• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Budget ammo and gun storage options

DJBrad

NES Member
8D7765FB-75A0-4563-824B-02A6F3B24B38.jpeg

4 Extended drawer file cabinet from Habitat for Humanity with one key for $34. I thought that was a bargain indeed. Of course if I extended all four drawers this cabinet would flip over real quick!

I spy with my little eye....

That cabinet is a good idea.

I got a bunch of tool boxes for ammo. I bought them cheap, I think less than $10 each and put a lock on each. It was cheaper than ammo boxes and I didnt need to do anything to them, they come ready for a lock.

They will hold quite a lot of ammo.

Or ... the cheap 12 gun cabinets that cost like $80/100. Those should hold more than the "legal" limit. The only downside is stacking it if you have a lot of calibers.

I took my old cheapo gun cabinet and put some shelves in it. It holds a good amount of ammo and with 5 shelves I am able to keep it sorted pretty well too.

That cabinet is a good idea.

I got a bunch of tool boxes for ammo. I bought them cheap, I think less than $10 each and put a lock on each. It was cheaper than ammo boxes and I didnt need to do anything to them, they come ready for a lock.

They will hold quite a lot of ammo.

Or ... the cheap 12 gun cabinets that cost like $80/100. Those should hold more than the "legal" limit. The only downside is stacking it if you have a lot of calibers.
I took my old cheapo gun cabinet and put some shelves in it. It holds a good amount of ammo and with 5 shelves I am able to keep it sorted pretty well too.

The cheap gun cabinet idea was on my mind but the $34 was cheaper and easier. Certainly most gun owners opt for a gun safe and then relegate their gun cabinet to ammo storage which is the frugal option. How’d you setup the shelves rumrunner?

I got a 3 drawer later file cabinet for free on the side of the road that my ammo is in.
I cleaned it, lived it, and slapped a coat of paint in it. Got a key off the internet.
Total cost was 2 hours and 7 bucks for the key. I put plywood scraps I had in the drawers to help with the weight.

Drive around a little your bound to find cabinets getting tossed.
File cabinets work well and sometimes you luck out and find the fire rated ones

The file cabinets at ReStore's are great solutions, use them for organizing by caliber, also for organizing my reloading components.

I've known people using them and locking tool chests from harbor freight for storing pistol and ammo in their man caves.

I pickup a 8 draw card file cabinet with key. Holds a lot and keeps it some what separate. Rest in ammo cans in a job box

I like ammo cans, especially the plastic ones cuz cheap, as I like being able to separate ammo and organize it, but also be able to move it around easier. Can't really take a filing cabinet to the range, but I do use filing cabinets and other things with drawers to store ammo, guns, mags, etc.

$34 for a four drawer filing cabinet is okay tho, but I'd rather have a locking cabinet that doesn't have drawers that slide out.

I have most of my ammo stored in Ammo Cans. I vacuum seal the boxes with a FoodSaver machine. Then I bought a bunch of Silica Packets on Amazon a throw a couple of those into each can. It’s a bit of work sealing up the boxes but now I feel pretty good about my long term ammo storage.

upload_2019-5-28_18-43-48.jpeg
upload_2019-5-28_18-44-19.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom