• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bronze Wool and Raw Linseed Oil Turning Green?

My bronze wool and raw linseed oil is turning green, nice shade I would say.
This never happen before.
I bought the bronze wool figuring it would last longer than steel wool when stored. ( I don’t use much.)
I refinished an m1 carbine about a year ago with no problem using same materials.

Refinishing the Garand I used the bronze wool on the third coat of raw linseed oil yesterday (same materials use before). Today the oil turned bright green in the wool.

I’m thinking something in the stock. Even though I cleaned it good maybe something is in there.

When I sanded it lightly the sand paper was loading up so some type of finish is still in the stock

However, I used the same bronze wool (different piece of course) when stripping the stock and even left it in the stripper over night and presently that piece is sitting outside in the elements still in good shape.

Not sure if there is a problem. I hate to have anything hurt the metal in the gun when all back together.

I’m thinking something in the stock. Even though I cleaned it good maybe something is in there.

When I sanded it lightly the sand paper was loading up so some type of finish is still in the stock

Is it possible that the stock had been stripped at an earlier date, using lye to soften the previous finish? And that the earler refinisher then had used vinegar to neutralize the alkali? Lye'n'vinegar doesn't really sound like an arsenal technique, but in the past it had some vogue with cash-strapped woodworkers. Anyway, residual acetic acid in the pores of the stock, with linseed oil for a carrier, would be a surefire recipe for verdigris on the bronze.

the oil definely bleeds from the stock, i put it on, put the sun, and you get little beads at the pores so it can be something in the stock.
i don't the stock was refinished
you know what i just remember i used a wood brightener which may of had oxilaic (spelling?) acid
i may abandon the refinish, and strip again.
need to find a comercial striper that soaks the article for a while.
thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom