Brookies and some bows

peterk123

NES Member
They actually want you to keep the brookies, up to twenty a day. Well okay. Great morning. Started hitting at first light. Two of us got about forty fish. That was fun. Cold as heck though. Minus 2, but no wind. Ice was a foot thick already.

A bunch will get eaten tonight by the family and the rest is getting brined then smoked. These little guys are the best eating fish.

20211229_124949.jpg

Dude.........that's awesome. I'd pass on the ice fishing and -2 weather...but with that action.....Sweet.

Do you guys clean house like that in the streams and rivers too out there???

Dude.........that's awesome. I'd pass on the ice fishing and -2 weather...but with that action.....Sweet.

Do you guys clean house like that in the streams and rivers too out there???

I started hiking in and fishing the mountain creeks. Fish are in ever piece of pocket water; all cutthroats. And they eat everything because they see very little pressure. A 4wt with a foam hopper and small nymph dropper worked very well. We had some twenty fish days doing that. I have only fished the Yellowstone so far because it is minutes from the house. My largest to date is a rainbow just shy of twenty inches. But it has been a learning experience. Part of the problem was that it was so warm. The other part is that I need to still figure it out. I had a good fall though throwing wooly buggers and catching browns. I will try to catch some fish this winter when temps creep above freezing. I am looking forward to the June Salmon fly hatch. It is supposed to be nuts. That is when you can catch a lot of fish in one day.

We will also begin hitting the mountain lakes next summer. I just did not have the time this year. There are a few hundred lakes holding fish in the mountains. But it requires an overnight camp because of the distances. That will be lots of fun. You guys will be seeing plenty of pics when I get out there :)

I really want to chase Walleye through the ice but they are in big water and about three hours away. I will need a sled to be able to do it effectively. That might be a purchase for next year. Talk about some good eating fish!

We will also begin hitting the mountain lakes next summer. I just did not have the time this year. There are a few hundred lakes holding fish in the mountains. But it requires an overnight camp because of the distances. That will be lots of fun. You guys will be seeing plenty of pics when I get out there :)
Looking forward to living vicariously thru the above. That would be really fun. Camping on a mountain lake, and fishing pristine lakes for trout would really suck!! I would need a few sips of whiskey around a campfire at night just to get thru the whole experience. [smile]

I started hiking in and fishing the mountain creeks. Fish are in ever piece of pocket water; all cutthroats. And they eat everything because they see very little pressure. A 4wt with a foam hopper and small nymph dropper worked very well. We had some twenty fish days doing that. I have only fished the Yellowstone so far because it is minutes from the house. My largest to date is a rainbow just shy of twenty inches. But it has been a learning experience. Part of the problem was that it was so warm. The other part is that I need to still figure it out. I had a good fall though throwing wooly buggers and catching browns. I will try to catch some fish this winter when temps creep above freezing. I am looking forward to the June Salmon fly hatch. It is supposed to be nuts. That is when you can catch a lot of fish in one day.

I really want to chase Walleye through the ice but they are in big water and about three hours away. I will need a sled to be able to do it effectively. That might be a purchase for next year. Talk about some good eating fish!
Hey Peter I spoke with you on Rokslide a while back. Did you end up making it out there in time to elk/deer hunt?

Back
Top Bottom