• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brother wants to enlist Army after HS

DarthRevan

NES Member
Can't say I'm surprised since he's grown up always saying that's what he's wanted, wish I knew what I wanted as surely as he does lol.
He's currently in the JROTC program so he kinda knows how to behave (as well as any goofball kid can).
My question is, what should I tell him to keep his eyes open to, what books/movies should he watch to realize the seriousness of the path he plans to take. I've heard of the stories about how some recruiters can sell the services and I just want to make sure he gets the dirtier ugly parts too.
So folks, what advice should I give him?

Is this a stopping point to gain money for school or a career at this point. His opinion m.ay change, but what is his view now.

I went in for $ for college and ended up doing 28 years, with more than half in the Reserves. I had a blast, but never intended to stay that long. Other went in for the long haul and dumped out after the first enlistment.

Point is, have a plan...even if you change mid stream.

Last edited:
I told him that he should stay in the ROTC for college so he can come out with a degree and higher pay. But when you're 16-17, $800 a month sounds amazing, so some careful planning certainly needs to be done.

Um, what does he actually want to DO in the Army? Any advice anyone gives him is useless if it doesn't jive with what he wants to do.

Your advice about ROTC and college is cool and all, but if he already is in JROTC, he has more than a clue about what officers do vs what enlisted guys do. So if he doesn't want to be an officer, it's probably not useful to advise him to become one. Even if your heart's in the right place.

Plenty of us have plenty of advice, but knowing what he's thinking will help us give it.

My guess is your best bet would be to introduce him to some people. Maybe reach out here as you have done, but see if people will help go one step further. Maybe take him to a legion post to talk to some vets. Maybe volunteer to help out at a veteran's hospital or shelter. Like anything in life, there are upsides and downsides.

I was never in the military, and sometimes I regret that choice. It was a different time, then.

My guess is your best bet would be to introduce him to some people. Maybe reach out here as you have done, but see if people will help go one step further. Maybe take him to a legion post to talk to some vets. Maybe volunteer to help out at a veteran's hospital or shelter. Like anything in life, there are upsides and downsides.

I was never in the military, and sometimes I regret that choice. It was a different time, then.

When I was in JROTC (granted many, many years ago), the instructors set up many service trips to the VA, VFW, etc; we got lots of exposure to veterans. For that matter, the instructors are themselves veterans. So...

Plus, though I don't know Darth or his brother, my guess is that any young man considering a military career (like I was) has already seen all the relevant movies and read all the relevant books. On top of that, these being Modern Times, he's probably received a steady diet of YouTube and Call of Duty; obviously the Army is no game, but many of the visuals are relevant. Hell, one viewing of Saving Private Ryan is certainly better prep than I got.

And yet, by the time I joined up, I knew more or less precisely what to expect and I wasn't too surprised by anything about my service. Except how boring the Army can make jumping out of planes.

Last edited:
When I talked to the recruiters almost 30 years ago, the Army was the only one that could give me a written guarantee that I would go to training for the job that I wanted and that I would go to Germany for my first duty station. The others told me that after boot camp I would be selected and the I will probably be able to get the job I want. Get it in writing or it didn't happen.

Also, think about where boot camp is and when you want to be there. I didn't think about it and got to Alabama in August. The heat and humidity was a killer. I should have waited a couple more months when it started to be a bit more comfortable.

And yet, by the time I joined up, I knew more or less precisely what to expect and I wasn't too surprised by anything about my service. Except how boring the Army can make jumping out of planes.

NO SHIT![rofl][rofl][rofl]

Eight hour of bullshit in preparation for a 5 minute jump![angry]

Can't say I'm surprised since he's grown up always saying that's what he's wanted, wish I knew what I wanted as surely as he does lol.
He's currently in the JROTC program so he kinda knows how to behave (as well as any goofball kid can).
My question is, what should I tell him to keep his eyes open to, what books/movies should he watch to realize the seriousness of the path he plans to take. I've heard of the stories about how some recruiters can sell the services and I just want to make sure he gets the dirtier ugly parts too.
So folks, what advice should I give him?

Recruiters lie more than a used car salesman!.......get it in writing!

Just like anything else in life. You get out what you put in. Go in as a slacker, well? Go in and bust ass to get where you want and be Secretary of the Army some day.

Recruiters lie more than a used car salesman!.......get it in writing!

Some may disagree with this but I tend to agree. Either way just make sure to tell him that no matter what he's "told", unless it's in writing he's not going to get it in writing. If it's not on official paper he's not getting it. Also, he needs to think about this as the stepping point for his life. If he's going in he may as well try to get a skill that he can use after he gets out. And no matter what he thinks about college have him sign up for the GI Bill. Even if he doesn't use it, he still has the option later in life.

Going enlisted is fine, but being an officer is much better. If he can go college ROTC and then a commission into the military he'll be set for life. Not for everyone so it's up to how he wants to be in the military. The guy who gets to clean up the latrine or the guy telling someone to clean up the latrine. And no, I'm not joking...

Some military schools are better for learning trades than anywhere else.

I did a 24 week school at Fort Monmouth in the signal corps.......and the training I got was the stepping stone to where I am today! A Research Engineer
at the top of my field!

The crap I learned in college after I got out of the Army, was nowhere near as valuable as what the basics that the Military taught me.[smile]

I wouldn't recommend any kid joining the Military unless they were going to learn the basics of a career.,

be it Electronics, or Truck Mechanics, or Nursing/Medical Corps........they have a ton of good schools.

My son enlisted after college. His experience was solid. His Army recruiter a straight up dude. Yes, I know there are other types of recruiting methods...

If you're interested I'll ask my son for his info. FYI he is in the MA Army National Guard.

Going enlisted is fine, but being an officer is much better. If he can go college ROTC and then a commission into the military he'll be set for life. Not for everyone so it's up to how he wants to be in the military. The guy who gets to clean up the latrine or the guy telling someone to clean up the latrine. And no, I'm not joking...
And that's what I'm trying to get across to him now as well.
As for what he wants to be I think he's leaning cop after service. Need to talk about it with him more.

- - - Updated - - -

My son enlisted after college. His experience was solid. His Army recruiter a straight up dude. Yes, I know there are other types of recruiting methods...

If you're interested I'll ask my son for his info.
Sure I'll gladly take any input to pass along.

I cleaned more latrines as a cadet at ROTC training than I ever did during three years enlisted.

His experience will vary wildly by his MOS (read, job). If he goes infantry or another combat arms related MOS he'll come out of his contract with the body of a 55 year old and the life experience of a 65 year old. It was something I would not trade for any amount of money; but, I sure wish I learned a trade or skill that is actually in demand.

Make sure he is aware that about 90% of being in the military is standing around waiting while bored out of your mind. If you sign up for 6 years you spend about 5 of them waiting in various lines, formations or if you're lucky, a chair.

"Expert Marksman with rifle and machine gun" doesn't really help a resume and "Have gun, will travel" only gets you so far with the turnover we've had from the Global War on Terror.

If he can go college ROTC and then a commission into the military he'll be set for life
Only sort of. Yes, there are good pensions after 20 years and VA benefits, but it's an up-or-out system. At each officer level rank, it becomes harder to move to the next rank, and if you are promotion eligible but passed over two promotion cycles in a row the expectation is you will resign before the next cycle. There are limits on the number of officers at each rank, so it is not simply a matter of being "good enough" - you have to be the best out of a competitive pool - and it's not union so you don't get play a seniority card.

This is why you see many retired Army Captains and the like in civilian jobs (one of the really great teachers my kid had in high school was a retired Army Captain).

So, in short, if you graduate ROTC at t 22 or 23, you cannot be assured you will be allowed to remain a military officer for a full career.

These are the details I've learned from reading as a civilian with no military experience. Those who have served as officers and are more qualified to comment are welcome to correct any misconceptions I may have.

Last edited:
FYI the military retirement program is changing for anyone joining after 31 Dec 2017. The new system will have less guaranteed money but will have a 401k portion, with some matching.

Look up "military blended retirement" for more information.

If he is only looking to do 4 years and then become a cop I suggest joint the Air Force as security forces. In the air force you get treated much better than any other branch, easier boot camp, better bases, safer, and ALL of the same benefits. Security Forces in the air force is basically military police.

As others have said, get any promises in writing, especially what his job will be.

Seriously, Air Force...... And this is coming from a Marine... If his plan is to just do 4 for the benefits.... AIR FORCE. If he wants a full career, he should pick the branch he has the most desire to be in.

If he is only looking to do 4 years and then become a cop I suggest joint the Air Force as security forces. In the air force you get treated much better than any other branch, easier boot camp, better bases, safer, and ALL of the same benefits. Security Forces in the air force is basically military police.

As others have said, get any promises in writing, especially what his job will be.

Seriously, Air Force...... And this is coming from a Marine... If his plan is to just do 4 for the benefits.... AIR FORCE. If he wants a full career, he should pick the branch he has the most desire to be in.

Exactly, in AF they also hand you a pink teddy bear with your gear.

Joking obviously

If I had to do it again I would still go enlisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, in AF they also hand you a pink teddy bear with your gear.

Joking obviously

If I had to do it again I would still go enlisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be kidding but they do have a parade upon completion of boot complete with parental photos and all the hooplah you would expect from a College Graduation party.

Take him to a local VA hospital and/or have him read how the vets are getting screwed with poor health care. 22 Vets per day commit suicide because of what they have been through in the last dozen + years. Chances are pretty high that he will see combat with all the "actions" we have going on around the world and the state of things globally will likely lead to more "actions" in the next decade.

This is good advice. If he wants to see more of the world I'd recommend the Navy. As others have suggested I'd look for something that will give him a future when he gets out and also as others have said, get it in writing.

Make sure he talks to the National Guard recruiter. The benefits, especially the college benefits (in the Mass Guard) are worth it alone.

Ok here is my 2 cents. Don't go the national guard route. Go full time and do 4 years and the you will be a veteran. Guard time does not count as a veteran. The MA guard has some of the best benefits for guard members in the us. If you have questions let me know.

Now as folks have said-get a career in the service. I'm my opinion if you want to be a cop your wasting your time with the service. Get a skill. For instance you can get trained as a line electrician (stationed in Hawaii) and the have some awesome job options with the power company. Cyber command is expanding big time. It will be one of the biggest branches in the military. Imagine your career options if you did cyber security and were involved in cyber operations against ISIS.

Want to fly drones-you get a license to fly planes. And drones are growing in business applications.
So forget the trigger pulling snake eating special forces bs. Get a skill on the governments dime.

Take him to a local VA hospital and/or have him read how the vets are getting screwed with poor health care. 22 Vets per day commit suicide because of what they have been through in the last dozen + years. Chances are pretty high that he will see combat with all the "actions" we have going on around the world and the state of things globally will likely lead to more "actions" in the next decade.

Uh, no. Chances are pretty damn low he will see combat. Most of the military is something other than tip of the spear.

Ok here is my 2 cents. Don't go the national guard route. Go full time and do 4 years and the you will be a veteran. Guard time does not count as a veteran. The MA guard has some of the best benefits for guard members in the us. If you have questions let me know.

Now as folks have said-get a career in the service. I'm my opinion if you want to be a cop your wasting your time with the service. Get a skill. For instance you can get trained as a line electrician (stationed in Hawaii) and the have some awesome job options with the power company. Cyber command is expanding big time. It will be one of the biggest branches in the military. Imagine your career options if you did cyber security and were involved in cyber operations against ISIS.

Want to fly drones-you get a license to fly planes. And drones are growing in business applications.
So forget the trigger pulling snake eating special forces bs. Get a skill on the governments dime.

WTF are you talking about? Of course it does.

Back
Top Bottom