Broke my CCW cherry the other day!

If I could find something that was a solid blend of power and conceal-ability, I might consider .380. G42? Don't like the S&W BG. I also think trying to pick one during the summer is distracting me from the reality that I'll have some form of concealment garment on for at least 7 months of the year. In October this probably would be an easier decision.

Unless you regularly wear no shirt at all, the small single stack 9mm's are totally and easily concealable. In fact going smaller isn't likely to be any more concealable either unless you are pocket carrying.

I wasn't sold on the .380 at first either. But I picked up a g42 and I have to say I feelconfident when carrying it. It is very light compared to other glocks, and is easy to shoot. Yeah 7 rounds of .380 is not the best option, but it is a very comfortable carry piece.

Yeah, I'm thinking of a G42 for the same reason - bit smaller and easier to shoot makes up for being .380. I think they have +1 magazines now too.

I was a skeptic about the 42 .. and always went with my glock 26 for summer... i got a good deal on a used 42... and after carrying it.. i sold off my extra 26, and the other now is relegated to the safe never to be used again. That thing is so light. I can carry it even in running tights. And have hiked blue hills like that.

I wasnt a fan of 380, but after shooting the 42 and 43 side by side i am faster and have more control with the 42 vs the 43.

If I could find something that was a solid blend of power and conceal-ability, I might consider .380. G42? Don't like the S&W BG. I also think trying to pick one during the summer is distracting me from the reality that I'll have some form of concealment garment on for at least 7 months of the year. In October this probably would be an easier decision.

I've never felt comfortable carry anything less than 9mm. I've had a .380, and a .32 Seecamp, and I never felt well protected when carry them. While certainly better than nothing, they probably wouldn't have helped much if I was in the Aurora theater. IMO its best to have a gun with decent power and good sights (preferable night sights), and one that you can shoot well at a distance.

A lot of people complain about the pm9 w/ safety, but I have one and love it - I just don't use the safety. From what I've read the version with the safety has a better trigger (mine is excellent), but I've never shot the non-safety version so I can't say for sure.

But keep in mind, whatever gun you decide on most likely won't be your last purchase. You may go through several guns before you find the one that works best for you. The same is true for holsters.

So this morning I drove down to an LGS, cash in hand, intent on purchasing the PM9 (no safety) that was in the case. Unfortunately, he had taken a deposit by phone the previous day. He offered to get me one, but the external safety version was the only one available. I decided to continue looking (didn't love his price anyway), when another customer came in and basically compared the PM9 to a wad of used toilet paper - mags suck, takedown is a PITA, shoots like crap, etc. He had several that went back to Kahr multiple times and finally gave up. Told me the Shield was the way to go. I think it's too big for pocket carry. A few days prior, the owner espoused the virtues of the PM9 as probably the best pocket carry 9mm. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Both of them dumped on the G43.

I'm confused.

I have a PM9 and assorted holsters that you are welcome to try any time we can get together at the range. PM me some time,

I've never felt comfortable carry anything less than 9mm. I've had a .380, and a .32 Seecamp, and I never felt well protected when carry them. While certainly better than nothing, they probably wouldn't have helped much if I was in the Aurora theater.

Why do you say that? The guy wasn't wearing body armor on his chest, right, so one round to the chest and he'd have been hurting.

Some of these shooters will off themselves as soon as someone shoots back too, though probably not that Aurora guy.

So this morning I drove down to an LGS, cash in hand, intent on purchasing the PM9 (no safety) that was in the case. Unfortunately, he had taken a deposit by phone the previous day. He offered to get me one, but the external safety version was the only one available. I decided to continue looking (didn't love his price anyway), when another customer came in and basically compared the PM9 to a wad of used toilet paper - mags suck, takedown is a PITA, shoots like crap, etc. He had several that went back to Kahr multiple times and finally gave up. Told me the Shield was the way to go. I think it's too big for pocket carry. A few days prior, the owner espoused the virtues of the PM9 as probably the best pocket carry 9mm. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Both of them dumped on the G43.

I'm confused.

Gonna hear stories like that about all guns. Theres guys out there that compare glocks to hand grenades. Some people just think what they have is the only option. I have carried my pm9 daily since they became MA ok. I shoot it pretty regularly and have never had a problem. Some people say they need a couple hundred rounds to break in but ive got friends who have them and havent seen that to be the case for them either. As for takedown being difficult, it takes about 20 seconds max & no tools are required. If you wanted to pull the entire slide apart, even thats easy enough for someone who is comfortable taking a gun down that far. Ive done it multiple times just because i have ocd with that stuff.
b682045051j

Last edited:
Why do you say that? The guy wasn't wearing body armor on his chest, right, so one round to the chest and he'd have been hurting.

Some of these shooters will off themselves as soon as someone shoots back too, though probably not that Aurora guy.

I usually sit in the back row and neither gun had decent sights. The Seecamp actually has no sights, just a channel down the middle. I've got night sights on the pm9 and can shoot it pretty well out to 25 yards.

I usually sit in the back row and neither gun had decent sights. The Seecamp actually has no sights, just a channel down the middle. I've got night sights on the pm9 and can shoot it pretty well out to 25 yards.

THIS. The PM9 is a decent 25 yard gun. If I can shoot a steel target at 25 yards with a bone stock PM9, anyone can. If you can't, get in touch with Stu at Cloverleaf, and you WILL be able to after a couple of hours' training.

Thanks for all the feedback. Ended up going with a Kahr CM9. Currently sitting front right in a DeSantis Nemesis holster, but printing like crazy. May have to look at a Superfly instead.

Also took it to the range last night. Boy have I been spoiled by the VP9....

Thanks for all the feedback. Ended up going with a Kahr CM9. Currently sitting front right in a DeSantis Nemesis holster, but printing like crazy. May have to look at a Superfly instead.

Also took it to the range last night. Boy have I been spoiled by the VP9....

When you get old and fat you won't be wearing those skinny jeans and it will not print as bad. [grin]

I look forward to cool weather after a long summer when I can carry a full size 1911 or a 226 in a shoulder holster.

HK p30sk is a fantastic gun. I picked one up in August. Very happy with its size and ability to disappear. Now I need to find a real holster.

Back
Top Bottom