Buckshot & Slug Shotshell Reloading Thread

Does anyone rework cheap skeet loads with the Lee 7/8 ounce slug mold?
I have tried it don't feel super comfortable loading on unknown components. They were rather accurate at 50 yards played with adding cardboard discs behind to keep slugs from sliding in the shells or power discs punched out with a gasket punch. Neat idea but probably not the safest kind of runs into hold my beer territory. . .

I have tried it don't feel super comfortable loading on unknown components. They were rather accurate at 50 yards played with adding cardboard discs behind to keep slugs from sliding in the shells or power discs punched out with a gasket punch. Neat idea but probably not the safest kind of runs into hold my beer territory. . .
I was thinking of using 1 Oz loads then the 7/8 slug would generate less pressure? Seems to be a height discrepancy as you say.

I was hoping since the slug sits in the wad, fouling/accuracy wouldn't be an issue. My barrel gets horrendously leaded after 40 standard foster slugs. It really starts leading after 5 which is when I see an accuracy decrease. Less recoil would be nice too.

I have done both depending on the wards some fit in and some sit on top I bought a diamond hole saw for drilling granite so it leaves the crimp ring so there is no gluing that's were the power discs come in so the slug doesn't slide around. Also the gain in lead from casting is always a plus. But again unknown components is something that scares me. But will due it in time of need. For shortages

I got bored a few years back and put together this chart of the 12ga Claybuster wad lineup. No guarantees on accuracy (feel free to reply with corrections and I'll update it). It's ordered from tallest to shortest with the CB8100-12 as the baseline (it's what I was using at the time I made this). Might be useful for some. Keep in mind the diameter, too (straight wall vs tapered hulls). I forget which hulls are which and always have to look it up.

Claybuster_Wads.jpg

hey all, I am getting into reloading and was planning to do 9mm and shotshell reloading. I'm looking just to make up plinking ammo for both, and I have most of the gear except components, and am making a shopping list. Are there any powders you like that are good for pulling double duty as shotshell/pistol powder? especially that will probably see alot of cold weather (I read that can be an issue for shell loading?) Any recs for stores in the north shore area/southern nh area for shell components?

Also, any of you use a chronograph with your shotgun loads? Or any other recommendations for checking safety of a load?

hey all, I am getting into reloading and was planning to do 9mm and shotshell reloading. I'm looking just to make up plinking ammo for both, and I have most of the gear except components, and am making a shopping list. Are there any powders you like that are good for pulling double duty as shotshell/pistol powder? especially that will probably see alot of cold weather (I read that can be an issue for shell loading?) Any recs for stores in the north shore area/southern nh area for shell components?

Also, any of you use a chronograph with your shotgun loads? Or any other recommendations for checking safety of a load?
Check Glenn’s Ammo in North Reading. I don’t know of any other dealers on the north shore with the amount of reloading components he has.

Al’s in Derry was always the go to shotgun reloading supply place, Glenns is some what a new player and most likely the better of “reloading” stores in MA

I use Clays powder for lots of pistol and 90% of my shotshell loads.
Trap loads and light 1oz slig loads

My loads are anemic , 900-1150 fps

Giving this thread a bump. Looking for some advice on loading buckshot. Not a lot...just enough for occasional "tactical practice".

I've got a Mec600jr and have done a decent amount of birdshot loads for breaking clays. Using the Mec600 for buckshot, shot will be added by hand all other steps on press.

Given AA or equivalent hulls, what wad is going to allow for 9 pellet "00" buck ? Internet says you'll need to trim the petals on wads to get them to stack 3x3 ? Others claim to use single "0" buck instead of double "00" so it fits without messing with the wad ? I am either using 7/8 or 1 1/8 loads so I have plenty of those wads.

Forgot how much I hate the shotgun wad naming and substitution madness....when I was first trying to figure this sh@t out I had an old timer tell me "just get the blue ones" ;-)

Use RedDot for my super light clay buster loads...what powder should I be looking for to replicate decent "00" "defense" ammo ?

Thanks.

Giving this thread a bump. Looking for some advice on loading buckshot. Not a lot...just enough for occasional "tactical practice".

I've got a Mec600jr and have done a decent amount of birdshot loads for breaking clays. Using the Mec600 for buckshot, shot will be added by hand all other steps on press.

Given AA or equivalent hulls, what wad is going to allow for 9 pellet "00" buck ? Internet says you'll need to trim the petals on wads to get them to stack 3x3 ? Others claim to use single "0" buck instead of double "00" so it fits without messing with the wad ? I am either using 7/8 or 1 1/8 loads so I have plenty of those wads.

Forgot how much I hate the shotgun wad naming and substitution madness....when I was first trying to figure this sh@t out I had an old timer tell me "just get the blue ones" ;-)

Use RedDot for my super light clay buster loads...what powder should I be looking for to replicate decent "00" "defense" ammo ?

Thanks.
See if MEC still has load data

Thanks.
If you’re using a AA wad or clay buster equivalent and the AA bull I find you can push 3x3 - 00 buck over 18-19 grains of red dot and it’s awesome.

Cylinder bore 18.5” barrel kept all pellets on a Silhouette at 30 yards. Light recoil. No deformation to the shot causing erratic patterns.

Cast from wheel weights so they’re a little harder than the swaged lead you get from the suppliers.

Every buck shot shell I have torn down just had a short wad/powder seal, some have fill along with the shot.
If your just looking for range fodder you can see how many shot balls you can fit into what ever your wad your using will fit. Weigh it and powder charge accordingly.

I use my 1oz target load data with 1oz lee slug for range fun. Its only 1150 fos though.
Far from slug velocities

Buddy of mine who loves Civil War era BP loading taught me how to load BP muzzleloader "Buck and Ball" loads. Really cool stuff !

Buddy of mine who loves Civil War era BP loading taught me how to load BP muzzleloader "Buck and Ball" loads. Really cool stuff !

That’s awesome. He has some great videos on effectiveness of those and similar cartridges. Really cool stuff

Would B, BB, BBB, FF, and T shot be more like bird shot or more like buck shot as far as reloading goes? How much difference is there in reloading these?

Would B, BB, BBB, FF, and T shot be more like bird shot or more like buck shot as far as reloading goes? How much difference is there in reloading these?
B-T is .17” -.22”
For the most part it all “loads” the same.
I dont think BBB , FF or T will feed well in the charge bar on my MEC.
The key is finding the right combo of wads to get a good crimp.
You can get the wads for steel shot …..thats usually what you find in the B sizes these days.
I no longer load anything but
Trap loads and Lee Slugs
I used to use a over powder seal/wad and the over shot fiber wads for all sorts of loads. And would stack the fiber wads if needed to get a good crimp.
Star crimp. I never had much like with the roll crimp tool

Last edited:
As for southern NH, Shooters Outpost in Hooksett and Al’s gun and reel shop in Derry. I haven’t been to Al’s in years but he’s got a room dedicated just to powder.
Does that cranky old hag still go cranky on all the customers still work there ? That was my "one and done" experience with Al's when I asked if they had any IMR4064 during the last powder panic.

Does that cranky old hag still go cranky on all the customers still work there ? That was my "one and done" experience with Al's when I asked if they had any IMR4064 during the last powder panic.
Have not been to Al myself in many years. Used to get large orders for trap feom them
We would go up and pick up the 6 jug cases of powder , cases if wads 5000 to a case and lead shot….to put in perspective
We stopped making that trip when lead shot hit $28 a bag from him.
Been a good while.
I think im finally getting low on wads maybe 3-4k left…

Back
Top Bottom