BUCK KNIVES THREAD!

Sorry I'm late...

First off, I love that "Buck-colored" sheath. Geared towards matching a Carpenter's belt and not the black leather sheaths used on their Sporting Series 110 called the "Folding Hunter"

Also, to a Collector, something like your "Work-Man" Buck 110... is considered desirable. Good eye, and Kudos...
Variation is key...
~Enbloc

Also, most of the 110 Work-Man knives I've seen have the Roll Mark closer to the heel of the blade. Not near the front of the nail nick...

1606774521902.png1606775005947.png
I think they were moved forward because the rearward working edge of the blade tended to get more use in the Trades and it was destroying the logo...

Last edited:
Also, most of the 110 Work-Man knives I've seen have the Roll Mark closer to the heel of the blade. Not near the front of the nail nick...

View attachment 417332
I think they were moved forward because the rearward working edge of the blade tended to get more use in the Trades and it was destroying the logo...
Interesting...Also it seems at least for that year, it came with a black sheath and the scales are a different wood, looks almost like a light cherry.

Interesting...Also it seems at least for that year, it came with a black sheath and the scales are a different wood, looks almost like a light cherry.
Your scales look like BUCK's Dymondwood... first used in 1994...

Your scales look like BUCK's Dymondwood... first used in 1994...
It could very well be...it's only been recently that they started using ebony again after many years of not being able to get it because of the Lacey Act of 1900. Only after Taylor guitars and several other companies got together and started growing sustainable ebony was Buck able to start offering it again.

Last edited:
For years, I've been on a search to replace the Buck 110 that my dad gave me for my 10th birthday in 1966 that I lost while hiking in the San Jacinto Mts east of LA in the mid 70's. I have seen quite a few over the years but they were all usually pretty beat up. Today I found one that is in the same condition as the one I lost and bought it. It wasn't as cheap as I would've liked (it never is) but it is on the way to me tomorrow...

She's a beauty:

1606796021778.jpeg

1606796072520.jpeg

1606796218830.jpeg

Attachments

• 1606796103598.jpeg
    1606796103598.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 1
I have been using Buck 110's with combat grips as they used to be called now called finger grips since the 80's. I have 2 so when I have to have one repaired I have a backup. I gave one to a friend of mine so I actually had 3 and they have always been a workhorse. If you send the knife back to buck with a letter of praise they will usually waive the repair fees. I don't mind paying the fees now because when they send the knife back it looks like it came from the showroom floor and I want them to stay in business so I will pay.

They are back to being American made as well they fell off the wagon for a couple of years but I am more than happy they know when their product was better quality.

She's a beauty:
Yes she is. That's a great sheath too. I call them "huggers" because they are narrower than the new ones and seem to "hug the knife so well.
Congrats.
~Enbloc

Edit: Considering that the Buck 110 was introduced in 1964, your Dad was very "Forward Thinking" as to blades. Nice.

Last edited:
Just found this going through my dad’s stuff.
It’s about 40 years old. Still sharp as hell. Nice patina. Lol
View attachment 417422
yep...very cool...a four dot knife. Made between 1981 and 1986. It looks like it's hardly used. A little Tru-Oil on the wood and some flitz polish on the brass and it will look almost new. The green is caused by sweat or other salts. Sometimes the case will cause it too because of the chemicals they used when they tanned it. The green is called verdigris. If you polish it off, eventually you'll get a very nice brownish patina that a lot of Buck knife owners like.

yep...very cool...a four dot knife. Made between 1981 and 1986. It looks like it's hardly used. A little Tru-Oil on the wood and some flitz polish on the brass and it will look almost new. The green is caused by sweat or other salts. Sometimes the case will cause it too because of the chemicals they used when they tanned it. The green is called verdigris. If you polish it off, eventually you'll get a very nice brownish patina that a lot of Buck knife owners like.
Thanks. I was going to clean it up but I’m always hesitant with vintage type items. So, I shouldn’t go for a bright brass look? Just a slight rub down?

Thanks. I was going to clean it up but I’m always hesitant with vintage type items. So, I shouldn’t go for a bright brass look? Just a slight rub down?
If you're going to use it, it won't hurt to clean it up a bit. It's not really a "rare" piece per se'. It sounds like it has more sentimental value for you than any monetary value so if it were mine, I'd clean it up a bit. It won't detract from any collector value it might have. It's not like you're refinishing a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top [grin]

I've bought way too many Bucks in the past month.
Lol. I've been going a little wild myself. Not just BUCKs though. "7 knife November" I'm calling it.

I did add 2 new BUCKs though. a 112 Ranger and a 120 General...

1606799995211.png1606800028219.png

If you're going to use it, it won't hurt to clean it up a bit. It's not really a "rare" piece per se'. It sounds like it has more sentimental value for you than any monetary value so if it were mine, I'd clean it up a bit. It won't detract from any collector value it might have. It's not like you're refinishing a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top [grin]
Yes, more sentimental value. I remember my dad wearing it when I was around 10 or 11? I so much wanted one of my own, but my father said I wasn’t ready for it. He gave me a beautiful Swiss Army knife for my next birthday. I proceeded to cut the shit out of my thumb with it, while whittling a canoe out of a stick. I guess I wasn’t ready for that Buck! Lol. I still have the scar today. I will be giving the knife to my son.
My dad is still with us at 75, but he is fighting cancer, so......

er, better make that "15 Knife November"
I wasn't counting the ones that haven't arrived yet. (or, do I count them for December?)

I blame @enbloc ... [rofl2]

Last edited:
Lol. I've been going a little wild myself. Not just BUCKs though. "7 knife November" I'm calling it.

I did add 2 new BUCKs though. a 112 Ranger and a 120 General...

View attachment 417426View attachment 417427
I actually prefer the 112s over the 110s for some reason for EDC...plus where I work, blades are supposed to be < 3” though I’ve worn my 110 hundreds of times and no one even blinks when I whip it out to cut something. I usually just wear my 1988 112. It’s a little lighter on my belt and doesn’t get caught on something so easily if I cut around a right hand corner too closely.

You really are a True Blue Buck-man, aren't you! Idaho Strong! [smile]

Yes, more sentimental value. I remember my dad wearing it when I was around 10 or 11? I so much wanted one of my own, but my father said I wasn’t ready for it. He gave me a beautiful Swiss Army knife for my next birthday. I proceeded to cut the shit out of my thumb with it, while whittling a canoe out of a stick. I guess I wasn’t ready for that Buck! Lol. I still have the scar today. I will be giving the knife to my son.
My dad is still with us at 75, but he is fighting cancer, so......
So sorry about your dad Canndo. Cancer sucks so bad. I lost a very close friend to stomach cancer a year or so ago.

i got myself really good with the Buck my dad gave me at ten years old...I had only had the knife a few weeks and I was sitting on the toilet, pants around my ankles, whittling a stick...it slipped and I gashed my right leg just above the knee. A crap load of blood lost and ten stitches later, I was as good as new, but my dad took the Buck away from me for several weeks. I still have that scar too.

You really are a True Blue Buck-man, aren't you! Idaho Strong! [smile]
Yep...I became a real fan when I lived in San Diego and they were in El Cajon, about a 20 minute ride from where I lived...I went to some of their open houses over the years I was there.

@timbo,
If you'd consider it, could you post up a photo of your BUCKs for posterity?
~Enbloc

Someday, I'd love to see a thread with photos of Fathers handing their Sons or Daughters their First Knife or a treasured family heirloom blade...

Oh, and that 120 General? I’ve been looking at one of those too but I’ll probably have to wait until after Christmas. I can’t make up my mind if I want a wood handle like the one in the picture or the black phenolic one.

Oh, and that 120 General? I’ve been looking at one of those too but I’ll probably have to wait until after Christmas. I can’t make up my mind if I want a wood handle like the one in the picture or the black phenolic one.
Lol. I bought a black & silver 119 a few years back and also loved the cocobolo & brass so I picked one up too.
I found a 120 in phenolic for short money today and ordered it. I had to stop though when I found myself looking at the 124... I've got a problem.

As the ammo supply started foundering, the knife supply increased!

@timbo,
If you'd consider it, could you post up a photo of your BUCKs for posterity?
~Enbloc

Someday, I'd love to see a thread with photos of Fathers handing their Sons or Daughters their First Knife or a treasured family heirloom blade...
Absolutely...I’m giving two of my grandsons their first Bucks for Christmas and my oldest son as well. I decided to get them the less expensive 112s with the plastic, not the wood. They are about half the price but the blade is the same. My son will get a new one with ebony...not sure if it will be 110 or a 112 yet.

Absolutely...I’m giving two of my grandsons their first Bucks for Christmas and my oldest son as well. I decided to get them the less expensive 112s with the plastic, not the wood. They are about half the price but the blade is the same. My son will get a new one with ebony...not sure if it will be 110 or a 112 yet.
Good for you!

Handing someone a gift knife is like handing a History not yet written...

1606802554466.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom