Bright line near base on 5.56 after resizing

Is the ring near the base a sign of imminent head separation? This is once fired (by me) 5.56, lake city 12-14.

SeDHF7z.jpg

I have shot other cases which had a "blurrier" version of this going on, but this kind of "hard" looking line makes me more concerned.

This is after full length resizing. The cases were shot out of an AR-15.

head seperation.JPG you can see in this picture where the sizing die creats a line much like yours and the "ring" just above where this case would most likely seperate if fired again

View attachment 120590 you can see in this picture where the sizing die creats a line much like yours and the "ring" just above where this case would most likely seperate if fired again

Interesting. So the line caused by the sizing seems to be more of a sharper line thats parallel to the rim while the potential case head separation is more of a fuzzy line going up at more of an angle. Is that typical?

Interesting. So the line caused by the sizing seems to be more of a sharper line thats parallel to the rim while the potential case head separation is more of a fuzzy line going up at more of an angle. Is that typical?

I dont know if its typical or not. I have only had 2 case head seperations. Both with 8mm mauser. They both split just above the "die" mark. It was used brass so I dont know how many loads it had on them. My Brand new brass has been through 5 neck size reloads and no signs?

The line is larger than below before you resize the case. After sizing, it's just the witness mark that you did in fact resize. That's where the brass is appreciably thinner than below. Case separation wannabee lines are usually almost white and are in sharp contrast.

Back
Top Bottom