• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buddy of mine trying to get his dads old shotgun

So my buddy that I went trap shooting with last weekend is trying to get his dads shotgun so he doesn't have to borrow mine. Here is His situation. His father and he both live in RI his father no longer has a LTC and does not have paperwork for shotgun. My buddy is in the process of getting his LTC but does not have it. How can he transfer it to his name once he gets his LTC? He will be moving to Mass and getting his Mass LTC. Can he bring it to a Mass gun shop and have it transferred into his name without his father having the paper work or a license?

Thanks in advance

If he's still a resident of RI, take ownership in RI. Move to Massachusetts, get on with life.
Check the "Moving TO Massachusetts" thread here for specifics.

His father and he both live in RI his father

Firstly, there is no such thing as an LTC in RI. It is commonly called a pistol permit but has nothing to do the objective at hand.

If they both live in Rhode Island, here is the protocol: His father gives him shotgun. He takes possession. Done.

If you want to get stupid, he can have it transferred from father to son at an FFL- it's the only way he'll get a receipt but does old dad have a receipt? How does old dad prove it is his shotgun? The only way in gods green earth this becomes a problem is if your buddy starts committing crimes. When the police show up to arrest his ass then they will ask if he lawfully purchased the gun. RI has no registry and no way to prove that you did not legally took possession of a firearm. If he is not a felon, it is his.

Lets all stop being stupid about this, shall we?

Firstly, there is no such thing as an LTC in RI. It is commonly called a pistol permit but has nothing to do the objective at hand.

If they both live in Rhode Island, here is the protocol: His father gives him shotgun. He takes possession. Done.

If you want to get stupid, he can have it transferred from father to son at an FFL- it's the only way he'll get a receipt but does old dad have a receipt? How does old dad prove it is his shotgun? The only way in gods green earth this becomes a problem is if your buddy starts committing crimes. When the police show up to arrest his ass then they will ask if he lawfully purchased the gun. RI has no registry and no way to prove that you did not legally took possession of a firearm. If he is not a felon, it is his.

there is a difference between stupid and thorough.it would be stupid not to check.

So I'm making assumptions from the OPs post that the dad used to live in MA (since he no longer has an LTC) and the son does as well. Open and shut case, have dad hand gun to son and done. I also assume that since son is in RI that he is attempting to get a non-res LTC in MA? If he's just going to the range with a shotgun this is not needed just don't make any other stops.

Thank you, I apologise for calling it a LTC for RI IMO its simantics you knew what i was talking about

The OP's buddy might also want to purchase any guns that are "off-list" in MA before he moves here. He can always sell them FTF if he decides he doesn't like them.

[grin]

Here is the thing: Technically, a private sale in Rhode Island does exist but it requires you to copy down all of the information about the seller (see the state statutes, it's a long list of BS) and send it to local PD which is then supposed to do a background check. If they do not respond in 7 days, you can hand the buyer the gun.

But the problem is that PD's in Rhode Island REFUSE to acknowledge the law as written and will argue that a private sale is illegal and will ONLY do background checks for FFL's. Whether they believe this or not or are just being assh@les is anyones guess. But they break they law (cops break the law[rolleyes]) everytime they do it.

I personally would never do a private sale in Rhode Island unless the buyer has a town pistol permit. In that case, law exempts the buyer from the background check and the private sale is a no brainer. Frankly, the PD's make it impossible any other way than if the buyer has a town permit so there is no point in trying, if you want to stay within the law.

But if my Dad lived in Rhode Island (and for the record, he does not) who is to tell him or me whether he or I own the gun?

Guns are not cars and when I say, "lets not be stupid" I mean that we should realize that there is no way for a law enforcement agency to determine how and when the firearm was purchased or by who without a considerable amount of legwork which is unlikely to be worth their time unless a crime was committed with the weapon. Guns are not cars. There is no "title" to a gun. Their is no state record on file (in Rhode Island). If you move back into Massachusetts with a firearm, it's your firearm! They don't ask for a receipt at the state line.

If you really want a receipt, a proof of ownership, get it transferred from son to father in RI for $35. But you don't need it.

A caveat- this all assumes your buddy and his father are not whacko's that plan on using that double-barrelled shotgun to go on a killing spree….

You really need to take all of the Mass laws as you know them and forget them when talking about other states. Mass has ridiculous laws that no other state has.

I understand your apprehension because of what you have to follow. I'm actually not just singling you out. That is for most people who live in Mass.

Swamp_Yankee has the correct advice and comments. If I don't know someone I'm doing a transfer, If I do I'm buying it and walking away. Unless of course it's a C&R, then I'm just buying it from whomever.

Back
Top Bottom