Brownells AR180 upper question and comments please

I been a sleep, just notices these last week.
About 12 years ago I was dreaming of building a firearm from scratch base on ar180 because there is no buffer tube.
The main driver was I wanted to build a non AR lower less the areas with pistol grip attachment and buffer tube and relocate the external trigger somewhat.
The internals would stay the same including safety to make things easy and cost effective. I have an ar180B polymer.
I figured everything would be AR15.
I was even planning to use AR15 bolt and carrier, I would cut standard carrier add on weld on block with holes for the guide rails.
The upper became the problem, so i never did anything.

Then I see these AR180s style uppers for AR15 lowers from Brownells. Got Me Thinkin.

Questions.
What sticks out of the upper besides to two lugs that breaks the plane with contact edge with the lower.
ie does anything else protrude into the lower at the rear or buffer tube treaded area?

these things must work slick.

Maybe Ian's video will help:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUoQet67xDg

Or maybe @Boris's (SA80) thread:

Last edited:
I'll say this about the BRN-180. They were supposed to be great at first. Then I started seeing a few people with pretty bad failures in Brownell's social media groups. Rather than address the issues publicly, Brownell's silenced the groups.

All I'm saying is do plenty of research before buying one and identify all possible issues. Go in with both eyes open.

223 Wylde only
Non-user replaceable barrel (if you're going high volume)
Other issues, as discussed above.
I seem to be getting an email from them daily about it but I'll stick with the typical uppers.

My set of brn180s in 300blk and 223wylde 10.5" Their gen2 uppers, don't know if that matters.
They run flawlessly, and no there is nothing sticking out the back, they work just as well with the stocks folded. They've seen about 500 rounds each at this point. The wylde is a mix of 223 and 556, I seem to get more flash from the 556 but otherwise it's hard to tell the difference.
I had one issue with the 300blk. The bolt catch would bounce up and catch the bolt. Replaced the spring and that went away.

If it matters. The 300 run3 30 round Magpul p-mags and the 223 uses NHMTG 30 round aluminium mags.

Still waiting for my stamps. (ETA: for the suppressors, I got the SBR already)

And thinking about doing a third.

1641264096697.png

Last edited:
My set of brn180s in 300blk and 223wylde 10.5" Their gen2 uppers, don't know if that matters.
They run flawlessly, and no there is nothing sticking out the back, they work just as well with the stocks folded. They've seen about 500 rounds each at this point. The wylde is a mix of 223 and 556, I seem to get more flash from the 556 but otherwise it's hard to tell the difference.
I had one issue with the 300blk. The bolt catch would bounce up and catch the bolt. Replaced the spring and that went away.

If it matters. The 300 run3 30 round Magpul p-mags and the 223 uses NHMTG 30 round aluminium mags.

Still waiting for my stamps. (ETA: for the suppressors, I got the SBR already)

And thinking about doing a third.

View attachment 559992
Nice. What lowers and what folding stock?

Maybe Ian's video will help:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUoQet67xDg

Or maybe @Boris's (SA80) thread:

some good info there but they hold onto them and don't show the details with the camera.

you could probably run one of the brownells uppers on this flghtlite scr and get something that looks like this View attachment 559953
That is close to what i was thinking, that looks good to me.
i was thinking more like the browning a5 or remington model 11 shotgun in my "mind" build

Nice. What lowers and what folding stock?
Lowers are basic Aero Precision AR15 with the KNS picatinny stock adaptor, for the Sig "Kate Moss" stock (now discontinued). It's like the stock was made for this. There is a little rubber bumper on the left side of the upper and the top rail of the stock rests perfectly on it and the extra height helps when sighting. I tried a couple other Sig stocks and they didn't come close. It wasn't easy finding 2, but I got lucky and actually got a third a few months later, so I'll be building another.

Lowers are basic Aero Precision AR15 with the KNS picatinny stock adaptor, for the Sig "Kate Moss" stock (now discontinued). It's like the stock was made for this. There is a little rubber bumper on the left side of the upper and the top rail of the stock rests perfectly on it and the extra height helps when sighting. I tried a couple other Sig stocks and they didn't come close. It wasn't easy finding 2, but I got lucky and actually got a third a few months later, so I'll be building another.
Thanks. I might build one of these. Because I can.

And now I have to do another SBR (got to have them all 223, 300, and now 762)

I want to build a 300 BLK suppressed. Could start with a brace and then SBR it and swap to a folding stock.

Back
Top Bottom