• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Browning Buckmark

hessy

NES Member
Are new Buckmarks going to become available in Mass? I sure hope so for 2008. My guess is, AG is the only stumbling block now, correct? Buckmark is on the List.

Are new Buckmarks going to become available in Mass? I sure hope so for 2008. My guess is, AG is the only stumbling block now, correct? Buckmark is on the List.

You can buy the Buckmark rifle Maybe you could remove the stock and cut the barrel down a little, and have a nice pistol. [grin]

You can buy the Buckmark rifle Maybe you could remove the stock and cut the barrel down a little, and have a nice pistol. [grin]

You can also have 10 years in the crowbar hotel for possesion of a sawn off rifle.

Browning is not interested in selling handguns in MA, and have said so.
There are a few Buckmark pistols out ther for sale.
I see one or two every year.

Jack

Can't do it without filing a form 1, as according to the ATF you'd
be making an SBR or AOW and turning the thing into an NFA
device. Stupid law but that's the law...

-Mike

I did not mean to saw off anything, just buy straight Buckmark pistol that is already on the approved list and can clear AG. Buckmark is one of the mass-produced pistols that is especially good for training youth and is on par with Ruger MKIII that you can find in any gun shop. It is actually more user-friendly than the Ruger, which is a major pain in the rear to assemble.

Last edited:
I am curious about this too. There are 2 buckmarks on the EOPS approved roster

Does the AG put out a separate list????

I don't recall seeing those on the earlier lists, but I didn't really look for it either. Buckmark is a nice pistol. Only problem with adding it to the list is it will deflate the overinflated price of my Buckmark!!

Regarding the "list", see here: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16357
It's better not to clutter this thread with that discussion, as it is often a long and cantankerous one! [wink]

I had one way back before 1998. They are all right pistols, lots of plastic parts, nothing to right home about.
It always seems because a gun is not available for sales it becomes wonderful and a must have.
If the Buckmark was available I think the general opinion of this gun would be different. This is not the same gun as the other Browning 22's.

... lots of plastic parts, nothing to right home about. ...

Plastic parts?????
Are we all talking about the same pistol? My Buckmark has NO plastic, except the grips which are neoprene.
Very well made pistol, in fact a near perfect copy of the old Colt Woodsman.

Jack

I have both the pistol and the rifle. I had an odd experience shooting this weekend, it seemed like the magazines all were sluggish in the cold. Something about the coefficient of thermal expansion between the metal and the plastic follower maybe. But the followers in the mags seemed to be experiencing a lot of friction, so much so that feeding was a little unreliable.

I am curious about this too. There are 2 buckmarks on the EOPS approved roster

Does the AG put out a separate list????

No, the AG does not put out a separate list. If you read the EOPS roster, you'll note that the third paragraphs is as follows:

Massachusetts licensed firearms dealers should note that the transfers of handguns are also subject to the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations, 940 CMR 16.00, et seq. Firearms on this Approved Firearms Roster do not necessarily comply with the requirements of the Attorney General’s Handgun Sales Regulations. Information about those regulations, as well as the Enforcement Notice may be obtained from the Office of the Attorney General and may be accessed on the website of the Attorney General (www.ago.state.ma.us)

Note the sentence that I have put in bold.

... it seemed like the magazines all were sluggish in the cold.....
Probably the only fault of the Buckmarks, like the Colt Woodsman, is a dislike for cold weather. A drop of tri-flow may or may not help the magazine. The more serious problem is the very steep feed ramp angle. The bullet lube seems to be more sticky when it gets cold and the guns just don't feed reliably, except with the hottest ammo. The bullet nose tends to hit the feed ramp and just stick to it. I have had a couple of Colts and this one Browning and they have all been this way. I imagine that you could polish the feed ramp like a mirror and it might help. I usually just put the gun away for the winter and shoot something else.

On a related matter, I am just about out of the good Remington ammo that I stocked up on in the '80s, so I bought a bunch of Federal bulk pack ammo. It shot as good as the old Remington stuff and was much more reliable than the current Remington junk, until the cold weather came. The gun, a Ruger Single-Six, was sighted in and working just fine a couple of weeks ago, when it was in the mid 40s. When the temperature is near or below freezing, the point of impact changed about four inches at twenty five yards and the groups open up from around an inch to more than three inches! Darndest thing I've ever seen. [shocked]

Jack

I love my old Buckmark. It was bought in '93, and Browning put a new barrel on it and tuned it in September. No PLASTIC, other than the mag follower. I see them listed for $250-$300 on line. I don't know what they are worth in Mass, but I wouldn't sell mine, or trade it, for anything less than an original Woodsman, model 1.

Probably the only fault of the Buckmarks, like the Colt Woodsman, is a dislike for cold weather. A drop of tri-flow may or may not help the magazine. The more serious problem is the very steep feed ramp angle. The bullet lube seems to be more sticky when it gets cold and the guns just don't feed reliably, except with the hottest ammo. The bullet nose tends to hit the feed ramp and just stick to it. I have had a couple of Colts and this one Browning and they have all been this way. I imagine that you could polish the feed ramp like a mirror and it might help. I usually just put the gun away for the winter and shoot something else.

On a related matter, I am just about out of the good Remington ammo that I stocked up on in the '80s, so I bought a bunch of Federal bulk pack ammo. It shot as good as the old Remington stuff and was much more reliable than the current Remington junk, until the cold weather came. The gun, a Ruger Single-Six, was sighted in and working just fine a couple of weeks ago, when it was in the mid 40s. When the temperature is near or below freezing, the point of impact changed about four inches at twenty five yards and the groups open up from around an inch to more than three inches! Darndest thing I've ever seen. [shocked]

Jack

Interesting, I saw something similar. I thought my Buckmark rifle was sighted in at 50 yards, but I couldn't seem to hit things. Cold weather can really play tricks.

On the other hand, my M1 Carbine was right on target at 100 yards!

The Buckmark I purchased new was when they first came out, and my gun had internal plastic parts. Maybe they have changed since, anyway the gun never impressed me and I sold it.

The Buckmark I purchased new was when they first came out, and my gun had internal plastic parts. Maybe they have changed since, anyway the gun never impressed me and I sold it.

They still have some plastic inside of them.
I like the pistol though. Not sure what would be better. The target shooters dislike them though because you need to remove the rear sight in order to take it down for cleaning, and there isn't anything that really locks the sight back into position exactly when you put it back on.

Back
Top Bottom