Bringing arms out of state

I have an LTC-A in MA. I'd like to go shooting with my grandfather on his property in CT. Do i need an LTC in CT? It is close to $200 just to get a permit there. Any advice?

IANAL, but I believe you'll need a CT NR permit to legally transport a handgun into CT.

"No permit or certificate is required to buy, possess, or carry long guns."

"Assault weapons are illegal. People cannot legally buy them or (with one minor exception) bring them into Connecticut."

"(The definition of assault weapons is highly technical; see CGS § 53-202a. )"

Let's start by saying that you have asked a legal question. To be truly safe, you should really only rely on an answer that you receive from a lawyer that you have paid for advice.

That being said, federal law allows that, under certain conditions, you can transport your weapon between any two places where you can legally possess it. Since you have a Ma LTC, you are good at your starting end. I believe that in CT you do not need a permit to legally possess a weapon in your own home, so you might be good at your grandfather's end as well. Once again, I am not a lawyer, so you should not rely on my advice. Seek legal counsel.

jeff

IMHO Grandfather's house would not be considered "his home", therefore permit is needed. Long guns are fine so long as they are not what the CT legislature considers assault weapons.

Back
Top Bottom