• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

bringing a firearm from RI into MA for a class.

Ink

I have a couple of people coming to me for a class i am doing shortly. They are from RI and a few may possibly bring firearms with them. Am i to assume that if the gun is locked up with trigger or cable locks or in a locked container, unloaded then they are OK to proceed into the people's republic ??

I have a couple of people coming to me for a class i am doing shortly. They are from RI and a few may possibly bring firearms with them. Am i to assume that if the gun is locked up with trigger or cable locks or in a locked container, unloaded then they are OK to proceed into the people's republic ??

FOPA won't cover them because their end destination is a place where they can't legally possess a firearm.
Unless they have a MA NR LTC, they couldnt legally transport them here or posses them ehre (except for very narrow exceptions, such as going to a formal shooting competition).

I am sure someone will be along shortly to elaborate, but the short answer is: most likely not able to bring them.

Last edited:
I do not think they would have a legal leg to stand on, as your class is not a sanctioned shooting event.

Chapter 140 Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting........and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state.....which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131G

Guess your 'class' is turning into a competition!

Sadly, I agree with BA2 & Glockaholic here.

EOPS has interpreted 131G to mean that said permit from another state MUST meet ALL the MA criteria for issuance to be valid under that exemption. Then EOPS goes on to proudly state that no other state in the US is as strict as MA and therefore nobody is exempt! [Worth noting: Many states have a "forgiveness expiration" to the prohibition wrt drug laws for minor/MJ infractions . . . MA does not!]

To the case in hand, most RI residents don't have RI Permits to carry because they don't need them and RI towns/AG arbitrarily refuse to issue them. They don't need a permit to possess (IIRC just a "blue card" to purchase handguns) only to CCW in RI.

I have a couple of people coming to me for a class i am doing shortly. They are from RI and a few may possibly bring firearms with them.

As you don't specify handguns or long-guns...

Non-resident transport/possession of large capacity handguns, large capacity long-guns, and their respective magazines, requires a non-resident LTC.

Non-resident transport/possession of non-large capacity handguns requires either a non-resident LTC, or exempt status pursuant to MGL 140-131G.

Non-resident transport/possession of non-large capacity long-guns only requires compliance with MGL 140-129C, subsections (h) and (p).

...locked up with trigger or cable locks or in a locked container, unloaded...

FYI, a trigger or cable lock is legally insufficient for vehicular transport of handguns and/or large capacity long-guns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom