• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bud got a denial

mikelawtown

NES Member
My buddy who has a class a no restrictions and has a few Firearms already went to buy a 22 and Was denied not delayed denied what’s the process usually for this

A few paths he can take. If he thinks it’s a total mistake and they made a basic error, ask the ffl to run the background check again. Double check your new 4473 and have the ffl double check his data entry. Typos happen and you get bad outcomes.

if this fails or the ffl is unwilling, you can appeal the denial. Appeals and VAF | Federal Bureau of Investigation. Again if they made a simple mistake this can come back quickly and you might never see the issue again. This can also take a long time. I had one customer that appealed and it took three years before he got a response. The response was “our bad” and they gave him a single use UPIN. The very next background he ran he got denied again.

The third option is to apply for a UPIN. This is not an appeal of the denial but an application for a UPIN because you get delayed or denied. If this is done online (vs mailing it in) you can get a UPIN in as short a time as 7-10 days. You then forever more have a UPIN to use in all background checks that should avoid delays or denials.

Lol. This is federal, not state. It is also dealer/FFL related. All not part of Lens knowledge base
not sure why laughing, I didn't know, and was just trying to help out OP with info/ and or someone who may be able to head him in the right direction. even still, Len may be able to shed some light. realizing this isn't just a MA problem, but Len is a pretty savvy dude, with a good amount of knowledge. if he can't help with knowledge, then so be it, but see no reason why to laugh off such idea of more knowledge/help

not sure why laughing, I didn't know, and was just trying to help out OP with info/ and or someone who may be able to head him in the right direction. even still, Len may be able to shed some light. realizing this isn't just a MA problem, but Len is a pretty savvy dude, with a good amount of knowledge. if he can't help with knowledge, then so be it, but see no reason why to laugh off such idea of more knowledge/help
I’m not laughing at you. I promise.

Lol. This is federal, not state. It is also dealer/FFL related. All not part of Lens knowledge base
True that this isn't my expertise, but I am aware of the process. I also have resources that most people don't have for the really tough questions, including a high level resource in BATFE.

At any rate, Crackpot is spot on regarding how to handle this.

Back
Top Bottom