• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Broke my CCW cherry the other day!

You don't really pop the cherry till you go to a Wal art and buy ammo. If you make it out of walmart without having to shoot someone, you win.

-Mike

Very uncomfortable...VP9 in a DeSantis Scabbard OWB holster at 4 o'clock.

What kind of belt do you have? The quality, fit, and stiffness of the belt is like 50% of the deal, easy. Maybe more. A crappy belt will allow things like the muzzle digging into your thigh or be too tight pulling the gun in too far, etc.

-Mike

Extra points for getting out without wanting to shoot somebody?

Belt is stiff leather....1.5 inch wide. I thought it held vertical, but realistically I have no idea. Do they make gun belts that resemble dress belts? That's the style I would be looking at for everyday carrying.

What kind of belt do you have? The quality, fit, and stiffness of the belt is like 50% of the deal, easy. Maybe more. A crappy belt will allow things like the muzzle digging into your thigh or be too tight pulling the gun in too far, etc.

-Mike

This!
A quality belt is often overlooked

Extra points for getting out without wanting to shoot somebody?

Belt is stiff leather....1.5 inch wide. I thought it held vertical, but realistically I have no idea. Do they make gun belts that resemble dress belts? That's the style I would be looking at for everyday carrying.

This is what I use on a daily basis. I'm not sure if they offer anything super dressy, but it's business casual. There are definitely companies out there who offer a more business professional looking belt.

-Mike

This is one of the biggest factors for comfort when CC'ing. I used to wear crap belts I bought at the mall. Now I only wear thick leather belts with a built in stiffiner. It felt like wearing a hoola hoop at first but now I'm able to hang things off my belt. I got my belt from http://www.thebeltman.net/. There was a one month lead time but well worth the wait.

What about one of the underarm holstered shirts 511 makes might not be bad if you wear an undershirt anyways

Granted, it was only on the 12 minute drive from the range back to my house...but still!

Very uncomfortable...VP9 in a DeSantis Scabbard OWB holster at 4 o'clock. Just got a YetiTac minimalist IWB holster in the mail yesterday. Will have to try that out.

In the end, though, I think I'm going to need something I can pocket carry, or that at least has a smaller profile. Kahr PM9 is at the top of my list. Thoughts?

Try moving it around. I found closer to 3:30 3:00 worked better for me, or closer to 5. Right on the curve of my hip it digs in. Find a somewhat flatter area and see how that works for you.

I only carry a ppk/s when I go out. so considerably smaller than what you carry. But I practice carrying in my living room. So I carry Milt Sparks summer special 2 IWB and I just use a comfy chair to sit and see where the gun is going to push on me. So I sit and move it around until I am comfortable sitting there and it is usually good in that spot when I am in the car...

I was carrying a PM9 IWB when you stopped by. Even with shorts and a T shirt it is pretty easy to conceal. I have pocket carried one for a while, but really like this little IWB rig. You really do forget it is there, even when driving.

There is really not much that compares in terms of size. But, on top of that, it is surprisingly accurate.

Eh, I carry my Glock 20 sometimes, people don't notice it unless I'm open carrying. I do want a pocket gun for certain situations. Lc9s comes to mind.

Granted, it was only on the 12 minute drive from the range back to my house...but still!

Very uncomfortable...VP9 in a DeSantis Scabbard OWB holster at 4 o'clock. Just got a YetiTac minimalist IWB holster in the mail yesterday. Will have to try that out.

In the end, though, I think I'm going to need something I can pocket carry, or that at least has a smaller profile. Kahr PM9 is at the top of my list. Thoughts?

I'd say the PM9/CM9 is an excellent choice for a smaller CCW in 9mm. Probably the best choice, IMO.

I've got a PM9 and in my opinion it is a perfect carry gun, but unless you're a huge guy it is no pocket gun. Some may disagree.

I carried at 4pm for about 15 years, but never found it to be comfortable. I bought all the expensive gear (Mitch Rosen, etc.) thinking it would help, but it didn't. So I switched to appendix carry, using a relatively cheap but well built kydex holster (PJholster) and now I can carry all day long without a problem.

Everyone's body is different, so you need to experiment to find what works best for you. But a good quality, light gun, than is easy to shoot well is key. And the thinner the holster the better IMO, for what it is worth.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. After a few months carrying a fire arm will be just what you do. Heading out the door is wallet...check...cell.....check......keys.....check.......trip to the safe to get the smith j frame......ready for the day.

Yes i said j frame.....cuz everyone owns one eventuallly.....right?��

So this morning I drove down to an LGS, cash in hand, intent on purchasing the PM9 (no safety) that was in the case. Unfortunately, he had taken a deposit by phone the previous day. He offered to get me one, but the external safety version was the only one available. I decided to continue looking (didn't love his price anyway), when another customer came in and basically compared the PM9 to a wad of used toilet paper - mags suck, takedown is a PITA, shoots like crap, etc. He had several that went back to Kahr multiple times and finally gave up. Told me the Shield was the way to go. I think it's too big for pocket carry. A few days prior, the owner espoused the virtues of the PM9 as probably the best pocket carry 9mm. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Both of them dumped on the G43.

I'm confused.

So this morning I drove down to an LGS, cash in hand, intent on purchasing the PM9 (no safety) that was in the case. Unfortunately, he had taken a deposit by phone the previous day. He offered to get me one, but the external safety version was the only one available. I decided to continue looking (didn't love his price anyway), when another customer came in and basically compared the PM9 to a wad of used toilet paper - mags suck, takedown is a PITA, shoots like crap, etc. He had several that went back to Kahr multiple times and finally gave up. Told me the Shield was the way to go. I think it's too big for pocket carry. A few days prior, the owner espoused the virtues of the PM9 as probably the best pocket carry 9mm. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Both of them dumped on the G43.

I'm confused.

I'll clear things up.

Opinions are like bumholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Best you form you own opinion, not off of someone else's opinion, but on your own actual experience.

If you are set on 9mm, your options are fairly limited for ones that are small. Personally I'm not so sure any of them are great for pocket carry. At least not for me, and not pants pockets. However they do work fantastic for ultra concealable IWB carry.

I'll clear things up.

Opinions are like bumholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Best you form you own opinion, not off of someone else's opinion, but on your own actual experience.

If you are set on 9mm, your options are fairly limited for ones that are small. Personally I'm not so sure any of them are great for pocket carry. At least not for me, and not pants pockets. However they do work fantastic for ultra concealable IWB carry.

If I could find something that was a solid blend of power and conceal-ability, I might consider .380. G42? Don't like the S&W BG. I also think trying to pick one during the summer is distracting me from the reality that I'll have some form of concealment garment on for at least 7 months of the year. In October this probably would be an easier decision.

Back
Top Bottom