BUCK KNIVES THREAD!

The Auto-110s are great looking. Let me know what you think... if you get one. [wink]

I love collecting guns... but collecting Blades is a whole other Addiction. And far more pleasing!
~Enbloc

I love my Buck knives from back in the day.
I bought this M9 in 1993 and carried it on US Army active duty for many years. The + dates it to 1991.View attachment 410738View attachment 410739

God, that's beautiful! I have looked for one of those since I saw one back in the 90's...I wish I'd bought the one I saw then when they were relatively inexpensive. I've played the waiting game with an issued Camillus Ka-Bar too but alas, prices have crept out of my pocket book range

The Auto-110s are great looking. Let me know what you think... if you get one. [wink]

I love collecting guns... but collecting Blades is a whole other Addiction. And far more pleasing!
~Enbloc

One thing I've noticed about guns vs. knives...you don't have to keep feeding knives expensive ammo.

Tonight I was going through some boxes I needed to sort through and found a 1988 112 ranger I forgot I had. How does one forget they have a Buck knife? I think the reason I put it away is because the thread holding the sheath/case together was coming out and I was going to get it repaired...or something. There’s a shoe repair place nearby. Perhaps I’ll drop it off tomorrow and have them resew it.. i could just buy a new case for it but I think the older cases are better made than the new ones.

The 112 Ranger is a great size knife. I prefer the older cases too. Good luck at the Cobbler's.

Here's a question for all you Buckheads that might use the Lansky sharpener....I just bought one and am wondering what degrees the edge on a Buck 110/112 is originally ground to. Google hasn't been much help.

I have several that have been sharpened over the years but I was going to try and get them back to Factory Specs if possible. None of them are as sharp as they were when first bought and some I have bought at yard sales, etc so who knows how they were sharpened...

Also, after having watched several YouTube videos, the edge was usually finished off with a strop so I'm looking at those. I wish I had the one my dad used to have (and that I wore more times than I care to remember across my butt).

Last edited:
Tombo on my Lansky I used a marker on the edge of my 112 and matched it at 25 degrees worked great.
Ok great. That’s what I used. I guess I need to practice a bit. I’m getting the knife sharp but not quite as sharp as I’d like. Like I said in a previous post, maybe it’s time to invest in a strop.

I’m sending in a 112 to Buck that needs some TLC...when I get it back, I’m going to try and see what they use for an angle but from what I’ve read, they use anything from a 25-30 degree edge. They sharpen by hand on a wheel there so there may be some variation in angles.

Last edited:
I picked this up locally for $29.95 + tax. Buck 112 slim (2.6 oz). Should be a good cheap EDC to abuse at work. Didn't know how to resize the pic, LOL.
View attachment 261257
I just bought a few of these for Christmas presents for a couple of my older grandsons...13 and 15 years old. I haven't seen them yet but I've heard they're very nice.

Dammit! This is nuts. I've bought a 103 (new), two 110's, two 2 dot 112s and a no dot 3 line 112 in the past week on e-bay. I.need.to.stop.

Just sent one of the 112 2 dots to Buck as it needs a little TLC. They do a polish/sharpen/adjust for $6.95. I asked them to keep the blade on it as it's fine.

Pictures when I get them all cleaned up and all together.

There are also some sweet little open-top sheaths out there...

iu

iu

iu

iu
iu
I'd be so afraid of them falling out...

Can you get a pocket clip installed on a buck 110? I like mine, but unless I'm hunting I hate carrying it on my belt, but it doesn't ride to secure in my rear pocket and is intrusive riding in my front pocket. I think a wide, sturdy pocket clip would fix that.

Year ago Case knives came out with a slim line trapper with a pocket clip and thumb-stud, its perfect, though not as beefy as a 110 of course.

I have a friend here at work that is a machinist who has a Buck 112 with brass bolsters on it. He drilled and tapped holes that would accept tiny helicoils (M3, I think) and installed those. It works great for him

I have a friend here at work that is a machinist who has a Buck 112 with brass bolsters on it. He drilled and tapped holes that would accept tiny helicoils (M3, I think) and installed those. It works great for him
Yeah, I've seen youtube vids with clip mods on BUCKs. I like the Helicoil idea. Used them a lot on older Harleys...

It's one of those cases where I'd need to try it before I buy it.
Yeah. Internet only gets you so far.

I'd love to know if there is a brick & mortar store somewhere around here; well-stocked with quality knives and accoutrements. Anyone know of one?

Gun shows and Bass Pro/Cabela's have a few more than regular sporting goods stores...

Yeah, I've seen youtube vids with clip mods on BUCKs. I like the Helicoil idea. Used them a lot on older Harleys...
He mentioned that the brass they use is pretty soft. He didn't trust just a tap and a machine screw. He went with a metric screw because that's what we have here. A 4-40 has a coarser thread and may have held better (not stripped out as easily when screwing it in) but the way he did it worked out great. He put a little blue loctite on the screws and he was good to go.

He mentioned that the brass they use is pretty soft. He didn't trust just a tap and a machine screw. He went with a metric screw because that's what we have here. A 4-40 has a coarser thread and may have held better (not stripped out as easily when screwing it in) but the way he did it worked out great. He put a little blue loctite on the screws and he was good to go.
Love a photo if you ever get a chance and he's willing... for Posterity here on 'KNIVES'.

Which reminds me. I'm starting my look-around for a new digital camera... @greencobra [smile]

Nieces aren't dependable...

Yeah. Internet only gets you so far.

I'd love to know if there is a brick & mortar store somewhere around here; well-stocked with quality knives and accoutrements. Anyone know of one?

Gun shows and Bass Pro/Cabela's have a few more than regular sporting goods stores...
if you ever get out to Springfield, Missouri, check out the Bass Pro there, that would be the place to check out or maybe the big one in Hamburg, PA. I went to the one in Springfield last year and over two days, I didn't see everything. It's huge. They do have an extensive knife inventory there.

Last edited:
if you ever get out to Springfield, Missouri, check out the Bass Pro there, that would be the place to check out or maybe the big one in Hamburg, PA. I went the one in Springfield last year and over two days, I didn't see everything. It's huge. They do have an extensive knife inventory there.
I'll be in Springfield, MO in mid-December. Picking up a puppy. (I'm a ride-along) I'll take your advice. Thanks.
~Enbloc

I have an open top for my leather man it holds great no wiggle at all and it’s probably a year old now. It is custom fit to it it is from nay’s custom leather . They do gun stuff, knives good thick leather and good stitching

Hey all,

I just bought one of these cheap off Flea-bay and it was delivered this weekend. I've looked on Google for the back story on these knives but couldn't find anything definitive. It seems like a really nice knife and except for the etch on the blade, it appears to be identical to a regular 110. By the date stamp, this was was made in 1995. Were they marketed differently?

1606745901056.png

EDIT: Well, from the horse's mouth, so to speak (from another forum). Interesting I've never seen these before until this auction:

CJ Buck

Workman was a series developed to try to get knives merchandised in two different locations in a store. There was a separate catalog and sell sheets. We were going to put separate rep groups selling to the tool/hardware buyer as well as the sporting goods buyer.

We tried to make some unique products as well as take some existing product and create a "family" that could go into the tool/hardware section of a store as well as be more appropriate for the then new home center stores.

It was not successful enough to cover the overhead and inventory required and discarded.

I will ask Joe if he has any of those workman catalogs

CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

Last edited:
@timbo this material might keep you busy until enbloc comes back...i guess 10 minutes or so....

Thanks GC...I'd seen that post and was puzzled because he says that they had nickle bolsters, Mine clearly has brass (polished since that picture was taken). Seems like Buck was experimenting with different marketing schemes a decade or two back.

Back
Top Bottom