BUCK KNIVES THREAD!

I have carried a Buck 110 at work for most of my career, recently sent my favorite 20 year old 110 to Buck to have a new blade installed, as I broke the tip off. They rebuilt the whole knife and it's just like new. The repairs were free. I was totally blown away at thier factory service so I ordered a new sheath. IMG_20170807_192134_868.jpg

Last edited:
The blade sharpness was a bummer on the Buck 112 slim. I broke out my Spyderco Sharpmaker & spent few minutes on the two sets of ceramic bars until it felt decent on my finger nail. The knife will never accidentally open period!! It is crazy tight. I’m sure working it with some oil will smoothen it out. I make take off one of the two thumb studs off and the pocket clip since it tears up end of my jeans really bad over time as a general rule. Will update down the road.

Not a fan of the tumble-wash finish Buck uses, but I love the Bos heat treating...

FYI - the thumb studs on the Buck 112 slim are PRESSED on!! So when I tried to unscrew it, it just spun and spun. So I THOUGHT I was unscrewing it and once I had it a part I could see the splines on one side: DUH?! Then I just pulled on it and it came a part easy. LOL, Unfortunately, if I want to put them back on, it isn't going to happen on top of scuffing them all up. I guess I will have to make a new one when I have the time, tapping little #2-56 in stainless steel isn't my idea of fun. So I have learned you tap the bar first and once that is done you can turn the outside down & cut it off on the lathe. Otherwise if you bust the tap off on the inside then you lost the time of shaping it. I may be lazy and pirate some other thumb studs off another knife. ;) I guess I should have left it alone. :p

I want to start this off with a video that leaves me drooling.
When speed and style meet...

Just saw this thread now and I'm gonna type this just so I don't forget to add to it later tonight. I have one of these, that was done as a custom conversion before Buck actually started making them in-house. There's quite a story that goes along with it too! ;)

Clean that Brass Bolster! Love the knife and the fact that it was handed down from your Dad. Family Heirlooms are the most precious blades of them all...
~Matt

iu
iu

I like cotton pads better than cotton balls on my brass...

So I bought this years ago at one of the gun shows. I don’t remember how much it was but at least $225. It was a plain Jane 110 but was made into a “discreet auto” by some company I’m not sure on the name of. You can still open it the regular lock back way, and it feels the same. But the rocker switch is activated by pushing on the lower part of that silver insert. Pushing on the top or center of it does nothing. I had my initials lightly engraved on the switch. Several hunting seasons ago I lost it out on a wooded island surrounded by marsh, and almost exactly one year later a buddy found it. Unfreakinbelievable. That island saw more than a few extreme high tides in one years time so the knife was rusted shut. I soaked it in CLP for days, slowly worked it free, took the spring/switch mechanism apart for further cleaning and although it shows its journey, it still works perfectly.
I’ll give it to my son one day.
8329FAAA-7C6A-4564-A4FB-A295FCC114AD.jpeg
F13CA1A9-96EE-45FD-9259-DCF2554EEC6D.jpeg

ETA: I have more Bucks with a few more short stories... I’ll get to those tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here are a few fixed blade Bucks given to me by family members.
The model 102, my father took off some crackhead who tried to bring it into the Lowell courthouse in the mid 90's. He gave it to me around '94 or so. I still have a tiny scar on the palm of my hand from when I was about 15 and showing off with it at a party, throwing it up in the air and catching it by the handle except the one time it came down blade-first. That knife has been with me on all kinds of adventures over the years.

The model 118, my uncle took off some kid in Brockton High back in the early eighties. He actually just gave that knife to me a few years ago. Him and my aunt were moving and they found a bunch of stuff they'd stored away years back.

The 102 (brown/brown) was made in '93, and the 118 (black/black) was made between '72 and '86.
001.JPG

002.JPG

Pics below = My Buck 110 with older style belt "loop" leather sheath.

The last time I checked, they don't make the looped sheath anymore (just the flat belt strap sheath in the 2nd pic down = I don't like that style and a lot of other Buck-owners tend to feel the same way).

The second loop belt sheath is for my Leatherman Multitool.

Last, before someone asks, the thing on the blade is a brass thumb bar.

20190420_055805.jpg 20190420_055846.jpg 20190420_055952.jpg

For people that are not familiar with Buck knives, the older models are really sought after. Here's the blade date mark information on what year a buck was made:

LINK: https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/

HOW OLD IS MY KNIFE?
BUCK’S DATE CODE CHART
The symbols stamped onto your blade indicate which year your knife was made. Please refer to this chart to find out the age of your knife.

buck-datecode-graphic2.jpg

110 & 112 MODELS:
1974-1980
One dot on each side of model number

1980-1981
One dot on left side, two dots on right side

1981-1986
Two dots on each side

The anvil was used instead of model numbers (on all knives) this year only.

Customs still use the anvil mark.

110 Folding Hunter 50th Anniversary Edition, 2014
firststamp.jpg
-Initial production of 110 anniversary features anvil only blade stamp

secondstamp.jpg
- Most production includes Buck USA and anvil blade stamp

D72095B6-F7D6-4FEA-B02B-A027B2011BA2.jpeg My deer gutters. I bought the 112 in the 70’s and it’s a tool, I’ve tossed in in tool boxes broke the tip off,reground a new tip and never have lost it remarkably.

The craftsman was my dads from the 50’s ?

It stays in the house , since he passed.

I watched and old guy field dress his deer , taking out his 110 out of a pocket and making short work of it.
I was so impressed that a small folder could do the job so well,

I have done the same since.

Last edited:
Love those two knives and their back-story W.E.C. Thanks for sharing!

My deer gutters. I bought the 112 in the 70’s and it’s a tool, I’ve tossed in in tool boxes broke the tip off,reground a new tip and never have lost it remarkably.

The craftsman was my dads from the 50’s ?

It stays in the house , since he passed.

I watched and old guy field dress his deer , taking out his 110 out of a pocket and making short work of it.
I was so impressed that a small folder could do the job so well,

I have done the same since.

You can’t beat knives with history.

FWIW:
Buck Knives has a great lifetime warranty and will replace the blade at N/C.

I sent in a 110FG that I broke the tip off of digging out a slug. I have a lot of history with that knife as it was on my belt when I was in the service and every hunt I have ever gone on. They replaced the blade and nothing else was changed so the history written in the nicks and dings acquired over time remain.

Bob

You can’t beat knives with history.

FWIW:
Buck Knives has a great lifetime warranty and will replace the blade at N/C.

I sent in a 110FG that I broke the tip off of digging out a slug. I have a lot of history with that knife as it was on my belt when I was in the service and every hunt I have ever gone on. They replaced the blade and nothing else was changed so the history written in the nicks and dings acquired over time remain.

Bob

Same with my 112. I admitted I was a dumbass and would pay for the repair and they still fixed it free.
While I kinda expected a free repair, I didn’t expect it fixed and back to me in less than two weeks.

I think Buck, as a knife-maker, is an American Institution.
Any blade collector and enthusiast should have at least one folder and one fixed-blade Buck in his or her collection...

Last edited:
I won a nice, American-Made G.O.A.L. Buck 840 Sprint Select folder this weekend at the GOAL Advocacy Training event.
It came in a "Swag Bag" that I won for the Door Raffle with all kinds of stuff. Mine came in grey.
Nice little knife. Has ball-bearings in the blade axle and opens fast and smooth...

Thanks G.O.A.L. !

8bc8691b-864d-43c4-b337-f3cb94f95d21.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
2019-buck-open-logo.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom