• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

bring brass into Mass.

Is there anything stopping Leo from charging a scrap yard? I don’t recall any exceptions in the mass gun laws?
Yahbut think about it.

It would be like setting a stop sign ticket trap on a one-way street to
a Saturday morning police gun buyback.

Affording the metal recyclers a good leaving alone
means removing ammo components from the shootosphere.

Dissuade recyclers from trashing brass,
and gun owners would be more likely to find some SOB
willing to take the cases off their hands to reload it.

XRF spectrometer? Used one of those all the time at my previous job.
My club CRO has a trigger scale.
I bet he reloads;
I'll have to see if he's got a spectrometer, too.

Yahbut think about it.

It would be like setting a stop sign ticket trap on a one-way street to
a Saturday morning police gun buyback.

Aren't people protected under MGL bringing guns to police station or a buyback operated by kopsch? I think I remember this being part of the problem with the old "well why doesnt an FFL sit out front of the buyback and hand out business cards" thing, because the moment the seller, uh, victim goes to the dealers with the gun and not the buyback, they're no longer protected in transit... unless the dealer is going to intake the guns right there on the sidewalk.

I don't think most police actually care about brass though, only in that one context of a tack on charge to try to arrest someone, or if they have a fishing expedition that otherwise failed and the guy has a piece of .22 LR brass in his shoe tread or something, they can still use that as a string to hang someone with. Or when
they catch 14 year old "Johnny "f***ey" bignutz Jr III" plotting to use a broadcast spreader to fill his schools hallways with .22 LR empties so that school will be cancelled for the rest of the year due to the panic... [rofl]

-Mike

Aren't people protected under MGL bringing guns to police station or a buyback operated by kopsch? I think I remember this being part of the problem with the old "well why doesnt an FFL sit out front of the buyback and hand out business cards" thing, because the moment the seller, uh, victim goes to the dealers with the gun and not the buyback, they're no longer protected in transit... unless the dealer is going to intake the guns right there on the sidewalk.
2xaksp.jpg

No need to melt it down. Just shoot a piece with my Niton gun by the way most expensive piece in the safeView attachment 277007
Damn you own one?! Ya they’re insanely expensive.
Here’s mine, note my trigger control lol. This was an Innov-X model. Which I believe was bought out by Olympus. I think I was told it costs around $30k....wish it was mine but this is one of 2 that EPA owns in Region I. I was using this to test heavy metals in soil.
4F219855-6C36-49CC-9025-F223669FE419.jpeg E9BCD761-236C-4E0B-85B8-0E9E1799EE14.jpeg

It was 45k just had to have one of the tubes done and recalibrated at 10k. Every 6 years they have to go out for recalibrating that's 5k the tube was due to one of my guys not using the lanyard dropped it. In demo they pay for them self on the return on product separation and knowing what your selling

They could have come down in price. You do have to be careful with trigger discipline you can put off 400 to 500 shots with out a battery change. Better than any drum mag out there with another on your belt ready to go

It was 45k just had to have one of the tubes done and recalibrated at 10k. Every 6 years they have to go out for recalibrating that's 5k the tube was due to one of my guys not using the lanyard dropped it. In demo they pay for them self on the return on product separation and knowing what your selling
Damn! Definitely valuable to have in the demo/scrap business.

Last edited:

I ran into aging children of a recently deceased gun owner while garage saleing a couple of years ago. I feared they would do something unfortunate or illegal with the estate's guns, and gently probed if they needed help. (NFW was I fishing to buy or get gifted any guns). But IIRC, they got the father's shooting buddy to drive the guns and them to Blue Northern, which either bought them or put them on consignment. Which is tres Massprudent and all good: NES: Found Gun in Attic Question.

Still, I was hoping to find a loophole in the "possessing/carrying/transporting guns w/o license" MGLs that made an exception allowing executors to transport estate guns to an FFL. However, moderate browsing of some MGLs and the GOAL cheat sheet failed to find what I was looking for. (I did find similar things that don't apply, and which might have been what I was thinking of).
=====

I just discovered that the state's voluntary surrender (buyback) statute, Ch. 140, §131O: Colonel of state police; statewide firearms surrender program, only immunizes (or authorizes?) disposal of guns - not ammo.

Guess the only solution is a funeral pyre on the beach.
Place skidload on ground, light fuse, drive forklift away fast.
=====

I just discovered that the only people entitled to participate in the state's voluntary surrender (buyback) program are citizens of the Commonwealth.
=====

I just discovered that the participants in the state's voluntary surrender (buyback) program must "[comply] with the policies set forth by the colonel ..."

No need to melt it down. Just shoot a piece with my Niton gun by the way most expensive piece in the safeView attachment 277007
my only reason to melt it down would be that the scrap yard if they have a alloy ray gun would zap it and maybe get a better price for a known alloy. Rather than just a $1 lb for rifle brass

Just scrapped my junk,rotted,split,squished brass in.
$1.40lb today $78 cash.
Talking to the gent he said owner has a LTC plus theres always a worker with a least a FID on hand. They keep it in a large bin that he said holds about 1ton and it has a locking lid.
He mentioned that there is not a lot of regulations directly related to the spent cases for scrap yards.
Only fire chief recomends storing in wood crates and away from flamable stuff.
They dont sell the cases as reloading ammo components but most goes to NH where its shredded.? What ever that means

He mentioned that there is not a lot of regulations directly related to the spent cases for scrap yards.
Only fire chief recomends storing in wood crates and away from flamable stuff.
One of The Bride's cousins had her old house heavily damaged by spontaneous combustion of a turpentine-soaked rag she'd used while oil painting.

But damn, I had no idea brass could do that, too.

my only reason to melt it down would be that the scrap yard if they have a alloy ray gun would zap it and maybe get a better price for a known alloy. Rather than just a $1 lb for rifle brass
I was just saying you could zap it with a nitron gun as one case. Pay out is different yard to yard depends on customer volume sims quoted me $1.78 a pound Wednesday but one a 10 ton order. Not on reloading brass but same comp. So 1.40 off the street your doing good

One of The Bride's cousins had her old house heavily damaged by spontaneous combustion of a turpentine-soaked rag she'd used while oil painting.

But damn, I had no idea brass could do that, too.
More so for the possible live primers or live rounds that might get through. large wooden boxes seem to be the norm for ammo and powder magazines. Maybe even chance of unburnt powder building up over time?
He did not want me taking pictures although i can say it was a nice set up and easy to process. Everyone seemed alert as far as safety goes. Clearly marked floor where YOU need to be . Then they give you a ticket and you go to a "ATM" machine scan ticket and get cash.

More so for the possible live primers or live rounds that might get through. large wooden boxes seem to be the norm for ammo and powder magazines. Maybe even chance of unburnt powder building up over time?
Yeah, it did occur to me that the occasional dud
was probably good for a giggle up at the shredder's.

But treating bulk brass like it's dripping with warm nitroglycerine
would make about as much sense as Goodwill storing lightly used boots
in wood crates, just in case one pair was donated by a gun owner
and there was a live .22LR stuck between the cleats, LOL.

Yeah, it did occur to me that the occasional dud
was probably good for a giggle up at the shredder's.

But treating bulk brass like it's dripping with warm nitroglycerine
would make about as much sense as Goodwill storing lightly used boots
in wood crates, just in case one pair was donated by a gun owner
and there was a live .22LR stuck between the cleats, LOL.
All sadly true, but if anyone can shut down someone’s business for not complying to some sort of codes or regs its the fire chief.
The way most laws are written here in mass your just a criminal in waiting no matter what you do!

What is the legality of me (in N.H.) and delivering to someone in mass. a bunch of used brass cases?
I'm late to the party but in jest I offer this: Put it in a flat rate priority mail box and put your address on the label and seal the box. I don't think the cops can open sealed mail without a warrant even though you haven't mailed it. You're on the way to a post office after all...right?

Probably not, but considering its mostly ranges that turn in large amounts, they're probably more focused on the crackheads that drive around and steal manhole covers and sewer grates.

If I could get it in writing that it paid more, I'd burn it all down into ingots and turn it in like that, like I do with lead.
You melt lead into ingots and sell it for scrap? Shame on you.

Back
Top Bottom