• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bron Classic Firearms - Sturbridge, MA

USMA-82

NES Member
This shop was advertised on the banner ad on the front page of a recent Shotgun News. Never heard of it before, so I had to check it out.

The owner, John Kozikowski just opened the shop a couple of months ago. It's located in Sturbridge on Main Street (Route 20), about a 1/2 mile west of the entrance to Old Sturbridge Village. The shop is in an old brick structure called the Blackington Building.

Most gun shops I've been to usually stock tons of new guns, and have a few milsurps on the back rack somewhere. Not here. John's niche in the business is CLASSIC FIREARMS - hence, the name. The shop is small, but the walls are lined with dozens of military surplus firearms, and the glass cases are filled with classic revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. There are a few modern guns here and there, but not many.

John's prices are reasonable, and he's more than willing to "negotiate." He also makes it a point to have ammo for every caliber firearm in the shop. He is still organizing and building the business (he's not a computer guy, so I wouldn't count on a website anytime soon), but he is anxious to serve an important role in Central Mass - pusher for the hopeless milsurp addicts - like me.

If you're ever in the Sturbridge area when he's open, plan on stopping by. If he doesn't have what you're looking for, leave him a list. Right now, his hours are limited, but after he retires from his full-time job, he'll probably expand the hours.

Bring your checkbook and/or credit card.....

Bron Classic Firearms, LLC
572 Main Street
Sturbridge, MA 01518
Ph: 508-347-5580

Hours: Wed - Fri: 4 PM - 7 PM, Sat: 10 AM - 4:30 PM

The shop is small, but the walls are lined with dozens of military surplus firearms, and the glass cases are filled with classic revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. There are a few modern guns here and there, but not many.

John's prices are reasonable, and he's more than willing to "negotiate." He also makes it a point to have ammo for every caliber firearm in the shop.

Sounds great but thankfully this one is a far drive for me. My credit card was starting to whimper as I was reading the post. [laugh]

I hear you. But on the other hand, he is doing consignments for folks. Maybe you could bring up some of the guns you've been trying to sell locally and see if they do better there.

No, never mind. You'll still come back with a new (old) gun....

I grew up about a 2 miles away from that building and am in Sturbridge visiting family and friends all the time. I will definitely stop by and check his shop out.

I'm surprised the town let him open up shop. There was a gun store in town serveral years ago across from Arnold Rd, which is less then a 1/2 mile from this place that was hounded bad by the town until it closed it's doors back in the 80s. I guess there must be new blood or something in town hall to give him a permit to open up. Then again, it's next to the Millyard Marketplace, that has several empty stores. They probably figure any traffic down that end of town is a good thing.

On the occasional trip to NYC/LI every few months we stop in Sturbridge for food and fuel. maybe next time I'll try and time it so that I can stop in. Not into the older milsurp stuff but these smaller shops sometimes have an interesting item or two.

I'm heading to Sturbridge today to visit the folks. The wife, mom and mother in law are going to drink some wine and bake some stuff together. Me and Dad are heading to Bron's and then to the Hamilton Rod and Gun club. My Dad wants to shoot my CZ-52 and I have a Springfield Champion that needs many more rounds cycled through it. [wink]

Not to mention that when we get back to the house there's going to be all kinds of goodies to eat. [smile] This day may actually beat Thanksgiving hands down!!!

Thanks for the heads-up. My sister's in-laws live near there; it will be worth a stop on the way to the next family gathering they have.

CD

New to the forum - I found it by doing a search for this particular gun store.

I went there today to see if they had any GP11 in stock for my K-31 (picked up 90 rds). Neat place with lots of old surplus military rifles, pistols and other military items. Good prices from what I looked at, too. Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

Orangebug

Went over to check it out last Friday and came home with a FAL and a CETME after spending the better part of 2 hours BSing.It's a drive but I'll be back when the gun jar gets filled again-really should've got the MAS 36 as I've strangely wanted one for a while.If Mil Surp is your thing,it's a neat place to check out.

It was HARD to not snag a beautiful Colt SP1,I haven't seen one in that nice of shape in a long time.

Last edited:
He had several Mosins,some Hakims, a vz52,couple Carcanos,Mausers - it's a small shop but he's willing to track down whatever you'd like.

Visited this shop today. Nice selection of milsurps and ammo. The owner was very nice to deal with. Picked up an M44 and a K31. Excellent experience.

He didn't have any more spare CETME mags in the store but said he'd get a few and send them to me, got 7 in the mail today- that's enough to convince me to make the drive again.Now that I have a somewhat decent EBR collection,I think I'm going to flesh out my mil-surps and will absolutely give him more business.I love going to small shops that make me _want_ to spend $ there rather than some place with the attitude that they're doing me a favor by selling me a gun.

ETA side comment: the best thing I've seen in a while happened while I was in his shop- a kid had literally just turned 18 and was already picking up another case of 7.62X54 for his Mosin with his very supportive to guns mom.I hate to say it but I only know another couple guys around me under 30 that shoot.I take anyone that wants to go to the range as even if they never buy a gun themselves,it at least does something to change the perception of firearms that's all too common these days.

Last edited:
John is very pleasant to do business with. It is just as well it is long drive for me to get to his shop or I'd be broke. [wink]

My acquisitions have been a Colt Officers Model Match and a Savage 1907. Nice, very nice.

ETA side comment: the best thing I've seen in a while happened while I was in his shop- a kid had literally just turned 18 and was already picking up another case of 7.62X54 for his Mosin with his very supportive to guns mom.I hate to say it but I only know another couple guys around me under 30 that shoot.I take anyone that wants to go to the range as even if they never buy a gun themselves,it at least does something to change the perception of firearms that's all too common these days.
WTH!!!!!!!! Of all coincidences!!!!!!!!!! That was ME!!!!!!! [laugh2] It really is a small world!!!! I would have never guessed it.

A HUGE +1 for Bron's. I read about the shop today in the M44 prices thread and decided to spurn my planned range trip to check it out. After a painful drive (Live in Boston, so it's an hour on good traffic, worse when it's backed up) I finally found this store that looked like it was a bit ramshackle. Walking inside doesn't disavow you of that notion.

However, nothing could be further from the truth. John, the owner, who runs the store as a part time sideline from what I gather, is a very knowledgeable and personable owner. He stocks just about every common milsurp out there. Had a bunch of M44s on the shelves, M95s, 91/30s, M38s, Enfields, Garands, and many others I didn't even recognize. Basically had a ton of milsurp rifles plus some shotguns. Although there were only two K31s on the shelves, he said he had 12 more available, so I'm guessing he doesn't show his entire inventory.

He also had a Mosin Nagant 91 that had been cut down and converted to 8mm by the Polish after world war I with other modifications, and a couple of other oddballs. Couple of Makarovs, a Radom, at least one Luger, and lots of antique revolvers. He also had a limited selection of modern guns, including S&Ws including M&Ps and compacts and S&W revolvers. Prices on the newer guns were a little higher than you'll find elsewhere (550 for the M&Ps) but all in all his prices were very competitive. You can get the guns a bit cheaper with your C&R but having the ability to look at the rifles before buying is great.

He had little in the way of accessories, so don't go here for holsters or reloading equipment or cleaning supplies, but there's one other thing he has that most others don't. Ammo. And more specifically, Milsurp-specific ammo. He had a wide selection of Prvi including 7.5 Swiss, .303, 6.5 Swede, plus 440 round cans of Russian light and heavy ball 7.62x54, Greek .30-06 etc. Also had the milsurp pistol calibers including 9 Mak and 7.62 Tok. Prices on the ammo were very fair. $80 for the 440 round cans which is higher than it was a few months ago, but the supply has dried up so not much anyone can do there. $8 for a box of Wolf or Brown Bear 9mm Mak. 14 for a box of Prvi (reloadable) 7.62 Tok. 15 for a box of Aguila 30 carbine. 13.50 for a box of Prvi 7.5 Swiss.

I stayed there and talked guns with him and another customer for probably close to an hour.

Highly recommended!

+1 vellnueve, I was there for about a 1/2 hour on friday learning from John (nice Polish guy I believe[smile]). I will probably pick up an M44 from him very soon.

Back
Top Bottom