Bring a gun to FTF deals

June4th

NES Member
Iphones used as baits in robberies:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06132008/news/regionalnews/irobbed_115332.htm

A Brooklyn gang used a scam on craigslist.com to shake down New Yorkers with the lure of discounted iPhones, police said yesterday.

The scheme - which netted thousands of dollars from as many as 12 victims from all five boroughs finally came undone Wednesday night, when cops set up a sting on a Flatlands street corner and arrested four suspects.

Authorities said the ring posted ads promising bulk sales of discounted Apple iPhones - in at least one case offering 10 for $2,000 - and got the would-be customers to show up at desolate locations in Flatbush, East Flatbush and Flatlands.

When the victims arrived, the thugs robbed them at gunpoint, cops said.

Obviously, if one should exercise caution when 'a deal sounds too good to be true', and not go to one of the 'desolate locations' with thousands in cash on person, he/she could've won the potential gun fight by avoiding it altogether.

Last edited:
Keeping in mind it's Brooklyn, there's no lawful way to even keep a gun in your house unless you're Bill Cosby or Howard Stern.

I already carry when I go to sell or buy anything face to face on craigslist. I also make sure that if I am meeting the person somewhere, it is in a populated place. If they are coming to my place (to get a guitar and try it out first, for instance) I make sure my roommate is home with me AND I keep one in the barrel AND keep all other valuables out of sight so they dont get any ideas about coming back

+1 I have a specific hotel lobby that I meet people at from craigslist deals. Its one of the few places that a person is awake 24hours a day. Oh and I carry.

Keeping in mind it's Brooklyn, there's no lawful way to even keep a gun in your house unless you're Bill Cosby or Howard Stern.
No connection is needed for a premises or target handgun permit, though the process costs hundreds and take take a year or more for all the approvals to come through. Getting what is labeled a "full carry" permit in NYC requires significant connections or social position.

No connection is needed for a premises or target handgun permit, though the process costs hundreds and take take a year or more for all the approvals to come through. Getting what is labeled a "full carry" permit in NYC requires significant connections or social position.

Rob, a family friend of mine lives in Brooklyn, had their life threatened (documented through the PD, a very valid threat), and was denied for a premises permit. This person is wealthy and has a totally clean record, upstanding community member. I'm only speaking from what I know of it.

Rob, a family friend of mine lives in Brooklyn, had their life threatened (documented through the PD, a very valid threat), and was denied for a premises permit. This person is wealthy and has a totally clean record, upstanding community member. I'm only speaking from what I know of it.

I don't doubt your account one bit. I understand that there are individuals, either attorneys or certain gunshops like John Jovino's that offer a license service. If a fee is paid, the license "broker" virtually assures that a target or premisis permit will be issued.

Mark L.

Interesting - I know people in the competitive shooting community who got NYC handgun licenses without problems. It could be that they denied the one of which you speak on the basis of not accepting self-defense as an argument, but that documented involvement in organized sporting activity might get by. In any case, it's an ugly mess.

The "license brokers" are either using inside connections, or know what magic words work and which ones don't in NYC. My guess is that they just know the system well, since using inside connections and selling favors to people off the street would not be sustainable for the long term. Chances are saying "self defense" in NYC, unless you qualify under the "special person" criteria, will get you rejected whereas such a request in some hostile towns in MA the result would be a restriction on the LTC rather than an outright denial.

I also know (from one person who did succeed, as an unconnected person, in getting a NYPC target license) that they can be fussy about what kind of handgun they will let subjects register (this person was told "no highcap").

Last edited:
Iphones used as baits in robberies:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06132008/news/regionalnews/irobbed_115332.htm

Obviously, if one should excise caution when 'a deal sounds too good to be true', and not go to one of the 'desolate locations' with thousands in cash on person, he/she could've won the potential gun fight by avoiding it altogether.

Really, just how stupid can people be? This goes against any form of common sense (which isn't common at all) or remedial intelligence there is. Yeah I'm going to take $2000.00 in cash to a remote area to buy something that is to good to be true from someone I don't know from a hole in the wall, unarmed no less. Yeah that's smart.

Morons get what they deserve.

The hell with bringing a gun!
I am gonna start buying Iphones FTF off of Craigslist.com.

Maybe I'll get lucky and come home with a gun!
Why not? My Defensive Tactics skills need a little practice.

Yeah I'm going to take $2000.00 in cash to a remote area to buy something that is to good to be true from someone I don't know from a hole in the wall, unarmed no less. Yeah that's smart.
If the seller is legit, they'd take a bank check or postal money order.

The hell with bringing a gun!
I am gonna start buying Iphones FTF off of Craigslist.com.

Maybe I'll get lucky and come home with a gun!
Why not? My Defensive Tactics skills need a little practice.

Dude, you show up for a FTF and I didn't know you - (especially if you used 'the look') I'd certainly pretend that I wasn't really there.

(^_^)

Mark056 and Rob Boudrie: The person I'm referring to is a man in his late 60's/early 70's with no history in military, LEO, or competitive shooting. He went right to the police and went through the licensing process himself (no lawyer or anything like that).

What's frustrating about the whole thing is that they make it so that it's almost impossible for an everyday citizen to protect themselves in their home, because most either can't afford to pay out all the cash or like you said, they don't know the system in and out.

But about the Craig's List stuff, these people must have at least guessed that they were getting "hot" merchandise. What's that saying, something like "You can't swindle an honest person"?

Hey guys, I'm running low on fuel and we all know how bad gas prices are right now...cant even feed my little girl..but its ok since shes in the hospital the next state over and the nurses feed her and my expectant wife...oh sorry...yeh gas is insane? How are you surviving right now? I like those shoes you are wearing, you look like a smart cookie who knows a good deal when he sees one you know what I mean? But yeah the gas stuff is out of control right now, hey listen I've got these speakers in my truck that have to go back to the warehouse but with the cost of gas I'd rather just dump em ya know? Put some food on the table or something? You live closeby you want some speakers at all? They are in the back of my van...

Back
Top Bottom