Buckshot & Slug Shotshell Reloading Thread

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
Looking for a class on loading shotshells. Primarily Buckshot and Slug, but any training is good.
Thanks,
~Enbloc

NOTE: Thread move and parameter update: This thread will now become a data source for the RELOADING of 12 GAUGE BUCKSHOT & SLUG DEFENSIVE LOADS.
Feel free to update, add to and influence its growth...
~Enbloc

Last edited:
At the risk of oversimplification, shotgun reloading is a bit less complex than metallic.

With metallic, you work up loads ("start with 10% less than a full charge....) with shotgun, you follow a recipe, and don't deviate from it.

There are several reloading guides that will do the job. If you're going to load more than a few slugs or buckshot loads, get a progressive press. One shell per pull of the handle is a better ratio than 5 pulls per shell! [laugh]

I have a Lee Load All II that had been sitting above my reloading bench for 10 years never used. Back in April I started trying to reload ShotShells. What a PITA Shotshell reloading is. I mean I have been reloading pistol and rifle since 2009. I have the feel for that and have confidence working up loads with references.

With Shotshells it can be frustrating. Everyone says, and I believe them, that you cannot deviate from the recipes. That literally means the hulls, primers, power and wads all need to match for the weight of shot you are going to use. You want to load slugs than be prepared for using different components. I am still not clear on buckshot.

One time I had everything lined up for a recipe and realized the primer manufacturer was different. I mean they were type 209 primers but apparently CCI, Remington, Federal, etc... are different. Eventually I found an online reference for what I had through a powder manufacturer. My Lyman reference manual was useless. That is my own fault and not Lyman obviously.

I would start with the a Shotshell reloading handbook as my first purchase. Read it. Really. Then go from there. Find a recipe you want to use and buy the components. The act of actually reloading shotshells is not hard.

The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual has all kinds of different recipes using different components . I cast my own #4 buckshot from free lead , its all what your comfortable with and have at your disposal. I'm only buying primers and currently buy some shot cards when I don't fell like punching out several hundred from a sheet of Tyvek. My costs are my time and primers and powder.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have the loading manuals in the mail; but I've been looking at load data and can't find anything for the components I currently posses.
I will have to work up loads, making notes as I go...

Thanks for all the great replies...

~Enbloc

Yeah, I have the loading manuals in the mail; but I've been looking at load data and can't find anything for the components I currently posses.
I will have to work up loads, making notes as I go...

Thanks for all the great replies...

~Enbloc
Load data.com is wealth of data.
If you can’t find data it’s probably because it doesn’t exists.
With shotgun you can’t interchange stuff the way you can with metallic.
So if they don’t list that wad with that hulk it’s either the wrong style wad for that hull type or it’s too high pressure, not efficient etc

Fiocchi primed virgin hulls, WAA12R wads, Hornady 000 buck (0.35") Choice of powders: Unique/Green Dot/Blue Dot/ Herco

1599086243644.png

I’ll check when I get home.
Thanks. Following a known good recipe is fairly easy. My problem is working with unknown combinations of components.
Just getting started with shotshells and I'm finding it hard to source ALL the components of the 'recipe'...

I can't fathom why these manufacturers haven't "Universalized" their products, considering how long they have been around.

I'll go to Load data.com too and see if we come up with the same load.

Watch this Youtube Video , I know he's a monotone and his voice is like grating your hands with a cheese grater . BUT it does well on how to load #4 buckshot .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m2LFe6lTE4 then this one is for 0 buckshot /www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDKVisULvE
I watched the vid and came up confused. at 0:57 he says his load will be "10 pellets of single 0 Buck" but later he adds 23 #4 Buck Pellets.
Is he saying as long as the weight is the same (in this case 1 1/8 oz) pellet size doesn't matter??? (#0Buck vs #4Buck)

Just gave away two big trash bags of AA hulls. I’m a lousy but active trap shooter and ammo is still cheap and available.
I'm trying to work up 00/000 Buck and 1oz slug loads using Hi-Brass virgin primed hulls. I would/will use once-fired hulls, but want to cut my teeth on these first.
Problem is there are no 'known' recipes for my mix of components...

If you're going to load more than a few slugs or buckshot loads, get a progressive press.
From my research, it seems a progressive loader is great for trap/skeet loads, but not as good for buckshot. (due to the 'stacking' of the shot 'by hand' vs 'shot drop')
I have just received a MEC "Slugger" press for this type of loading and intend to 'roll-crimp' with over-shot cards and buffers/fillers.

1599088234773.png

I watched the vid and came up confused. at 0:57 he says his load will be "10 pellets of single 0 Buck" but later he adds 23 #4 Buck Pellets.
Is he saying as long as the weight is the same (in this case 1 1/8 oz) pellet size doesn't matter??? (#0Buck vs #4Buck)
Generally speaking the shot size doesn’t matter. Exceptions would be how it stacks inside the wad. Some wads and hull do not have the proper amount of room for 9-00 buck. They bulge the hull and will not chamber. so you have to load them with a different wad and load them in four stacks of two

It’s pretty annoying that you have to have so many different components to load a handful of different shells. I stick with AA hulls and WAA12 wads I can load hunting or trap loads in there and I can also load nine pallet 00 buck.

From my research, it seems a progressive loader is great for trap/skeet loads, but not as good for buckshot. (due to the 'stacking' of the shot 'by hand' vs 'shot drop')
I have just received a MEC "Slugger" press for this type of loading and intend to 'roll-crimp' with over-shot cards and buffers/fillers.

View attachment 386239

I've never done it. That said, I'm cheap. I almost never shoot Buck or Slugs, so I'd not invest in a machine to do it. That's just me, though. De gustabus non disputandum est. (or something along those lines)

View attachment 386239
Yep. I use a MEC 650 and take off the shot bottle when loading slugs or buck

The purpose of this thread was to learn about reloading 12ga self defense loads. Not to be cheap and avoid buying factory loads, but to be self-sustaining in the event that Buck & Slugs dry up or become unavailable. (which they are virtually now) I will be researching videos/load books/technical manuals and will report back here from time to time with my findings.
It is my hopes that others may find this thread useful in a world that ammunition supply may become 'unstable'...

Please feel free to update this thread with data/info/recipes and notes as you see fit... "For the Common Good of fellow shooters..."

~Enbloc

This LuckyGunner link has some interesting data on common buckshot patterns...

More Stuff You Should Know About Buckshot [Part 2] - Lucky Gunner Lounge

NOTE: Because this is a "Reloading Class" sub-forum, and would be better served in the "Reloading" sub, I'm going to see if a Mod can move it there.

I don't want to shit this sub up...
~Enbloc

Fiocchi primed virgin hulls, WAA12R wads, Hornady 000 buck (0.35") Choice of powders: Unique/Green Dot/Blue Dot/ Herco

View attachment 386229
do you know what hulls you have?
Length , style and such?
WAA12r wads are old i think?
made for heavy pay loads 1-1/4oz +
Those are made for tappered hulls.
Load data is all over the place with shotzhell as there is a huge variety of styles and manufactures.
Toss in the almost never ending combinations of components.....

Last edited:
Mac, they are these:

logo_fio150.jpg

Fiocchi 12ga 2.75, Red, 27mm MegaBrass (100/bag)
  • Color: Red
  • Top Edge: Skived
  • Depth: 2.440"
  • Length: 2.741"
  • Brass: 25mm
  • Primer: Fiocchi-616 (209 primer)
  • Headstamp: (generic) "12 (w/stars)"
  • Wall Thickness: 0.029"
They are "straight-wall" hulls.

I’ve got a Dillon “square deal B” set up and a bunch of die cals. A bunch of supplies. I took Eddie Coyles introduction to reloading. I forgot everything I learned. :( I need a refresher.
Now I want a MEC. [laugh]

I will be using the MES 600 Slugger press for my Lyman 525gn 'Pellet' slugs, that I am casting with wheel weight alloy. (example on right)
View attachment 386301

Here is a video on it.

And this Load Recipe: Lyman 525 Pellet slug RECIPES

Theses slugs are designed to be used with a standard plastic cup wad and star crimp. Yes you can find over powder wads and over shot wads and roll crimp but its not what the design intended plus it adds to more stuff to buy and need.

1. Take your hull and manually insert a wad.
look to see if A. Does it fall right in B. Tension fit but easy to push with your finger C. Does not go in easy with finger.
Now drop one of your slugs in and check its fit.
Does it snag the wad. Is it a slip fit or is it a tight fit that will bulge case wall?

Let me be clear i load all sorts of stuff in shot shells but I generally on the lower end of known load data for my components and powder charge for payload weight.

No see if your powder charge , wad and slug give you the height you need for a proper crimp.

I posted a few videos somewhere on what I do.

I want books on slug and buck.

any alternatives to ballistic products that ship to mass. For gas checks cork wads or anything else to throw some junk yard yeet shot shell loads?

Back
Top Bottom