• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buddy was just denied his first purchase for an 8 year old possession charge

Update:

I sent all of his info to my go-to FFL, took 3 days to get a reply from NICS but it came back with a "Proceed" so he's good to go.

I'm guessing this was either some bullshit box-store policy, an incompetent employee, or some combination thereof.

Good, glad it worked out...ive only ever been denied once on a multiple purchase, my ffl had sold me many things in the past.so after if he asked me if had had just gotten into trouble and i said no. We just put it through again some point later and it was an instant proceed..sometimes things are just a screw up and not a vast conspiracy.

Most PDs keep a "contact" database. So even if you are not arrested, you end up in the system if they talk to you for any reason, like if you are a witness or victim of a crime. These are little "silos" of information kept by each PD.

And I realize that the OP is in RI, but just to again give a CT perspective, a number of towns have been sued and lost in civil court by people who remained in these databases after charges were dismissed, whether through normal means or through AR / Nolle process. So many towns DO scrub them of arrests if it leads to a dismissal.

Every police software package comes with "incident reports" . . . every contact, call, etc. results in an incident report filed, it justifies their existence in statistics they can point to. Those (in MA small town PDs) NEVER get expunged, period. My PD created an "incident report" for fingerprinting me for a FL license renewal. The in-house computer still has a report from >25 yrs ago when I called them about a dog barking at 2AM (owner left for the weekend and left the dog tied up outside with very little food or water).

CT PDs may do things differently, I don't know. Also few people are truly denied here for "suitability" but I'm willing to bet a very small percentage of them are ever honestly told why (usually given bogus reasons), plus the likelihood of prevailing in court is almost zero in MA so people just give up or move away.

The incident report is why every time a cop talks to you he asks to see ID. Even if he has no lawful reason to ask for it.

Most comply.

I've never complied unless there was a reason for me to provide ID. (Operating a motor vehicle, for example)
I had a cop in New London ~2007 ask me for my social security number after a minor traffic stop. (failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign) I laughed at him. He said it was "for identification". I asked him why my DL wasn't enough. I said I was afraid of identity theft. His exact words were "come on. We're the cops!!"

The incident report is why every time a cop talks to you he asks to see ID. Even if he has no lawful reason to ask for it.

Most comply.

I've never complied unless there was a reason for me to provide ID. (Operating a motor vehicle, for example)
I had a cop in New London ~2007 ask me for my social security number after a minor traffic stop. (failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign) I laughed at him. He said it was "for identification". I asked him why my DL wasn't enough. I said I was afraid of identity theft. His exact words were "come on. We're the cops!!"

Does your SS# come up on police data when they run your license?.

Does your SS# come up on police data when they run your license?.

Absolutely! Ever since ~1992 this has been the case. Back then I balked at providing SSN, spent an hour on the phone with RMV chief counsel who confirmed that they didn't have mine, but had to cave in or drive without a license as they wouldn't renew without it. After I renewed I stopped at my PD on the way home and ran my DL and it printed out on the first page with my SSN. Damn!

BUT the fewer pieces of paper, computer reports with your SSN, DOB, Mother's Maiden Name, etc. on it, the lower your risk of ID theft.

Back
Top Bottom