• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BUCK KNIVES THREAD!

Yes, more sentimental value. I remember my dad wearing it when I was around 10 or 11? I so much wanted one of my own, but my father said I wasn’t ready for it. He gave me a beautiful Swiss Army knife for my next birthday. I proceeded to cut the shit out of my thumb with it, while whittling a canoe out of a stick. I guess I wasn’t ready for that Buck! Lol. I still have the scar today. I will be giving the knife to my son.
My dad is still with us at 75, but he is fighting cancer, so......
F’kin Classic America! 🇺🇸. Best wishes for your old man bud

I have this on the way too...a nice 2 dot. I've bought way too many Bucks in the past month. I may have to pick a couple of my favorites and sell off the rest...

View attachment 417424

View attachment 417425
@timbo

Have you noticed more of these great knives coming on to the secondary market lately?
I'm wondering, if because of all the modern knives with new steels, handle materials, pocket clips and designs on the market
folks are offering up their old workhorses for sale?
~Enbloc

Bummer...I just noticed the snap on the sheath is sideways by 90°...
That's so you can see the BUCK brand when carrying it horizontally in scout carry... [rofl2]

Good for you!... I'm jelly.

@timbo

Have you noticed more of these great knives coming on to the secondary market lately?
I'm wondering, if because of all the modern knives with new steels, handle materials, pocket clips and designs on the market
folks are offering up their old workhorses for sale?
~Enbloc
Hard to tell...I've noticed quite a few coming from estates lately of which I've bought a few. Several things I've noticed about estate knives. Most are sold BIN and they are willing to take less for what they are asking. The other thing is they are also, as a rule, in very nice condition. I think many of the estate sales were part of a collection.

Some of the ones I've bought over the last couple of months have also been from pawn shops. Some I've seen are really beat up but a couple that I have purchased from pawn shops have been in almost pristine condition. The owner get hard up for cash and sells what he or she can live without...they get maybe $25 for the knife.

Personally and it's only what I prefer, I love the steels (and classic looks) of the Bucks. To the casual observer, not much has changed on say, a Buck 110 Hunter since they came out in 1964. That is until you start looking past the cosmetics. There have been changes in many of their knives over the years, almost annually, sometimes several times in a year. Some changes are very subtle.

All this to say, I think everyone has their particular taste in what they like in knives. I tend to be a basic/utility type of knife guy...no frills.

Last edited:
Not sure if I put this on here...I found a single dash 110 the other day and it arrived today...it's looks and feels brand new. Feels like a factory edge is still on it. After the 5 pin knife arrives, I am done buying knives for a while....lol

There's a few lines missing on this...they are at the bottom of the above link. For some reason they aren't part of the PDF attachment so they don't show up when the pdf is cut and pasted.
Also, sometimes you will see reference to an inverted stamp...they look like this:

1608334099620.png

They are earlier yet...from 64-73ish...depends on how many rivets are in the bolsters. I'm still learning this.

I own two folders and one fixed blade with inverted stamps...yeah, I guess I'm a Buck nerd.

Last edited:
If you happen to have a Buck Stockman with pins on the scales, well they are pretty collectible. I’m sure that 110 with the inverted stamp would fetch a premium price also.

If you happen to have a Buck Stockman with pins on the scales, well they are pretty collectible. I’m sure that 110 with the inverted stamp would fetch a premium price also.
I collect 110s and 112s and a few fixed blades...getting into their pocket knives is another rabbit hole I'm not prepared to go down right now...it would be yet another $$$ drain :eek:

I guess if you found an inverted 110 with original box and all, it would fetch a pretty penny (or five). The folders (110/112) with an inverted stamp do get about 30-50% more than one without but I guess the holy grail would be a 1964 with original sheath/box/papers. I have seen a couple but they fetch over a $1000. Too rich for my blood...

I collect 110s and 112s and a few fixed blades...getting into their pocket knives is another rabbit hole I'm not prepared to go down right now...it would be yet another $$$ drain :eek:

I guess if you found an inverted 110 with original box and all, it would fetch a pretty penny (or five). The folders (110/112) with an inverted stamp do get about 30-50% more than one without but I guess the holy grail would be a 1964 with original sheath/box/papers. I have seen a couple but they fetch over a $1000. Too rich for my blood...
How many do you have in your collection? I’ll bet they look cool all lined up.

How many do you have in your collection? I’ll bet they look cool all lined up.
I think I'm up to about 25 or so, most of them 110/112's but I have 1/2 dozen or so fixed blades...I try not to have too many at time...There are some guys with hundreds...not me.

I have to take a picture sometime but not really sure how to do it the best way. Maybe during Christmas I'll have some time...

I have a couple that I'm waiting for that are in the mail...with the mail the way it's been lately, it may be a while before I see them...one I hope doesn't get lost. It's a 110 with 5 pins, only made a for a few months in 1976. I've only seen three for sale. One of those is the one I bought.

Original box and all...

Here's a pic of the knife from the sale site:

1608338336797.png

Last edited:
if you ever get out to Springfield, Missouri, check out the Bass Pro there, that would be the place to check out or maybe the big one in Hamburg, PA. I went to the one in Springfield last year and over two days, I didn't see everything. It's huge. They do have an extensive knife inventory there.
I forgot to post that I was in Springfield, MO on Sunday and stopped into what can only be described as the Taj Mahal of Outdoorsmen...

Spent about 4 hours there and walked away with a Kershaw Airlock for $24 bucks. Nice little knife. It now rides in the top pocket of my barncoat...

And just a note: There was pretty much no ammo there either. Some #7 and #8 shotshells and some oddball rifle cartridges... No Pistol ammo...

Thanks for the advice @timbo
1608345989035.png

I think I'm up to about 25 or so, most of them 110/112's but I have 1/2 dozen or so fixed blades...I try not to have too many at time...There are some guys with hundreds...not me.

I have to take a picture sometime but not really sure how to do it the best way. Maybe during Christmas I'll have some time...

I have a couple that I'm waiting for that are in the mail...with the mail the way it's been lately, it may be a while before I see them...one I hope doesn't get lost. It's a 110 with 5 pins, only made a for a few months in 1976. I've only seen three for sale. One of those is the one I bought.

Original box and all...

Here's a pic of the knife from the sale site:

View attachment 424637
That’s great timbo. I need to get a 110 one of these days. I’ve owned them in the past. Nothing like pins in knife scales. They just add to the overall beauty.

Love those old saw-cut Delrin 301s...

Would love a 1966 with the fluted bolsters.

I keep scouring antique shops and if I can, pawn shops. Pawn shops are where you’ll find some good knives cheap. I’m not sure if I told this story on NES, so years ago I went to pick my wife up when she worked in Allston. I was early so I walked down the street to a couple of antique stores. One store had this old wooden bucket and I looked inside I saw an old pocket knife. It was a Barlow, so I bought it for three dollars. I’m sitting in the car looking at it and I literally wiped the surface rust off with my fingers. I looked at the stamp and it said Barlow. I couldn’t believe I actually bought a Samuel Barlow knife from the late 1700’s. The best find I think I’ve ever had. It looked a lot like this one. I was at a knife show in Marlboro and traded it for a really nice custom engraved folding skinner with sheep horn scales. Both knives were values around $250.00, maybe the skinner was valued a bit more. In hindsight I should have kept the Barlow. A knife that old, sitting in a wooden bucket, in Boston, who knows who could have owned it.
12758BDF-DA7E-4499-AEB1-6D9207214D84.jpeg

I keep scouring antique shops and if I can, pawn shops. Pawn shops are where you’ll find some good knives cheap. I’m not sure if I told this story on NES, so years ago I went to pick my wife up when she worked in Allston. I was early so I walked down the street to a couple of antique stores. One store had this old wooden bucket and I looked inside I saw an old pocket knife. It was a Barlow, so I bought it for three dollars. I’m sitting in the car looking at it and I literally wiped the surface rust off with my fingers. I looked at the stamp and it said Barlow. I couldn’t believe I actually bought a Samuel Barlow knife from the late 1700’s. The best find I think I’ve ever had. It looked a lot like this one. I was at a knife show in Marlboro and traded it for a really nice custom engraved folding skinner with sheep horn scales. Both knives were values around $250.00, maybe the skinner was valued a bit more. In hindsight I should have kept the Barlow. A knife that old, sitting in a wooden bucket, in Boston, who knows who could have owned it.
View attachment 424710
Very cool!!!

View attachment 424710
Hell that could have sharpened the quill on a Sam Adams, Paul Revere, or Dr. Joseph Warren pen...

1608396690717.png

Last edited:
I know huh? I Should have bought the wooden bucket also. I wonder how old that thing was.
You could have always turned it over and looked for any Maker's markings...

Huge market for Colonial-Era products. Anything really, but something like a bucket for domestic chores...? $$$ (they were just tossed out way back then and can be rare, worth more if handmade by the user and not commercial)

Makes a great conversation piece set on a stone hearth...

Yeah, tell me about it. I got up late and almost didn't check my eBay "watched" list that's emailed to me every morning around 6am. I seriously needed a cup of coffee though so decided, before I bolted out the door, to make one and sit for a couple of minutes at my computer and check NES and my emails (I always do it in that order...LOL). There it was...I almost choked on my coffee, especially when I saw it was a BIN and a fair price...with the damned original box no less! In less the 10 seconds after I saw it, it was sold. Only after I hit the BIN button did I remember to check the seller's credentials...it was all good. Whew!

Here's a picture of the box and sheath...it even comes with the original paperwork:

Bummer...I just noticed the snap on the sheath is sideways by 90°...fugetit...I'm returning it...LOL...I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :cool:

View attachment 421139
What vintage/year is that? Very nice!

You could have always turned it over and looked for any Maker's markings...

Huge market for Colonial-Era products. Anything really, but something like a bucket for domestic chores...? $$$ (they were just tossed out way back then and can be rare, worth more if handmade by the user and not commercial)

Makes a great conversation piece set on a stone hearth...
I kick myself for passing up stuff like that. I like anything old.

What vintage/year is that? Very nice!

It's not real old but it's real rare. It was made in 1976 for only about (from what I've read) 2 months or so. It was made during their transition from knives with three pins to four (110/112 knives). There's an accepted explanation in one of my previous posts in this thread. For a long time, I have only heard about them...then saw one at a /gun/knife show so I knew they were "real". One popped up on eBay and I snapped it up in a New York second. I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to show up in the mail...someday.

It's not real old but it's real rare. It was made in 1976 for only about (from what I've read) 2 months or so. It was made during their transition from knives with three pins to four (110/112 knives). There's an accepted explanation in one of my previous posts in this thread. For a long time, I have only heard about them...then saw one at a /gun/knife show so I knew they were "real". One popped up on eBay and I snapped it up in a New York second. I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to show up in the mail...someday.
I waited for seemed like forever for a vintage Victorinox coming from Zurich. The tracking stopped at customs in New York. Then one day it just showed up. It was like 2+ weeks.

The tracking stopped at customs in New York. Then one day it just showed up. It was like 2+ weeks.
Lol. This reminds me of the Victorinox Orchard ALOX 2016 Limited Edition that I recently received from a seller in the Russian Federation.

It took a month and a half to get here and was stuck in Moscow for almost all of that, then bam, its in my mailbox. Came in a manila mailer but was very well wrapped inside with paper towel
and a rough hewn cardboard sleeve. Very impressed over all. At the time it was the only one up for sale, so I took a chance. The color is exquisite and the original Victorinox Limited Edition Box
undamaged...

1608410920943.png
Not my photo, but an excellent representation of what I received...

I wonder if that scale set is bone, like whale bone or something else maritime... ?

1608418939397.png

Back
Top Bottom