no joke and usually needs to be diluted. when i worked at a food manufacturing facility, the stuff used for sanitation was highly toxic and could cause death, said so on the container, if not mixed in the proper proportion. i use to bring it home for a friend to use in his food truck and made damn sure he and his employee knew how to prepare it for use. what's scary is no one wants to read the sds.
I have to wonder if the person using the product could even read the directions? A lot of those restaurants have kitchen staff who don't have the greatest command of the english language.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
What's worse: Dying of the gas chamber at B-Dubs or getting stabbed to death for a chicken sammich at Popeye's?

I'm still very amazed at the # of chemicals "normal" people can buy. Dangerous stuff. I mean, you can buy lye for crying out loud. LYE! At the grocery store!

No, I don't want to ban it or have a special store or license. But damn. Maybe we figure out how to ejamacate people.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What's worse: Dying of the gas chamber at B-Dubs or getting stabbed to death for a chicken sammich at Popeye's?

I'm still very amazed at the # of chemicals "normal" people can buy. Dangerous stuff. I mean, you can buy lye for crying out loud. LYE! At the grocery store!

No, I don't want to ban it or have a special store or license. But damn. Maybe we figure out how to ejamacate people.
A 10 year old can make lye, all it requires is oak ash and rain water.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ban it...all of it...nobody needs chemical weapons to clean the floor at shitty restaurants.

Goliathan

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, if they cannot or will not read the label, they'll ejamacate themselves. Hopefully before they reproduce.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
When our dog was a puppy, he secretly found a place in the attic that he peed in a bunch of times. When I discovered this, tried to clean it out with some bleach based cleaner, and lo and behold, the ammonia from the urine that was soaked into the wood reacted and almost knocked me out.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0

Even my favorite drain opener is supposed to be sold to licensed professionals only but I still manage to get my hands on it by ordering from plumbing supply places online. Stuff is dangerous but has also saved me hundreds in plumber visits.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
like someone said, a LOT of shit we use regularly CAN be dangerous.

I am reminded of the one where you clean some equipment with a solvent (like brake cleaner), then strike up a spark (like from an arc welder), and accidentally cause phosgene gas to puff up.

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
That sucks . poor guy. Of all the ways you think you are going to die, washing the flood is way way down the list.
He probably didn't have much to leave behind to help family get by.
I hope wings steps in to help. They are at fault for lack of training .

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even my favorite drain opener is supposed to be sold to licensed professionals only but I still manage to get my hands on it by ordering from plumbing supply places online. Stuff is dangerous but has also saved me hundreds in plumber visits.
You are the guy the plumbers HATE....have a drain full of sulphuric acid, it does not work, and THEN you call the plumber to come auger it out!

Top Bottom