Bringing non compliant weapons into Mass.

Thanks Jdub.
Yep, you're darn close now! The only thing is that the stupid language of C. 269 § 10 has thrown you for another loop. You cannot have any firearm even in your home or business without an FID/LTC. (See C. 140 § 129C, and § 129(6) for the inevitable follow up trickery which would make you think you can possess a handgun or large capacity rifle/shotgun in your home/business with an FID)

I *think* I see. 140 129C http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129c.htm says see 140 129B (6) http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129b.htm which says the FID card is not good for Large capacity feeding etc but because we have already nipped that one with 501.CMR 7.02 http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/... CMR 7.pdf that tells us that Large capaciity is OK as long as it is nowhere near the firearm etc... See earlier post above. That said, it appears the FID card would cover me in my own home or business. But you are mentioning the "followup trickery" that would make me think this is correct, is in fact NOT CORRECT. Help me here please.

Please understand I am not arguing, just trying to figure it all out. i think I am slowly getting it.

Thanks

P....

PS. I am actually hoping to take this to another level after we (I) get it straight. And that is: Is my RV (Large, slide-in fully self-contained truck camper) when mounted in the bed of my truck and traveling thru MA, legally considered my "home" and/or "curtilage" and if so, do I have any legal protection with respect to firearm possession, if they are stored securely, unloaded, and separate from ammunition in the RV? If this is for another thread, let me know, or perhaps one of the moderators will move it at their discretion.

Please understand I am not arguing, just trying to figure it all out. i think I am slowly getting it.

No, I know you're not arguing. You're doing your due diligence to actually read and understand the laws. Kudos and rep points to you for it!

pOmeroy said:
That said, it appears the FID card would cover me in my own home or business. But you are mentioning the "followup trickery" that would make me think this is correct, is in fact NOT CORRECT. Help me here please.

Yes, you've almost completed the puzzle. It would seem by all the laws you've looked through so far, that an FID holder would be able to have a non-large capacity handgun in their home or business. That is, until you get to the tiny little bit of 129B(6) that reads:

"A firearm identification card shall not entitle a holder thereof to possess [...] (i) a large capacity firearm [...] (ii) a non-large capacity firearm"

So, in other words, take all that language about "home or business" from the other statutes and dump it in the toilet, because 129B(6) negates it all. An FID holder is not entitled to possess a handgun, regardless of whether it is large capacity or not. The reason the "home or business" wording is in there is because it is older text than the text in 129B(6) and nobody bothered to take it out when they wrote the new additions to the law in 1998.

pOmeroy said:
do I have any legal protection with respect to firearm possession, if they are stored securely, unloaded, and separate from ammunition in the RV?

As a non-resident without an LTC, your only protection for having a large capacity handgun is the federal Safe Passage law (18 USC 44 § 926A) we were discussing at the beginning of the thread. For a non-large capacity handgun, you have a few additional rights, which are in C. 140 § 131G. You are allowed to have it for a formal competition, an organized collector's meeting or exhibition, hunting with a license, or for LEOs duly authorized by their state.

Back
Top Bottom