Brockton gun buyback on Saturday

A few thousand guys with $50 handguns lined up down the street...

Seems realistic to me. A few thousand seems too small though. I was thinking maybe eleventy-hundred-jillion guys with $3 guns lined up all the way to the moon. Plus a billboard.

Are you going to bring the magic news machine that's going to make everyone see your group photo instead of the image the press will show of all the guns?

Your post is what I meant by "delusional".

Eddie is right on this one. Never, ever support buy backs. I don't care what kind of convoluted s check scheme you come up with to turn the gift card into money, all you're doing is supporting people who hate guns and giving when publicity. Nobody is going to take a picture of you with your new S&W or whatever and put it on the evening news talking about what a brilliant guy you are. You can bet your ass that there will be a million pictures of the cops posing with the guns you turned in, though.

And even if you got the media buy, they'd write it off because you converted several guns that you traded in for one gun that you bought. They don't care about the relative values, or anything else really. They'll call it a win because "you'd have bought it anyways" and the net result is "fewer guns on the streets" and similar handwringing.

The only way to prove them wrong would be to go in reverse - turn in one $50 gun for a $200 gift card. Then go buy four guns with it and hand them out to school kids. That might make the news cycle.

Or - open a gun shop; call it Recovered Arms, and host your own ongoing "buyback." Buy ads in the paper, on TV and the radio. Have a receiving room that looks respectable, with the shop in back. Offer cash money for anything "turned in." Then check them into your bound book, and sell them to legal buyers. I'm sure you can find an accountant that will help you justify writing off all the $50 IJs that you'll never sell as a charitable contribution or other unrecoverable business expense.

I can only guess at how you would deal with actual "street guns" on the off chance someone brings one in, but I'm sure any of our friendly FFLs can tell you off the top of their head.

That said, even this fantasy will 1) never get media attention in the northeast without a LOT of political connection, and 2) only serve to help bolster the anti message. But I'd totally come check out what you had for sale, and laugh with you because it was worth a shot...

Seems realistic to me. A few thousand seems too small though. I was thinking maybe eleventy-hundred-jillion guys with $3 guns lined up all the way to the moon. Plus a billboard.

Are you going to bring the magic news machine that's going to make everyone see your group photo instead of the image the press will show of all the guns?

Your post is what I meant by "delusional".

Except that there are a lot of guys here turning in guns just in this thread simply because the numbers work for them.

I wouldn't care who knows it's a setup to buy more guns. 1,000 x $200 = $200,000 of anti money going to buy new guns. (Eleventy hundred x $200 is even more.) They can take pictures. Four pictures @ $40,000 each.

But it if I had the ability to get 1000 guys on the same page I'd be focusing our efforts on reducing tyranny in the fed .gov, not encouraging the destruction of 1,000 crappy guns. It's still a net loss if 1,000 crappy guns are turned into 600 good guns.

Last edited:
Except that there are a lot of guys here turning in guns just in this thread simply because the numbers work for them.

They are selling out themselves and other gun owners.

I wouldn't care who knows it's a setup to buy more guns. 1,000 x $200 = $200,000 of anti money going to buy new guns. (Eleventy hundred x $200 is even more.) They can take pictures. Four pictures @ $40,000 each.

They'd gladly pay it. The "anti money" isn't theirs, it means nothing to them, and they have more than you can waste.

I bet they'd pay 10 times that amount if they could get footage of your 1000 guys waiting in line to turn in guns. That'd be gold for them. It wouldn't matter why you were there, what signs you were carrying, or how loudly you sang Kumbaya. They'd replace the audio with voice over, and edit the video to make you look like a bunch of lunatics. A first year journalism student could spin that into looking like the "gun problem" is completely out of control, and you'd have people who normally wouldn't give a shit absolutely screaming for "something" to be done about it.

If some organization decides to hold a gun buyback, there is NO WAY we can make it work in our favor from a public opinion standpoint. The best thing that can happen for us is that nobody turns in anything, and the whole event gets ignored. Like almost every one of them.

They only win if they get guns.

Confession time: 20 years ago I turned in a busted frame piece of crap 25 cal semi for $100-$200 and thought I'd pulled one over on the city of Cambridge. I have since learned from the error of my ways and agree that these things are poison to gun owners. I have seen the light

Last edited by a moderator:
This^

2015-07-25-1437816206-9867806-150721portarthurguncontrol854a_c5ced8f7cd000ccee399b6684fbdf787_nbcnewsux28801000.jpg

Could make that a game "Can you find the Mini 14?" or "Count the Garands"

They are selling out themselves and other gun owners.

They'd gladly pay it. The "anti money" isn't theirs, it means nothing to them, and they have more than you can waste.

I bet they'd pay 10 times that amount if they could get footage of your 1000 guys waiting in line to turn in guns. That'd be gold for them. It wouldn't matter why you were there, what signs you were carrying, or how loudly you sang Kumbaya. They'd replace the audio with voice over, and edit the video to make you look like a bunch of lunatics. A first year journalism student could spin that into looking like the "gun problem" is completely out of control, and you'd have people who normally wouldn't give a shit absolutely screaming for "something" to be done about it.

If some organization decides to hold a gun buyback, there is NO WAY we can make it work in our favor from a public opinion standpoint. The best thing that can happen for us is that nobody turns in anything, and the whole event gets ignored. Like almost every one of them.

They only win if they get guns.

This. Major point. No matter what precedent is setup, it'll get spun by the MSM & the politicians.

This morning's snews, they showed what looked like a WWII vintage machine gun, claiming that it was a 50 cal machine gun. Anyone who saw this ID the gun? I wonder if it was a bring-back that some widow turned in . . . if so, probably not registered.

Looks like a MG34. Even as a parts kit it has some value. Sad part is even if it has paperwork from WW2 allowing it to brought back or a 50s mail order dewat its not going back on the "street". I doubt they would let it go if it was even registered.

This morning's snews, they showed what looked like a WWII vintage machine gun, claiming that it was a 50 cal machine gun. Anyone who saw this ID the gun? I wonder if it was a bring-back that some widow turned in . . . if so, probably not registered.

Looks like a MG34. Even as a parts kit it has some value. Sad part is even if it has paperwork from WW2 allowing it to brought back or a 50s mail order dewat its not going back on the "street". I doubt they would let it go if it was even registered.

No, once turned in there are only 2 scenarios that could take place:

- Turned over to MSP for destruction in accordance with regulations in place in MA . . . and actually destroyed.
- It mysteriously disappears from police custody.

Thanks for ID'g it.

Good for Brockton. All those bad guys turning in their grand daddy's revolvers.

Fox25News_20160521_01_zpsu0vliora.jpg

View attachment 167862

It's almost always widows turning in their late husband's guns.

Gang bangers in Brockton "work" too hard for their guns to give them up for a mere $250 food gift card. They get their food from EBT cards already and they can steal much more than $250 worth of goods/drugs with each of their guns.

How true those statements are. I have seen many very nice guns come out of Brockton that were purchased or brought home in the 40s to the 60s from residents.

It's almost always widows turning in their late husband's guns.

Gang bangers in Brockton "work" too hard for their guns to give them up for a mere $250 food gift card. They get their food from EBT cards already and they can steal much more than $250 worth of goods/drugs with each of their guns.

[rofl]Jed Clampett: Peetiful... just peetiful

xTRysqD.jpg

6F5EGTo.jpg

+1 on an MG-34, looks like it's missing the feeding block and top cover.[rofl]

6nZ4Oiv.jpg

Video here...

http://www.wcvb.com/news/brockton-police-elected-leaders-declare-gun-buyback-a-success/39664000

I had to play it twice just to make sure I was hearing the "50 caliber machine gun thing" correctly

[rofl]

Last edited:
How true those statements are. I have seen many very nice guns come out of Brockton that were purchased or brought home in the 40s to the 60s from residents.

wow do i have a GREAT brockton story--- but i can't tell it on a public forum---no i did not benefit from this "private sale" but i wish i did.

all legal guns, just think the buyer took advantage of a bad situation

Last edited:
You better be CC if you're shopping at either one of those places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom