• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Broke my CCW cherry the other day!

Salyeica

NES Member
Granted, it was only on the 12 minute drive from the range back to my house...but still!

Very uncomfortable...VP9 in a DeSantis Scabbard OWB holster at 4 o'clock. Just got a YetiTac minimalist IWB holster in the mail yesterday. Will have to try that out.

In the end, though, I think I'm going to need something I can pocket carry, or that at least has a smaller profile. Kahr PM9 is at the top of my list. Thoughts?

You can carry anything but you have to find the right belt/holster/shirt combo. Pocket carry is easy, yes, but sometimes it's nice having a bigger firearm with you. I wouldn't give up on it yet. Eventually you will end up with the perfect combo and a bin full of not quite perfect holsters like the rest of us.

Granted, it was only on the 12 minute drive from the range back to my house...but still!

Very uncomfortable...VP9 in a DeSantis Scabbard OWB holster at 4 o'clock. Just got a YetiTac minimalist IWB holster in the mail yesterday. Will have to try that out.

In the end, though, I think I'm going to need something I can pocket carry, or that at least has a smaller profile. Kahr PM9 is at the top of my list. Thoughts?

It doesn't count until you do the obligatory Walmart carry [smile].

The PM9 is a fine gun. Take a look at the P9; it's marginally larger and allegedly easier to handle/shoot. Either way you go, get one without the friggen safety. It's impossible to use in a hurry, is backwards, and cuts your thumb. Toss a set of the rubber Talon Grips on there and you're good to go. I carry mine in a Crossbreed holster and it's great.

My options are further limited because I have business casual requirement for work, so full frame firearms present concealment issues. IWB tuckable and pocket se to be my best bets, particularly in warm weather.

My options are further limited because I have business casual requirement for work, so full frame firearms present concealment issues. IWB tuckable and pocket se to be my best bets, particularly in warm weather.

Same here, although I've been carrying my PM9 in a desantis pocket holster that I think prints horribly. The general population is so clueless.

As for the safety on the massified PM9, leave it off, and the issue is resolved. [hmmm] At least it has been for me.

For tighter quarters clothes wise a S&W BG380 fits in an uncle mike pocket holster and really doesn't show much at all. I'm not a fan of the BG380, but it works and the spare mage takes up less space than my car keys

congrats! If you want to stick with HK, there is a new P30sk, or since you prefer striker fired HK is probably going to have a compact or SK version of the VP9 soon.

Why not a Glock 42 or 43 for IWB?

- - - Updated - - -

Does your work allow carrying?

My options are further limited because I have business casual requirement for work, so full frame firearms present concealment issues.

I have no experience with one, but look into a "sneaky pete" holster. It's an OWB square-shaped holster that completely disguises the gun. Looks like it's for a large I-phone or something. I'm fairly certain a Kahr PM9 would fit in one, but google 'sneaky pete' and check it out for yourself. I never have to dress up for anything but weddings and funerals, and when I do it's either a S&W 36 or Ruger LCP in an ankle holster, but ankle carry is slow-to-draw and can get uncomfortable during long events.

P938. It's 9mm and very comfy. Plus it's quite enjoyable to shoot on a regular basis as well.

I don't think he wants SA or SA/DA. To the OP, have you tried HK's LEM triggers? That's be an option if you want an HK but don't want a safety, decocker, SA/DA.

This is so strange, my brother in law just bought a vp9 and a pm9 lmao

20tfk7p.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
my personal CCW pics:
Sig P938, Kahr PM9 (or P9), Walther PPS, G43, Ruger LC9s pro, Ruger LCR

if you chose to go w PM9, i would stick w free-state model not the safety model. also don't completely rule out J-frame or LCR for CCW....both are worth considering too.

as always, YMMV greatly

Ive pocketed a PM9 daily for a few years now and really like it. I always make sure whatever jeans/pants I buy are a little loose in the thighs and have decent sized pockets. Ive tried the remora and the desantis pocket holsters and prefer the desantis because its thinner but am constantly looking for an even lower profile holster.
Good luck

I CCWed a full size USP 45 for a few years...that was fun lol. Don't think I could go back to doing that since moving on to CCWing a compact 9mm.

I used to carry 4-5 IWB with my Comptac Minotaur (USP 45, SW 40c, PPS 9mm) but I'm not the one to wear big ass baggy tshirts. I got sick of worrying about bending over and exposing and just in general printing with a non fat guy shirt. Moved over to 1-2 AIWB recently and I know it is not for most people, but I love it. I use a Keepers Concealment Errand holster with a PPS.

Last edited:
I love the HK products, but I think it's going to be another year or two before they make a subcompact VP9. And I don't want to wait that long. I looked at the G42, but am not sold on .380. As for the G43, I imagine the nonsense going on with that Westport dealer is going to scare off anyone willing to sell it once it hits the EOPS list.

A few guys I work with carry occasionally. Don't think there is a company policy wrt carrying.

I'm on the road all day, and in and out of the car 20-25 times. Add to that, I'm sometimes lifting heavy boxes, so the opportunity for me to blow concealment is ever present. Not sure how my customers would react if they witnessed an exposure.

Ive pocketed a PM9 daily for a few years now and really like it. I always make sure whatever jeans/pants I buy are a little loose in the thighs and have decent sized pockets. Ive tried the remora and the desantis pocket holsters and prefer the desantis because its thinner but am constantly looking for an even lower profile holster.
Good luck

This is another one of my challenges. I have fairly thick legs, so it's tough to find pants with enough room for my keys and phone, never mind anything else. I saw a guy walk into the clubhouse at my club, and it was clear he was ccw tucking. The overly baggy shirt and too big pants looked really disheveled and was a huge turnoff to that option...for me, anyway.

I love the HK products, but I think it's going to be another year or two before they make a subcompact VP9. And I don't want to wait that long. I looked at the G42, but am not sold on .380. As for the G43, I imagine the nonsense going on with that Westport dealer is going to scare off anyone willing to sell it once it hits the EOPS list.

A few guys I work with carry occasionally. Don't think there is a company policy wrt carrying.

I'm on the road all day, and in and out of the car 20-25 times. Add to that, I'm sometimes lifting heavy boxes, so the opportunity for me to blow concealment is ever present. Not sure how my customers would react if they witnessed an exposure.

Yeah, probably a year for a smaller VP9 I agree. The G43 will probably make the next list (August?), since the G42 made the first list.

Carry a VP9 during colder weather in a Comptac MTAC with either a Wilderness 5 stich or Ares Gear belt at 4:00 o'clock. Found set-up to be incredibly comfortable and found it conceals very well for a full-size. Hope this helps.

I wasn't sold on the .380 at first either. But I picked up a g42 and I have to say I feelconfident when carrying it. It is very light compared to other glocks, and is easy to shoot. Yeah 7 rounds of .380 is not the best option, but it is a very comfortable carry piece.

I wasn't sold on the .380 at first either. But I picked up a g42 and I have to say I feelconfident when carrying it. It is very light compared to other glocks, and is easy to shoot. Yeah 7 rounds of .380 is not the best option, but it is a very comfortable carry piece.

Yeah, I'm thinking of a G42 for the same reason - bit smaller and easier to shoot makes up for being .380. I think they have +1 magazines now too.

I have cyclists legs and I find pocket carry to be uncomfortable for long periods. The PM9 in the Crossbreed is very small on my waistline and is tuckable. I don't normally tuck, but the few times I have I was surprised how much easier it was to conceal.

I like the price of the G42 (or even G43) compared to the PM9, but I also believe price is a secondary or even tertiary consideration in the decision making process.

Back
Top Bottom