• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Budget AR red dot optics

greencobra

NES Member
I put together a polymer lower AR recently, just because I wanted to see what if. I have a few pretty good AR type rifles, and a few decent builds topped with Aimpoints, but this was a budget build and except for the barrel & upper....and optic, all parts came from my spares bin. Of course I don't want to mount a $500 plus Aimpoint or Eotech on a 400 dollar build just to plink and play with. Anyone have suggestions on what I might want to look at in the way of "budget" red dots.

Lucid, primary arms, vortex, bushnell trs25 or trs32. Do yourself a solid and stay clear from UTG, Sun optics, Leapers and the like. Bad djoudjou.

I'm looking for the same, and I think I'm going to get the Bushnell trs 25. I've read alot of positive reviews

The bushnell and the primary arms are the same factory I beleive. I emailed primary arms last year when they were sold out and if i remember correctly they told they are made in the same factory. Of course I can't find the email but they recommended to go with the TRS (in absences of their red dot being available). I think the the primary arms is a bit cheaper.

The bushnell and the primary arms are the same factory I beleive. I emailed primary arms last year when they were sold out and if i remember correctly they told they are made in the same factory. Of course I can't find the email but they recommended to go with the TRS (in absences of their red dot being available). I think the the primary arms is a bit cheaper.

OK I'll check primary out...thanks

Keep in mind and repeat after me: I WILL !!!NOT!!! ORDER A MOUNT FROM PRIMARY ARMS.
Their optics are a great value. Their mounts suck dick like a five dollar whore on payday at the factory. Get one with detachable base. The PA micro dot and the Bushnell TRS both fit on mounts for Aimpoint micro.

Keep in mind and repeat after me: I WILL !!!NOT!!! ORDER A MOUNT FROM PRIMARY ARMS.
Their optics are a great value. Their mounts suck dick like a five dollar whore on payday at the factory. Get one with detachable base. The PA micro dot and the Bushnell TRS both fit on mounts for Aimpoint micro.

Yes I've heard that there mounts suck. Is the Bushnell mount the same?

They sell good mounts as options. I get the American Defense QD mount from them, good price when you order it with a removable base Micro PA Red Dot. Their free mounts are junk.

Last edited:
Definitely PA all the way. You won't find a better optic for the money. As far as the mounts go, I can't speak to that because the ones I have came with decent mounts. One of my Microdots came with a QR that is as solid as the Larue I have on an Eotech, and the stock mounts on others I have hold zero perfectly so maybe I just got good ones?

Love the new PA that takes AA! No more friggin' button batteries:

ae6e46b4cb1a50038807580181c22778.jpg

I've got two TRS 25s. They work great. I got them during a time when they were offering a $50 rebate on them!! They ended up costing $35 ea.

If I ws going to spend $85 on them, I'd consider the Vortex. You can find original Sparcs for just a bit over $100 sometimes and they have a LIFETIME warranty. The TRS has a 2 year warranty. I don't know if this matters to you. But if it does, a few extra bucks for a Vortex might be worth it.

For what its worth, I'v found the modern 1-4 scopes to be just as fast as a red dot.

The leupold even has a red dot. But its a bit more $$ than the Nikons and the glass is not as good.

Cabelas has a closeout on a Nikon M223 for $200 on special now. These scopes are much more versatile than a red dot.

Don

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon-M-Riflescope/753477.uts

p.s. Here's a pic of the leupold on my M&P 15-22

Another vote for Primary Arms! I have two, a AA powered sort of Aimpoint M-4 clone and a micro. They have both held zero well. the micro has decent battery life and has been shot a lot on a 16" AR. It's even been dropped a few times and still is zeroed. It's not an Aimpoint but it's not $500- either.

Back
Top Bottom