Browning 1919 Experience / Advice ?

glockstar

NES Member
So I have been very seriously pulling the trigger on a Browning 1919 in .308 . I have done some research and found a few fully assembled for sale. Obviously at that price point I'd like to hear from you guys as to your thoughts and opinions before I make the plunge. How is the reliability, is there alot of maintenance involved, are the links a pain in the butt to load... that typr of thing. Any advice or experience is very appreciaited. Thanks in advance!

There's a few people here on the site that have them. I've got one assembled - that I just haven't had the time to shoot over the last couple of years. To my knowledge - they're generally very reliable - the maintenance is ok - they're just going to be expensive to shoot because you're going to want to pull that trigger - a lot.

The links aren't too bad to load - get yourself a good loader.

For more detailed info check out Activity Stream - 1919a4.com Forums or Beltfedshooters.com - huge amounts of info on those sites.

At the very least it will be something that will hold it's value or appreciate. The parts kits are starting to dry up so the ones that are out there are slowly appreciating in value. You're going to find even the .308 stuff is expensive to shoot a lot of - you might want to look into a 7.62x54r conversion kit so it will shoot cheaper ammo.

The resident 1919a4 expert is probably member ' Finalygotabeltfed '. He was the guy who helped everybody at the parts kit group build last year. AcmeArmament is an active member of this site - he also knows quite a bit about them. I haven't seen Finalygotabeltfed posting in a while - I believe he's in Kentucky know, but a PM might get you a response. AcmeArmament is an active member and is on here quite a bit.

I've got one I built a few years ago. Back then kits were @$300, 80% RSPs were under $100 and the semi-auto trigger conversions were $140. So I'm into it for under $600. The prices I'm seeing today are around $1800, So I'd say it was a good investment. It does require some accessories ie tripod, belts or links, loader etc So plan accordingly.
If they are put together correctly and HS adjusted properly they run great, but may require a HS adjustment when changing brands of ammo. They are pretty easy to adjust if you modify the headspace retaining spring and get one of the aftermarket spanner wrenches. Without those two things, adjusting the HS requires at least 3 hands and is a PITA.

Here's a pic of mine. It is mounted on an adapted German MG42 AA tripod.

Attachments

• 1919_0048.jpg
    1919_0048.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 56
I have built a few, and worked on some previously built guns. The one thing I would recommend if buying a used assembled gun is find out who's design was used for the semi conversion. Some of the early Ohio Rapid Fire guns where machined for the less desirable semi trigger and sear. I think most would agree that the KMP triggers are much better. However KMP dose make a trigger and sear to fit the bolts machined for the early ORF guns.
Prices have gone way up since I did my builds and I am not sure anyone is offering 80% side plates anymore. Activity Stream - 1919a4.com Forums is the place to go for the latest info

KAR HOME

I've had a tnw 1919 in 3006 for years. Loved it. Sold it to pay for wedding. Scored a complete match original 1942 all Saginaw 1919 kit plus its cut receiver plate. Gun was a non nfa regd one thus its demilling. Had an exact replica right side plate made (semi auto of course) of all markings, inspector stamps, and serial number (added 1 digit more)and heat treated rear 2" just as original. Just had internals machined,and semi auto trigger and sear installed. Going to finally build it not this coming weekend, but the following.

Last edited:
I have one with a Crankfire adapter on it. Still haven't fired it, but the mere sight of it makes me giggle every single time I look at it.

I have one with a Crankfire adapter on it. Still haven't fired it, but the mere sight of it makes me giggle every single time I look at it.

that bad boy might end up having to go to to HSC. i can see myself getting in a big argument at the club when i say "well, technically it's not an automatic weapon, what's wrong with it?" [laugh]

****in' MA, dude. ****in' MA.

that bad boy might end up having to go to to HSC. i can see myself getting in a big argument at the club when i say "well, technically it's not an automatic weapon, what's wrong with it?" [laugh]

****in' MA, dude. ****in' MA.

Haha I wouldn't, but I want to sooooo badly hahahaha. I bet even setting it up to shoot just semi, all the wuss bags down there would piss themselves

Mine was fun but it took some tinkering to make it run right. I picked up an Israeli 1919A6 conversion with the buttstock and tripod, I liked it. Never got a tripod but I made a benchtop mount out of a Firebird brake rotor, spindle, and a 3/16 plate bracket. It worked great and actually looked pretty good. Rustoleum black grill paint matches parkerizing. It's still on display at Dave's Sporting Goods in Plaistow, NH if you're ever in the area.

Back
Top Bottom