Buffalo Wild Wings - God Awful!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have bad news for you, younger people ONLY go to chain restaurants and eschew the mom and pop local places. Even if the mom and pops have amazingly good food. The consequence...those restaurants are going ot of business. in another 5 years, you will be lucky to find any of them still in business.
I actually find the opposite to be true. It’s the older fuddy duddy in the minivan that goes to BWW, Applebee’s, fiendlies, McDonald’s , whatever since they are cheap and they can feed their family for like 4.99...they are also the type to think getting garbage like Sam Adams is a good choice.
Younger people I know like the smaller restaurants with actual chefs and real drinks..this is actually the reason many spend too much going out though ..

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually find the opposite to be true. It’s the older fuddy duddy in the minivan that goes to BWW, Applebee’s, fiendlies, McDonald’s , whatever since they are cheap and they can feed their family for like 4.99...they are also the type to think getting garbage like Sam Adams is a good choice.
Younger people I know like the smaller restaurants with actual chefs and real drinks..this is actually the reason many spend too much going out though ..
there will be foodie types that seek out good independent chefs. But i was talking generically across the entire country...young families no longer seek out those mom and pop places. Its all "lets to to craplebees today dad!"

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
After 3-4 pitchers of beer it's just fine!

You haven't lived until you've watched an Ohio State Buckeyes game at a BWW's location next to campus. Now that's an experience!

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
there will be foodie types that seek out good independent chefs. But i was talking generically across the entire country...young families no longer seek out those mom and pop places. Its all "lets to to craplebees today dad!"
Everyone blames us millennials for killing off these big chain restaurants, because we seek out smaller, local, craft type establishments. Take a ride through Portsmouth, all the chains are closed now, and it's not due to the poor business climate up here.

Hetzer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
As bad as BWW is, Dave and Busters is somehow worse. Every single thing I get there sucks. I got ribs once, ribs, like baby back ribs and they tasted like hot dogs. Like that midnight gas station hot dog that’s all shriveled up because it’s been on the rollers since noon. Yeah that one. The exact same flavor but in rib form. It’s impossible but they managed to do it.

It was however fun explaining to the laughing waiter why I wanted them taken off of the bill.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
After 3-4 pitchers of beer it's just fine!

You haven't lived until you've watched an Ohio State Buckeyes game at a BWW's location next to campus. Now that's an experience!
They tore down the original location on high and woodruff... I spent many days/nights there. The wings and beer specials they ran when I went to school there were how many of us survived. $1 for 23oz drafts and 10 cent wing night.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
When my son went there he was an expert on happy hours at local places. Included in his calculations was quality of booze, cost, female content and distance to travel... among others.

Somehow he graduated although he claims to this day his BAC was higher than his GPA...

:)

They tore down the original location on high and woodruff... I spent many days/nights there. The wings and beer specials they ran when I went to school there were how many of us survived. $1 for 23oz drafts and 10 cent wing night.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
When my son went there he was an expert on happy hours at local places. Included in his calculations was quality of booze, cost, female content and distance to travel... among others.

Somehow he graduated although he claims to this day his BAC was higher than his GPA...

Same here.. each dive had its specials on different nights. Wednesday nights was $1 Mega Pitchers at another place - and that was a gallon of beer.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Of course, yet another important consideration!

How could I forget such an important detail!!!

Same here.. each dive had its specials on different nights. Wednesday nights was $1 Mega Pitchers at another place - and that was a gallon of beer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chain restaurants usually suck in general
*In New England. I swear, I go to a chain in PA, OH, or IN, in small towns, not the cities and they're excellent. Everybody would complain about Dairy Queen's food being terrible and the ones I'd go to when I lived in Indiana it was terrific. All the Arby's were excellent, McDonald's was actually good and the burgers didn't taste like they'd been dipped in grease and slapped together by a heroin addict fresh out of juvy prison.

Even BWW was good the few times I had gone to one out there.

It all comes down to quality of the employees and them (and management) taking pride in their work. The work ethic in small towns in the Midwest is a lot stronger than urbanized, drug fueled New England and it's a shame that the people out in the Rust Belt don't get paid as much or more than dopeheads in New England do.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been finding that chain restaurants in general are getting pretty pricey for what you get. Five guys is another one that comes to the top of my mind.
It's true, I've looked at the menu at McDonald's and the price for a Big Mac meal is something like 9 bucks now, so add in the taxes and it's near 10 bucks. At that price I'd rather just go to Subway. All I get at McDonald's now is 2 McChickens and a vanilla shake.

As for Five Guys, that place is the most overrated burger joint ever. People talk it up like it's something great just cuz they give you free peanuts to munch on while you wait. The fries are decent, nothing special. I find Hardee's/Carl's Jr. to be better for the money.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are the two things young families do not have? Cash and time. If you're say 25 to 30 with two or three kids, you go where you can get maximum value for your dollar. Surely the oldsters on here have to remember those days.

I used to get excited about BDubs back before it arrived in New England. The notion of a place dedicated to wings was fascinating to me, especially because I love spicy food. I can eat a plate of BDubs max spicy boneless wings without second thought. These days though, I'd rather make wings at home or order them somewhere else. I don't follow sports so I don't have an ulterior motive to go to a sports bar. The last times I would go to BDubs was when I was at Plymouth State and there wasn't much open to eat on a Thursday night around 10pm between Plymouth and Concord.

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
BDubs Hot Thai Curry sauce is one of my favorite things going. I buy the bottles of it and bring it home to fry my own wings, marinade chicken and grill it, it's so good, it probably has crack in it.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I've been finding that chain restaurants in general are getting pretty pricey for what you get. Five guys is another one that comes to the top of my mind.
5 guys thrives because there are tons of people who will gladly throw down another 5-7 bucks to avoid the scrum/garbage at wendees/bk/mcdoudenals. It's still peanuts (no pun intended) wrt eating out.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
What are the two things young families do not have? Cash and time. If you're say 25 to 30 with two or three kids, you go where you can get maximum value for your dollar. Surely the oldsters on here have to remember those days.
IMHO government bullshit/taxes/regulatory/minwage garbage has ruined low cost dine-out options. (like say a buffet or cafeteria style deal that serves decent food) These type of high-value operations only exist in locales in the US where the local cost of operation is low and the population is high enough to move volume..

I've never had kids "formally" but my exes kids lived with me for 5+ yrs, take out or eating out was always rape mode. Like you order a couple pizzas and (whatever) and next thing you know you're plunking out thirty bucks+ for dinner.... I honestly don't know how families with kids even can leave the house at this point without going broke... every meal is like buying a tank of gas... [rofl]

-Mike

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BDubs Hot Thai Curry sauce is one of my favorite things going. I buy the bottles of it and bring it home to fry my own wings, marinade chicken and grill it, it's so good, it probably has crack in it.
Interesting. Went to their website and I can get their Blazin' sauce for $5.50 p/bottle. I can eat that with no f*cks given... Well, until the next morning, but c'est la vie.

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Interesting. Went to their website and I can get their Blazin' sauce for $5.50 p/bottle. I can eat that with no f*cks given... Well, until the next morning, but c'est la vie.
I do the same with Wendell's every time I have to venture down to the Attleboro area. I think a pint of their sauces is $7, or there about. I pretty much always have some 3.5 sauce in the freezer.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Chain restaurants usually suck in general
Four years later, we could still just close the thread on this.

Chains will build on some great culinary success. But in the name of more franchises and bigger profits, they'll always cut corners and ruin it.

Remember: Applebee's was once a really great chain that made all of the food in-house. They had a KILLER chili. Salads were great. They even made decent ribs. Then the Corpos took over, gutted the menu and turned it into another TGI Fridays.

EDIT

You can also replicate Wendell's sauce pretty easy - buy ANYONE'S sauce and just add a crap-ton of garlic powder to it. Well cooked wings. But the sauce is not special at all to me.

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've found BWW varies a lot by location. There is one next to the hotel I stay at for work in DC, the food is really good. Burgers and wings. I never went to one around here, tried the one is Saugus a couple of months ago, it was horrible. I guess the one thing they have going for them is the beer on tap is always nice and cold.

Top Bottom