Broad daylight break in attempt thwarted

fencer

NES Member
This morning at approximately 09:30 a man tried to break into my neighbors house while he was home. He is a Real Estate agent and typically leaves the house around 10:00. He was upstairs getting dressed when his doorbell rang several times. He looked out of an upstairs window and noticed a POS Dodge MiniVan approx. 1992 backed into his driveway. This raised a red flag and he started down the stairs when he heard a Boom, Boom, Boom. The guys was trying to shoulder his way through the breezeway door. Thinking there may be more than one person in the house, my neighbor ran out the front door and hollered WTF. The guy backs away from the door and says is Carol home? Is this 183? His address is 184 and he is a single guy. He responds" There is no 183" the guys says "Sorry" and hops in the minivan.
My neighbor has the presence of mind to get the plate number and watch what direction he turns when leaving our side street. He then ran into the house called 911 and went to check the breezeway door. The frame had shattered and one more good push would have opened it. He called me right after and I walked over. Two cruisers from our town and the neighboring town responded within three minutes. Our street is right on the town line. They ran the license plate which was stolen off a vehicle in Lynn. The BG was described as a black male approx. 6'2" tall and 240 lbs about 30-35 years old.
So now we are all thinking, what if one of our wives or daughters had been the victim? We live in an upper middle class neighborhood. Every lot is at least an acre and the smallest house is 4 bedrooms. This guy was looking for empty houses and was surprised.
OK so here is the silver lining. When I went over to talk to my neighbor he said he is thinking about getting a gun. I told him that I have been a gun owner for years and explained to him the process and told him where to take the course. I also told him he should think about getting a dog as it probably would have ended the whole event.
I am taking him to the range tomorrow to teach him how to shoot a shotgun and handguns. I told him I would pay for the bullets.
Get a dog, keep your doors locked and your guns clean and handy. This could happen to any of us.

When I came home after talking to him my wife and 18 year old daughter both said. "We are so glad you made us learn how to shoot and that we have a dog" I said" no shit". Pardon the language.

great job "bringing them in".... it's unfortunate that it happened the way it did though.

what really sucks is now they (he) have to take a stupid class, make an appointment and WAIT ____ weeks BEFORE they can buy any guns... [rolleyes]

i hope he picked up a couple baseball bats from wal mart, maybe an ax for "awe" factor [smile]

great job "bringing them in".... it's unfortunate that it happened the way it did though.

what really sucks is now they (he) have to take a stupid class, make an appointment and WAIT ____ weeks BEFORE they can buy any guns... [rolleyes]

i hope he picked up a couple baseball bats from wal mart, maybe an ax for "awe" factor [smile]
Ipod with a shotgun racking hooked up to the entertainment center [laugh]

Glad it turned out ok. Even better that they learned the lesson with minimal hardship.

We live in an upper middle class neighborhood. Every lot is at least an acre and the smallest house is 4 bedrooms.

WOW! You must be rich like Scott Brown [wink]
I glad everything worked out and I hope they find the BG before he gets into someone's home.

He should have said yes this is 183, hold on while I go get Carol....Then he should have gone and got his baseball bat from the closet and introduced Carol to Bg....Thank God that the situation turned out for the better

Last edited:
So now we are all thinking, what if one of our wives or daughters had been the victim? .

Thanks to Lynne's instruction and my follow up training, I can answer that question. My door would have broken. My alarm would have gone off. He would have taken 2 steps through the door. My dog would have attacked him. My wife would have air conditioned his jacket, and everything inside it with a G30.

Thanks to Lynne's instruction and my follow up training, I can answer that question. My door would have broken. My alarm would have gone off. He would have taken 2 steps through the door. My dog would have attacked him. My wife would have air conditioned his jacket, and everything inside it with a G30.

Incoming rep for (a) having a dog, (b)getting her trained and most importantly (c) having a badass G30. IMHO the best Glock. .45 cal, lots of rounds.

I live on the Bridgewater, West Bridgewater line. I'd rather not say in which town.

I grew up on the edge of the 24/106 cloverleaf in WB. Opposite the mighty Shell station sign. That town has gone straight to hell, I think. It's burglar-commutable to Boston. And easy pickins, too.

I actually let him "Borrow" my Ranger Tomahawk. It was a gift from a good friend but if I could not have a gun it is a pretty effective weapon.

I live on the Bridgewater, West Bridgewater line. I'd rather not say in which town.

thanks, i was just trying to get an idea how close to my neck of the woods it was

I actually let him "Borrow" my Ranger Tomahawk. It was a gift from a good friend but if I could not have a gun it is a pretty effective weapon.

maybe your neighbor should take up boating... and if hes going to take up boating he should probably get a flare gun... just in case hes stranded somewhere of course... no license needed for those... all this is hypothetical though lol

I grew up on the edge of the 24/106 cloverleaf in WB. Opposite the mighty Shell station sign. That town has gone straight to hell, I think. It's burglar-commutable to Boston. And easy pickins, too.

We actually love it here. Things may have changed since you were a kid but the schools are great, the PD can be a little tough on out of towners but are never far away and great to townies. I agree that it is a burgulars paradise but in my neighborhood there are 10 houses, 6 own guns, one is a cop and two are sheep. There used to be three sheep but I am taking the other to the range tomorrow.

That is actually a 226 but you can't tell from the pic. I plan on picking up a 220 next month cause they are awesome. My 226 is always on me unless I am in the shower.

Sig P229, P220, and SIG556 here.....I just think they make great guns. All of them work well, fire accurate, and are so easy to clean!

That is actually a 226 but you can't tell from the pic. I plan on picking up a 220 next month cause they are awesome. My 226 is always on me unless I am in the shower.

love my 226 in .40, bought it back around 2002 though so long before they started making them standard with attachment rails

Sig P229, P220, and SIG556 here.....I just think they make great guns. All of them work well, fire accurate, and are so easy to clean!

Agreed. I know that Glock guys love their Glocks but I am a Sig guy through and through. But.... if my S&W 686 held 13 rounds and didn't weigh 46 pounds I'd carry it everywhere. It's a real shooter and the gun I trained my wife on. Simple, reliable and very very effective. [grin] But truth be told I would stake my life on either if them, however she wasn't comfortable with the Sig. Besides if I am not home it is not home.

]

A quick commute from Brockton[hmmm] wonder where the BG came from?

No doubt. I think that is why the town has so many gun owners and the cops are so tough. The town may eventually go down the crapper but not without a fight. We have, by far, the lowest crime rate in the area but it has a lot to do with the residents sticking together. After the attempted break in, my wife and I made sure we contacted every neighbor we could think of to let them know what happened and they all told everyone they could think of. I'll bet half of the 5000 residents knew about the incident before 6:00pm

Bold mine, as I think that is the heart of the matter.

This story is exactly why we have a firearm readily accessible from any point in the house. By the third BOOM at the door I want a weapon in my hand.

And yes, dogs will scare away a lot of nasty 2-legged critters and will delay the rest in getting in the front door.

Originally Posted by Martlet

Incoming rep for (a) having a dog, (b)getting her trained and most importantly (c) having a badass G30. IMHO the best Glock. .45 cal, lots of rounds.

fencer, you're new here, so I'm going to clue you in that one of the most important things Martlet said was that LYNNE trained his wife to shoot. If you don't know who our Lynne is, I'll tell you she's the one who trained MY WIFE when it was time.

I've been shooting 50 years, and I think choosing Lynne does a SUPER Fantastic job of teaching the realities to women shooters. My wife said her husband Ed is also a marvelous instructor, and great teaching women.

I recommend every woman that needs training and shares your fears should listen to Lynne and learn from her.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Martlet

fencer, you're new here, so I'm going to clue you in that one of the most important things Martlet said was that LYNNE trained his wife to shoot. If you don't know who our Lynne is, I'll tell you she's the one who trained MY WIFE when it was time.

I've been shooting 50 years, and I think choosing Lynne does a SUPER Fantastic job of teaching the realities to women shooters. My wife said her husband Ed is also a marvelous instructor, and great teaching women.

I recommend every woman that needs training and shares your fears should listen to Lynne and learn from her.

Thanks for the insight to the new guy. I understood that Lynne was the person who trained his wife, but after a search of the Training forum I now understand that she is one of our venerable Moderators as well as an instructor. I am learning.

Haverhill is a bit of a hike though. But it sounds like you guys are telling me it is worth the trip? I'd really like my wife to get some more training. I've taught her to shoot and the basics of safety etc. She has agreed to apply for her LTC but I know that is just the start. I can just hear it now. " Honey!! Did you use up all of the Federal Ammo that I bought last week?!"

We keep a grocery list that everyone in the house adds to during the week. Now it will read, Razor blades, Honey Nut Cheerios, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .38 Special, paper plates, bananas, apple juice....

Thanks for the insight to the new guy. I understood that Lynne was the person who trained his wife, but after a search of the Training forum I now understand that she is one of our venerable Moderators as well as an instructor. I am learning.

Haverhill is a bit of a hike though. But it sounds like you guys are telling me it is worth the trip? I'd really like my wife to get some more training. I've taught her to shoot and the basics of safety etc. She has agreed to apply for her LTC but I know that is just the start. I can just hear it now. " Honey!! Did you use up all of the Federal Ammo that I bought last week?!"

We keep a grocery list that everyone in the house adds to during the week. Now it will read, Razor blades, Honey Nut Cheerios, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .38 Special, paper plates, bananas, apple juice....

It is without a doubt worth the hike. I'm not a big fan of husbands training wives. I'm confident in my ability to train, but felt she'd be more comfortable, and learn more, from another woman. She was new to firearms. She needed to see/hear it from another woman, not from her husband. Once she understood that she could do it, and do it well, it's easy for us to train "together". Lynne built her confidence. I just added to it later.

Seriously. Not even a can of Mace in the house until that permit comes in. [angry]

maybe your neighbor should take up boating... and if hes going to take up boating he should probably get a flare gun... just in case hes stranded somewhere of course... no license needed for those... all this is hypothetical though lol

[rofl]

This story is exactly why we have a firearm readily accessible from any point in the house. By the third BOOM at the door I want a weapon in my hand.

You might not make it to three booms. A fat criminal or one with a sledgehammer can get through most doors with one swift hit.

She has agreed to apply for her LTC but I know that is just the start. I can just hear it now. " Honey!! Did you use up all of the Federal Ammo that I bought last week?!"

There are a few guys on here who would kill for the chance to have a wife like that...just sayin'. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom