• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brush stuck in barrel

I grabbed a bore brush at the gun store today. I came home, field stripped my Garand, and started cleaning. I made 2 passes with the brush, and on the 3rd pass coming from the chamber to the muzzle the brush pulled out of the threaded portion! So now I have a brass bore brush stuck halfway down my barrel!

What do I do now? It was on it's way to the muzzle when it pulled out, so the bristles are facing the chamber. I can't push it back. I can't get behind it to push it towards the muzzle because the reciever is in the way. I don't want to ruin my barrel!

I would guess your best bet would be to use a wooden dowel/ brass rod* to push the brush into the chamber and out...

* anything is softer than the bore so it won't scratch or gouge...

The only problem with using a dowel or brass rod from the muzzle is that it would be reversing the brush in the bore. It's very stiff in there, and I don't want to damage the rifling.

Could you cut up a length dowel rod and insert the pieces through the chamber end, eventually forcing the brush out?

push it out from the chamber end. i dont quite remembet, from tje week i owned a garand for, if you can get a straight shot in that direction. if not, use short pieces of dowel as previously suggested

The only problem with using a dowel or brass rod from the muzzle is that it would be reversing the brush in the bore. It's very stiff in there, and I don't want to damage the rifling.

Steel barrels are harder than brass brushes. I wouldn't worry about it.

Get some Sweet's 7.62 or some other potent copper remover and put a good amount down near the brush. It will eat it apart in short order. Use a dowel and hammer it out from the muzzle.

B

Get some Sweet's 7.62 or some other potent copper remover and put a good amount down near the brush. It will eat it apart in short order. Use a dowel and hammer it out from the muzzle.

B

Solvent is totally unnecessary.

Just push it out. I don't see the issue here. Though I do agree if you could try to rethread it first. Who cares which end you get it out of? Don't you clean from both ends?

Dude, the rifling is cut out of hardened steel and stands up to tens of thousands of copper-nickel bullets going by at 2700 fps.

Nothing you do with a brass rod is going to be worse. Pound that bitch out from the muzzle.

I once had this happen in my Walther P22 barrel. Bore brush AND rod got bound up. Had to put it in a vise, then use a very very large hammer and all my strength to hammer it out. Took 15 long hard minutes to get it out. Totally destroyed the rod and brush, and also pushed out a HUGE divot of lead that had accumulated from those damn Lightening .22 bullets which are utter crap. Looked in barrel after, mirror smooth not a single gouge. Trust me, the barrel can take it without a problem. You might even get out some good residue. P22 fired just fine after, and I stopped using that ammo and never had that problem again.

I once had this happen in my Walther P22 barrel. Bore brush AND rod got bound up. Had to put it in a vise, then use a very very large hammer and all my strength to hammer it out. Took 15 long hard minutes to get it out. Totally destroyed the rod and brush, and also pushed out a HUGE divot of lead that had accumulated from those damn Lightening .22 bullets which are utter crap. Looked in barrel after, mirror smooth not a single gouge. Trust me, the barrel can take it without a problem. You might even get out some good residue. P22 fired just fine after, and I stopped using that ammo and never had that problem again.

Rem Thunderbolt strikes again... [rofl] I feel for you.

-Mike

Try a blank? Compressed air behind a couple of oiled patches I like the hammer idea myself.

Back
Top Bottom