Bringing a minor to range

So given that my son aged 9 is mature enough to go to the gun range , are there any laws prohibiting him from firing with my supervision?

You can take your son to the range. I have been taking mine since he was 7 or 8.

Read and follow your clubs rules. Be safe and have fun!

What are you going to be shooting?

I don't know if any laws that say you cannot bring a child to the range. But I stay right on my kids when they are shooting and their first few times on the line they got barney fifed. QAfter that they were good with 5 in the mag on the .22 and the AR. Probably about an inch between me and their back and my hands are right there to grab that rifle in the event. But 9 years old....no worries with a 22 or the AR after you show them what to do. My youngest is 10 and she did great! Kids learn much faster and easier than most of the adults I know....lol

Started bringing my son at 7 with the .22 rifle. He tried 22 pistol at 10, but didn't like it. At 12 he asked about the pistol and liked it. Started shooting the 9 and 20 gauge at around 15. By 17 there was nothing he wouldn't try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No laws against this as long as you are directly supervising them.

Some clubs prohibit it, so check the rules.

GOAL raised the point that prior to the current bill (awaiting the Devil's signature), it may not have been legal to run juniors programs unless the student's parent was there doing the supervising. I really never looked into this, so just repeating what GOAL put out. Apparently the new bill corrects this problem.

Thanks guys!
I'm still looking to join a local rod and gun club. But I know a firearm dealer with plenty of land he lets me shoot on. It would be a great quiet area to show him gun safety.
I just wanted to make sure I'm not acting outside of some odd ball MA law.

MGL ch. 140 sec. 130, which prohibits the sale or furnishing of long guns to anyone under 18 and handguns to anyone under 21, has an explicit exception that allows younger children to use rifles and shotguns supervised, with the permission of a parent or guardian:

[…] Nothing in this section or section one hundred and thirty-one E shall be construed to prohibit a parent or guardian from allowing his child or ward, who has not attained age fifteen, the supervised use of a rifle or shotgun or ammunition therefor, according to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine C […]

Relevant thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/12511-Minimum-age-to-shoot-in-MA

There is no consensus on whether it's legal to let your child shoot a handgun supervised and no relevant case law.

Last edited:
Until my son was VERY well versed, my personal policy was that I was within arms reach when he held a loaded firearm.

I never had to reach in, but sometimes young folks have a hard time with the concept of "safe direction" when they are having fun and get excited.

Moonbatty left-wing Statists love to point at children using guns as the nutty, unhealthy gun obsessive culture of domestic terrorists. So the next compromise bill that passes in MA will likely include prohibition of anyone under 15 from possessing or handling any firearm regardless of supervision. Pure speculation.

Moonbatty left-wing Statists love to point at children using guns as the nutty, unhealthy gun obsessive culture of domestic terrorists. So the next compromise bill that passes in MA will likely include prohibition of anyone under 15 from possessing or handling any firearm regardless of supervision. Pure speculation.

I don't know … when even Boston Globe can print articles like this once in a while, there is hope.

Late starter [wink]

My kids started shooting at age 2. I think my youngest went to his first NES shoot before he was one and was shooting at one by age 3.

Late starter [wink]

My kids started shooting at age 2. I think my youngest went to his first NES shoot before he was one and was shooting at one by age 3.

3399431-serious+funny.jpg

How does that work? " Daddy will change your diaper as soon as you empty your magazine" LOL

3399431-serious+funny.jpg

How does that work? " Daddy will change your diaper as soon as you empty your magazine" LOL

Absolutely serious. There's pics of him shooting a 15-22 at age three at an NES shoot. He was helping clean revolvers almost before he could walk.

a handgun, because it is easier to sweep other shooters, should only be handled by a kid if they have proven, over and over again, that they can handle a .22 rifle and follow all the rules. A .22 bolt action is probably a good thing to start off on.

Some gun clubs are banning young kids though, so don't join one that has rules against your kids! check first.

Your biggest threat will be your gun club.
Although I can not find it in the 2 clubs rule books I belong to on minimum age for me to bring them and shoot they do have min ages for the various events.
1 club jr shooting is 10 and 13 to shoot cmp .
2 club is more apt to see how well your kids perform to rules and safety to participate.
My daughter been shooting pellet guns since 3. Shes now 6. Has her pink savage and pink range gear. The snears and mumbles from some folk that just hate kids in "their " club is still strong.

Marlin bolt action is what I start with. I agree that shooting pistol should come later. It's almost impossible for them to point a rifle at themselves and it's easy for you to grab the barrel. Of course I'd also recommend shooting from a rest or even a sled if you have one. Kids have a hard enough time learning the controls when very young.

Just be really careful and put safety first and you should be good. I started my nine year old out with BB guns when he was five and then moved him up to my browning bl22 when he was nine. When he was comfortable with that I moved him onto my Mark II. He wanted to try my 1911 so I coached him on the gun and how to be safe with it and I let him shoot the gun with only one round so it wouldn't get out of control. He was fine and he actually shoots better then his three older brothers.

Started my son at 9 with bb gun.....then 22 rifle.......but every kid is different......it is less about age and more about what you feel they are ready to handle as far as maturity/physical ability. My son is 12 now and he's a big kid and quite mature for his age. He regularly fires a mosin nagant m38 carbine and 91-30, and m1 garand, slugs through a shotgun, and a snub 357 magnum! My cousin's boy is 14 and didn't like shooting a 308 bolt action rifle and is not even fond of shooting a 22 revolver.....its not a big deal....its not "bad"........each child is different. Start em small and slow and watch.......let them decide through their reactions what they are or are not ready for. With my son I can't get over the grin on his face when he fires the M1 and M38!!!!!!! Priceless!

I bring my 8 and 11 year old all the time. Matter of fact this year my oldest will get his first rifle that will be his ( stupid MA law once he is 18 grumble ). I started them on BB guns that they still bring since they can shoot them as much as they want while I shoot. Then I let them shoot while I supervise.

Although I can not find it in the 2 clubs rule books I belong to on minimum age for me to bring them and shoot they do have min ages for the various events.
2 club is more apt to see how well your kids perform to rules and safety to participate.
My daughter been shooting pellet guns since 3. Shes now 6. Has her pink savage and pink range gear. The snears and mumbles from some folk that just hate kids in "their " club is still strong.

I've sensed that from some people at my club. But for the most part my club is very kid friendly. Lots of programs for the younger ones. The problem I see with that attitude though is we need to pass this right onto our children. If we don't bring them and we don't teach them they will have no interest in it and sooner rather than later the second amendment will be gone because we failed at passing these rights onto our children. But the last time I was there with my daughters the other guys gave me all the room in the world and one guy I was having a conversation with even commented that he was glad to see I brought my daughter to the range.

If you have a daughter don't bring her. She'll make you look silly. [laugh]
After 1 session of 22lr I had my 14 y/o daughter try my former HK P30LS 9mm and she was pounding the bullseye. It was only about 20 feet or so but still. Girls just do what they're told. There's no macho BS to screw up their form or focus. Aim, shoot. That's all they think about.

MGL ch. 140 sec. 130, which prohibits the sale or furnishing of long guns to anyone under 18 and handguns to anyone under 21, has an explicit exception that allows younger children to use rifles and shotguns supervised, with the permission of a parent or guardian:

Relevant thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/12511-Minimum-age-to-shoot-in-MA

There is no consensus on whether it's legal to let your child shoot a handgun supervised and no relevant case law.

The new law explicitly allows minors to use firearms (handguns) under appropriate supervision. From Comm2A's writeup:

The current language of MGL Ch 140 §130 is usually interpreted as prohibiting the ‘furnishing’ of a handgun to anyone younger than 15 years of age. Faced with
uncertainty as to the legality of handgun oriented junior programs it’s been virtually
impossible to attract sponsors and facilities to support these programs. The revised
statute removes the questionable language in §130 and adds §130½ which explicitly
allow minors to use firearms under appropriate supervision.

My oldest started this year at a family fun shoot our club has (She turns 6 in November). My yougest pulled the trigger for the first time a couple months ago (She is 3). My oldest can recite the rules (Eddie Eagle and Firearm useage), and I'm working on the 3yr old. They both love the pink bolt action, and it's perfect for them. The only reaction I have gotten from members at our club so far is "Awesome" "Good Job, starting them young" etc. Have had a few folks ask questions like how long they have been shooting.

Back
Top Bottom