• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bringing a gun to Massachusetts

I recently moved to Massachusetts and I'm applying for my LTC. When I lived in NY, my brother bought me a ruger 10/22 about 7 years ago. Since I don't have an LTC I left the gun locked up at my parents' house in NY. When I get my LTC can I just go get my 10/22 and bring it back to Mass?

wrong info

you will have to do one of those 1040 forms or whatever.

Oops mean FA10 form sorry, was talking to wife about taxes.

Last edited:
you will have to do one of those 1040 forms or whatever.

Oops mean FA10 form sorry, was talking to wife about taxes.

It might not be that simple, it may depend on how long he's been in Mass. Generally, if you move to Mass with your guns, you have a grace period (I think it's 60 days) in which you must get a LTC. Once you have your LTC, you can register your guns on an FA-10 as NewGunGuy described.

However, if you've already been a Mass resident for years, I don't think you can just decide to get an LTC, and then truck in guns from out of state. They'd probably have to go through an FFL.

Then again, there are many who dispute this "registration" process, and will tell you just to go get your 10/22 once you have your LTC in hand, an F the Commonwealth.

I recently moved to Massachusetts and I'm applying for my LTC. When I lived in NY, my brother bought me a ruger 10/22 about 7 years ago. Since I don't have an LTC I left the gun locked up at my parents' house in NY. When I get my LTC can I just go get my 10/22 and bring it back to Mass?

American, welcome to the forum!

You will find a ton of good information in the "Stickys" in the MA laws subforum.

This one should help answer your question.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...054-moving-massachusetts-read-here-first.html

Unless you already lived here and you're bringing the 10/22 in, then FA-10. But if you still don't have residency here, bring it in as long as it's not in AW configuration.

Last edited:
I moved to Mass about 8 months ago, but I didn't become an official Mass resident until Jan 2013.

Are you allowed to buy a rifle from a private seller out of state in Mass?
In that case I could "Buy" the 10/22 from my brother and fill out an fa-10.

However, I like TonyDedo's idea. F**k it.

I moved to Mass about 8 months ago, but I didn't become an official Mass resident until Jan 2013.

Yes, as long as it doesn't conflict our AWB, you are good to go.

Last edited:
Welcome to NES!

When I get my LTC can I just go get my 10/22 and bring it back to Mass?

Yes.

You are required to submit a FA-10 within seven days of the rifles introduction into MA.

Check "Registration" and complete the form, leaving the "Seller" section blank.

Generally, if you move to Mass with your guns, you have a grace period (I think it's 60 days) in which you must get a LTC. Once you have your LTC, you can register your guns on an FA-10 as NewGunGuy described.

However, if you've already been a Mass resident for years, I don't think you can just decide to get an LTC, and then truck in guns from out of state. They'd probably have to go through an FFL.

If the guns enter the state contemporaneously with the move, one has 60 days to obtain a license, and no FA-10s are required.

Previously owned guns can always be brought in at a later date, no FFL necessary, but FA-10s are required to be submitted.

NO REGISTRATION FOR LONG GUNS. LTC is all you need.

Huh?

No, transfers between residents of different states must be effected by a FFL.

Yes, as long as it doesn't conflict our AWB, you are good to go. No registration at all.

This is really bad advice. [thinking]

Welcome to NES!

Yes.

You are required to submit a FA-10 within seven days of the rifles introduction into MA.

Check "Registration" and complete the form, leaving the "Seller" section blank.

If the guns enter the state contemporaneously with the move, one has 60 days to obtain a license, and no FA-10s are required.

Previously owned guns can always be brought in at a later date, no FFL necessary, but FA-10s are required to be submitted.

Huh?

No, transfers between residents of different states must be effected by a FFL.

This is really bad advice. [thinking]

I was incorrect. Sorry OP. gotta love the 60 day grace period [rolleyes]

Let me correct you. You moved to MA in January 2013, before that you were a resident of another state.

Can you cite this? I mean, say someone was a resident of Texas 10 years ago, and all of a sudden they stumbled across one of their guns that had been "sitting in a Texas storage unit" or "in their grandmother's attic." 10 years after changing their residency they can just pop an FA-10 into the mail and be good to go?

That doesn't seem right to me...

Can you cite this? I mean, say someone was a resident of Texas 10 years ago, and all of a sudden they stumbled across one of their guns that had been "sitting in a Texas storage unit" or "in their grandmother's attic." 10 years after changing their residency they can just pop an FA-10 into the mail and be good to go?

That doesn't seem right to me...

Why not? You were the legal owner in TX right? did anyone else take legal possession or were they stored?
You can own guns in another state if you were a resident when you acquired them. For example you could buy a summer home in NH and leave couple guns there. Maybe a few years later you sell the summer home, you then bring the guns back to MA and FA-10 them.

My understanding is you just have to file the FA10 within 60 days of bringing them into the state?

There is so much BAD/ILLEGAL info in this thread that it is truly sickening!

OP, read the sticky link posted earlier in the thread!

I'm sorry, but we don't allow firearms in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts UNLESS you're a law enforcement officer, federal agent, between the ages of 73 and 82, or a dogcatcher. Read the Mass Laws sub-forum for more information and a list of overpaid qualified municipal positions.

There is so much BAD/ILLEGAL info in this thread that it is truly sickening!

OP, read the sticky link posted earlier in the thread!

I agree with this, I stated the wrong info. 60 days and FA-10? Just like other MA laws. Bullshit. I apologize to the OP for the mistake.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this, I stated the wrong info. 60 days and FA-10? Just like other MA laws. Bullshit. I apologize to the OP for the mistake.

I'm sorry, but we don't allow firearms in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts UNLESS you're a law enforcement officer, federal agent, between the ages of 73 and 82, or a dogcatcher. Read the Mass Laws sub-forum for more information and a list of overpaid qualified municipal positions.

[laugh] [hmmm] [sad2]

Private transfers between residents of different states are illegal everywhere, by federal law.

Doing what you describe would require passing the gun through a licensed dealer.

Back
Top Bottom