• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Broad daylight break in attempt thwarted

What can I do? At least she doesn't give me grief about mine.

Educate her. Having a wife without an LTC is dangerous to her and you. First, if she's going to live in a house with firearms, she should be educated on their use. Period. The same is true for children. Without proper education, AND familiarity, accidents can happen. Second, what's the point of having one of the best home defense tools (short of a claymore) at her finger tips in this day and age if she can't use it? Doesn't she want the ability to protect herself and family? Just because she knows HOW to use it, doesn't mean she must. She can still choose any other method of protection she wants. Third, it protects YOU. Leave your safe key on the counter? You've given access to an unlicensed person. Plus, it protects you should something happen to your LTC until you can move to a free state.

Martlet, trust me, I've tried all those reasons and more. Her father is an avid hunter and she has shot before, just seems to be VERY anti-gun. For a year now I've tried to wear her down. This is what happens from the pussification of the Northeast. People are taught to fear guns, period. Now she is aware that educating our kids (when the time comes) is non-negotiable.

Martlet, trust me, I've tried all those reasons and more. Her father is an avid hunter and she has shot before, just seems to be VERY anti-gun. For a year now I've tried to wear her down. This is what happens from the pussification of the Northeast. People are taught to fear guns, period. Now she is aware that educating our kids (when the time comes) is non-negotiable.

You say she understands it's non-negotiable now. Wait until the time comes. Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you allow someone who's so irrational into your home?

[thinking]

My wife agreed after she heard about that poor woman from NH who was hacked to death in her own bed and her 11 year old daughter had her throat sliced and was left for dead. She was a 41 year old Nurse, a beautiful wife and mother and four scumbag little a$$holes killed her for nothing. My wife wasn't crazy about guns but she was even less crazy about the thought that she could not defend her children if I was not home. I got one of those small keypad safes and I have timed her. She can have her hands on my 686 and two speed loaders in 6 seconds. I still wonder if that is quick enough.[thinking]

I agree she needs more training. I'll talk to her today about it and look Lynne up. Any handgun recommendations for the Missus? She does really well with the 686 at the range with 38 special but it is a bit heavy for her. I also worry about her fumbling with speed loaders under stress.

*** Update *** Neighbor's First Range Trip

OK so as promised I took the neighbor to the range today. Lets just say that now I know how my son feels when he is trying to teach me how to play video games.

I have a headache and need to clear my head by huffing some Hoppes #9 and some CLP. I am very patient but he shot so poorly that it was painful. Phrase of the day... "Please keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction"

I will refer him to a professional.

OK so as promised I took the neighbor to the range today. Lets just say that now I know how my son feels when he is trying to teach me how to play video games.

I have a headache and need to clear my head by huffing some Hoppes #9 and some CLP. I am very patient but he shot so poorly that it was painful. Phrase of the day... "Please keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction"

Jon at GOAL is EXCELLENT! Very reasonable prices and he even supplies ammo at rock bottom rates.

Have him go down and get the spray FID card for starters.

[cheers]

you did a great service.

hopefully he (they) arent' discouraged. what did you have them shoot?

when i help new shooters, i give the a quick "brief" (if you may) of the gun and how it works.

[cheers]

you did a great service.

hopefully he (they) arent' discouraged. what did you have them shoot?

when i help new shooters, i give the a quick "brief" (if you may) of the gun and how it works.

Thank you for the positive feedback.Now I know why shepherds carry that big stick. To whack sheep when they need it.[grin]
I wasn't sure what he would be comfortable with so we started with a little .22 Ruger. We also brought my S&W 686 and shot about 100 rnds of 38 special and a couple dozen .357 just so he could get the experience. We shot about 150 rounds of FMJ .40 through my Sig P226 and will also brought my Mossberg pump action shot gun but I only had about 50 rounds handy for that.

My thought was to see what he did well with and then let him go to town with it. He did the best with the 686 revolver. Last night I emailed him the Ten Commandments of firearms safety as well as a couple of articles about shooting. Before I let him shoot I would go over the mechanics of each gun and shoot it first. Then I made him reload it while I watched/helped, helped him with his grip and stance and had him get started. He made all of the usual mistakes that I made when I was a new shooter but showed improvement.
I think the 686 with the magnum rounds scared him a little bit and might have been a mistake. Live and learn.
I've got lots of cleaning to do

Have him go down and get the spray FID card for starters.

Yup. He can apply for it now, and the restricted FID usually comes in in a week or two. Plus, you can hold an FID and LTC at the same time, so he'll at least have something until the LTC and training comes in.

Caught the SOB

I wanted to share the happy ending with the members here. It would appear that the BG that tried to break into my neighbors house was caught.

By Anonymous
The Enterprise
Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 02:28 AM
BROCKTON — MILTON — A Brockton man wanted for a string of house break-ins across the South Shore was arrested Friday in Milton.

Curtis Davis, 48, was arrested while driving through Milton with several items he had allegedly stolen earlier that day from homes in Canton and West Bridgewater, police said.

When Davis was pulled over Friday by Milton Detective William West, there was a loaded gun on the passenger seat that was found to have been stolen during a Canton break-in that day, police said.

A laptop computer and a Bridgewater State College football ring were also found in the car, police said.

Davis is a suspect in several recent Milton break-ins as well as incidents in Holbrook, Whitman, Canton and West Bridgewater.

He was pulled over on Blue Hills Parkway after West heard an alert from the Canton Police Department for a 1993 Plymouth Voyager that was involved in a break-in that day.

Davis was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a handgun, unlawful possession of ammunition and three counts of receiving stolen property.

He was arraigned Monday at Quincy District Court and held on $25,000 bail.

Milton police said Davis will also face charges from several other towns.

What the article does not say is that during his little crime spree he smashed an unsuspecting home owner over the head with a crowbar. The victim survived and was able to give a good description or the BG.

I have heard that he will be charged with armed home invasion...... BYE BYE

What the article does not say is that during his little crime spree he smashed an unsuspecting home owner over the head with a crowbar. The victim survived and was able to give a good description or the BG.

I have heard that he will be charged with armed home invasion...... BYE BYE

Not to be a wet blanket, but criminals routinely get charged with all kinds of big crimes, but then plea them down to little nothing charges. Check out the link below for an interesting example of that.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ther-Mass-Firearms-charge-Plea-Bargained-Down

Not to be a wet blanket, but criminals routinely get charged with all kinds of big crimes, but then plea them down to little nothing charges. Check out the link below for an interesting example of that.
Yeah, it all depends on how good the evidence and the ADA who gets the case is. They want to make sure they get "the bad guy" locked up and do a risk-reward which is often imperfect.

As a result, when arrested, they pile on any charge they can in hopes that when they are whittled down, they are still left with something that will stick.

Yeah but in that case they had zip for evidence. Even a decent public defender could have gotten that tossed. This time the have the guy, the gun and the goods. If this gets bargained down I'm getting a vest an a mastiff with a saddle for our toy dog.

That sucks.

Yup. To make it even worse, they basically got off with time served plus a couple of months...a total joke.

Yeah, it all depends on how good the evidence and the ADA who gets the case is. They want to make sure they get "the bad guy" locked up and do a risk-reward which is often imperfect.

As a result, when arrested, they pile on any charge they can in hopes that when they are whittled down, they are still left with something that will stick.

It also depends on how bright the jury is or isn't. [laugh]

Yeah but in that case they had zip for evidence. Even a decent public defender could have gotten that tossed. This time the have the guy, the gun and the goods. If this gets bargained down I'm getting a vest an a mastiff with a saddle for our toy dog.

That means nothing. Read the court logs of any local paper, you'll see plenty of examples of career felons with charges that get pled down to nothing or otherwise result in no penalty for the crook.

Here's a few recent ones in Mass.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20100128/COURTRECORDS/1280688/1056

Angel Torres, 25, of 12 North Ashland St., Worcester, charged with two counts of possession of marijuana, two counts of possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card, two counts of carrying a firearm with ammunition, two counts of carrying a dangerous weapon on school grounds (firearm), possession of a large capacity firearm, and possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number. The charges were nolle prossed. A nol pros or nolle prosequi is a court filing reflecting a prosecutor’s decision not to proceed with a criminal case after charges have been brought.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20090220/COURTRECORDS/902200490/0/FRONTPAGE

Hoang Nguyen, 26, with a last known address of 11 Channing St., Worcester, was sentenced to three concurrent terms of two years in the House of Correction after pleading guilty to two counts of possession of a firearm without a Firearm Identification Card and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. The balance of the sentence was suspended for five years with probation. He was sentenced to two concurrent terms of one year in the House of Correction after pleading guilty to two counts of improperly storing a firearm. The balance of the sentence was suspended for five years with probation. As conditions of probation, he was ordered to undergo a substance abuse evaluation, with any related treatment and counseling as recommended by the Probation Department, and not to possess weapons. Charges of possession of a sawed-off shotgun and drug violation near a school or park were dismissed.

(Posession of a sawed off is supposed to result in life in prison at both the state and federal level). [thinking]

Hopefully he breaks into a home where he ends up in the coroner's van.

In a perfect world, there would be no need to wait for the free-walking felon to make a fatal mistake. But, this is not a perfect world.

ETA: I am not condoning vigilantism. Seriously. I'm not.

In a perfect world, there would be no need to wait for the free-walking felon to make a fatal mistake. But, this is not a perfect world.

ETA: I am not condoning vigilantism. Seriously. I'm not.

I don't think they were referring to vigilantism. These criminals need to understand that if you conduct a home invasion, you are going to run the risk of leaving in your own life-sized ziplock bag. For the same reason, I have no issues with someone getting an extra hole in their head when they try to rob a store at gunpoint. I recently saw a YouTube video where neighbors were crying and saying how sad it was, the community failed them, blah blah blah. You pull a gun on someone, prepare to be shot. Whether you planned to use it or not, the gun was unloaded, I don't care. Actions have consequences and it is nobody's fault but their own. It would be a much better world if the situation never came about, but that is the world we live in and it will remain so whether or not we have gun control.

I don't think they were referring to vigilantism. These criminals need to understand that if you conduct a home invasion, you are going to run the risk of leaving in your own life-sized ziplock bag.

That's not what I meant. I simply suggested that some bad man, some very bad man, knowing the name and last known address of a free-walking felon, might not wait for said felon to force his way into his home and ... pre-emptively ... take out the trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom