• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

broke my RCBS decapping pin - where to find locally?

jpm

The pin in my 30-06 RCBS die broke yesterday, any local stores that you guys know of that carry these? its the 09609 Large Decapping pin. I found them online but want one quicker of course.

oh should have specified where I am lol, Reading MA area. I figured Rileys probably would have them but I'm not going all the way up there for them when they really don't have anything else I need there. Probably gonna be a zoo tomorrow as well.

If you can wait a week, shoot RCBS an email and they will send you a little bag of several each large and small pins under their warranty no charge.

Outback arms in Plympton has a lot of RCBS stuff they may have them

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Since Reading is on the north shore...
I'm certain Shooters Outpost has them (they had bags of pins when I was there a few weeks ago) and you can hit Rileys on the same trip.

I only use Lee dies for decapping now. Their pin slides harmlessly up out of the way if there is an obstruction in the shell or you end up with one of those shells that have no through hole (forgot the name of those).

You simply loosen the nut, push the pin back down, re-tighten the nut and off you go again. Now I am not saying you can't break them, you can (That is why they sell replacments too) but the chances are greatly reduced.

mg000311.jpg

I only use Lee dies for decapping now. Their pin slides harmlessly up out of the way if there is an obstruction in the shell or you end up with one of those shells that have no through hole (forgot the name of those).

You simply loosen the nut, push the pin back down, re-tighten the nut and off you go again. Now I am not saying you can't break them, you can (That is why they sell replacments too) but the chances are greatly reduced.

Lee is what I usually use but I got this set of RCBS dies for cheap money. They work fine but the decapping design really blows on the RCBS! Why on earth you would make the decapping rod a floating design really baffles me. When would you EVER need to deprime something that's anything other than centered?? I love the Lee design since I've accidentally gotten a Berdan primer in my pistol brass before and had the pin pop up to alert me.

What happened was the nut up top that holds the decap assembly loosened up enough to let it drift to the side a bit when I was decapping a shell and it bent the pin. I was able to straighten it and continue using it just fine till it happened again. This time after I straightened it out again I only got about 2 shells done before the pin snapped off from metal fatigue :-(

Calling RCBS this afternoon, hopefully they're open.

Well I was able to complete my decapping project after finding a finish nail that was the same diameter as the broken pin and cutting off the head & point and fitting it in place of the pin. Worked just fine but probably won't last so I called RCBS today. They offered to send me the whole decapping rod or just the pins without even being prompted! Very happy with that experience and I should get my new pins in the mail this week. Thank you RCBS and those who told me to call them!

mg000311.jpg

This. I've decapped thousands of cases with my Lee Universal Die.

Back
Top Bottom