Bringing firearms to CT??

Hello, my father in law lives in CT. He has some land and shoots on it on occasion. I'd like to bring my shotgun down as there's not many places to shoot it around here. (If anyone has suggestions in the south shore of mass to shoot it that'd be appreciated as well.)
Basically is there anyway to bring my shotgun to CT to shoot? What's the legality of it, or who can I contact to ask my questions?

Thank you all!

I have been meaning to ask about this as well.
Some ranges in CT offer classes.
Can I bring a handgun with 10 round mags to CT for a class?
What if I'm staying at a hotel?
Can I bring the gun into my hotel room?

@dcmdon would be the guy to ask. I seem to recall that most long guns might be okay to bring to CT but handguns you need to have a non-resident permit?

Thank you! I'll wait to see if he can chime in.
I just found some of dcmdon's posts in another thread discussing the legalities of bringing guns into CT from non-residents. Just tagged you in that thread.

I just found some of dcmdon's posts in another thread discussing the legalities of bringing guns into CT from non-residents. Just tagged you in that thread.

Thank you! I appreciate it!

So I can bring a shotgun legally across the state lines?
Any shotgun that is not an AW per CT law is perfectly legal for you to do whatever you want with. No license is necessary to possess, carry, transport or use in any way, a shotgun in CT.

If you want to hunt with a shotgun in CT, fine.
If you want to go shoot in a sandpitwith a friend in CT, fine.

If you want to bring a shotgun into CT, you only have to worry about the following things re AW ban.
1) it is named - Street Sweeper or SA12
2) it runs afoul of "evil features" part of AWB with two or more of the following features.
[(C)] (vi) A semiautomatic shotgun that has [at least two] both of the following:
[(i)] (I) A folding or telescoping stock; and
[(ii) A] (II) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, [that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;] a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing; or
[(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and]
[
(iv) An] (vii) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine;
(viii) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder;

The take away here is that if you have a semi-auto traditional shotgun that holds 5 or fewer rounds, you don't have anything to worry about.

The only other CT prohibition is you can't transport your shotgun loaded. This is an anti-poaching law that's been around for decades.

Bottom line. If you want to bring your shotgun in to play, and its a "normal" shotgun. Then have at it.

Any shotgun that is not an AW per CT law is perfectly legal for you to do whatever you want with. No license is necessary to possess, carry, transport or use in any way, a shotgun in CT.

If you want to hunt with a shotgun in CT, fine.
If you want to go shoot in a sandpitwith a friend in CT, fine.

If you want to bring a shotgun into CT, you only have to worry about the following things re AW ban.
1) it is named - Street Sweeper or SA12
2) it runs afoul of "evil features" part of AWB with two or more of the following features.
[(C)] (vi) A semiautomatic shotgun that has [at least two] both of the following:
[(i)] (I) A folding or telescoping stock; and
[(ii) A] (II) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, [that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;] a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing; or
[(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and]
[
(iv) An] (vii) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine;
(viii) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder;

The take away here is that if you have a semi-auto traditional shotgun that holds 5 or fewer rounds, you don't have anything to worry about.

The only other CT prohibition is you can't transport your shotgun loaded. This is an anti-poaching law that's been around for decades.

Bottom line. If you want to bring your shotgun in to play, and its a "normal" shotgun. Then have at it.
Thank you! You all have been so helpful!!

I have been meaning to ask about this as well.
Some ranges in CT offer classes.
Can I bring a handgun with 10 round mags to CT for a class?
What if I'm staying at a hotel?
Can I bring the gun into my hotel room?

No problem. Normally CT requires a PP to even transport a handgun to the range. However there is a specific carve out for classes and competition.
No grandfathering of standard cap mags.
In your hotel, you are only bound by CT storage restrictions. Which absent a child in the Hotel room, doesn't exist.

Re storage of a HANDGUN if you leave the vehicle unattended, there is a new law that requires it to be in a "locked safe", trunk or glovebox.
However, the actual TRANSPORT part of the law prohibits a non PP holder from transporting in the glovebox. Please see bolded section below for transport requirments when bringing a handgun into CT for classes or competition.

So if you have a pickup or SUV, then you need a lock box if you intend to keep the HANDGUN in the car while going to dinner after class, for example.
(There are no restrictions on how you store a long gun in your car when it is unattended. There are also no restrictions on transport, as long as its unloaded. Its perfectly legal to drivedown the road with your unloaded wood stocked mini-14 across your lap and a loaded 10 round mag in your hand)

The text of the law is very simple. Almost too simple.
Section 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2019) (a) (1) No person shall store or keep any pistol or revolver in any motor vehicle that is unattended unless such pistol or revolver is in the trunk, a locked safe or locked glove box.

Re carve out for training and competition:

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited.

Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply .....

to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise,

or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business,

or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another,

or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired

or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired,

or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides,

or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, “formal pistol or revolver training” means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and “transporting a pistol or revolver” means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

Back
Top Bottom