• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bridgford foods - shelf stable sandwiches?

Bridgford Food makes shelf stable sandwiches in a variety of flavors. Does anyone have any experience with them? How are they? and do they bridge the gap in the survival diet?

EX:
Bridgford’s Shelf-Stable Ready-To-Eat Sandwich Line was originally developed for the United States Military as combat feeding rations for the “Troops On-The-Go”. The military required a product that had a three-year shelf-life, and would taste as great on day 1,095 as it did on day 1. The sandwiches were originally tested with the United States Marines during an operation in Fallujah, and they scored exceptionally well, receiving one of the highest acceptance scores ever for a new product. Currently, the product is incorporated into the “First Strike Ration” which is provided to our military’s Special Operations Forces when they carry out missions in a “Hot Zone”. Shelf-Stable Ready-To-Eat Sandwiches that contain meat are produced under USDA inspection, and are also inspected by AMS, FDA, NCDA, VETCOM, and other agencies. All meat and poultry used in producing the sandwiches is USDA inspected. The sandwiches are heated to a minimum internal temperature of 190 degrees F, and are manufactured under the auspices of a HACCP program.

Bridgford Ready-To-Eat Sandwiches weigh from 2.5 to 3.5 ounces, depending on the sandwich variety. No refrigeration is required, and the product has a three-year shelf-life from the date of manufacture if maintained at 80 degrees F or less. The Sandwiches can actually be stored at 100 degrees F for up to six months. The product’s shelf-life is achieved through a combination of packaging and formulation. Ready-To-Eat Sandwiches are a great food solution for the outdoor enthusiast, and are perfect for backpacking, camping, hiking, boating, fishing, etc. They are also a great addition to household emergency kits, as well as for disaster preparedness or disaster relief efforts.

We currently offer eleven Ready-To-Eat Sandwich varieties, five of which (BBQ Beef, BBQ Chicken, Italian Style, Pepperoni Stick, and Bacon in Cheese Flavored Bread) are offered in either a 48-count loose pack case or a 12-4 count case.. The Cinnamon Bun, Filled French Toast, Apple Turnover, Sweet & Sour Soy, Whole Wheat Flat Bread and White Flat Bread are available in 48-count loose pack cases only. On average, the sandwiches provide 300 calories and 10 to 12 grams of protein per serving.

Ordered a few, mostly breakfast ones as the more lunch flavored ones are dis-interesting flavors, however the wife and I will split review bacon and cheese.

Will post on my blog FoodStorageCooking.com and will update here.

Bridgford Ready to Eat Cinnamon Bun

Quantity : Single Bun

$2.50 1 Unknown $2.50
Bridgford Ready to Eat Filled French Toast Sandwich

Quantity : Single Sandwich

$2.95 1 Unknown $2.95
Bridgford Ready to Eat Apple Turnover Sandwich

$2.95 1 Unknown $2.95
Bridgford Ready to Eat Cherry Turnover Sandwich

$2.95 1 106 $2.95
Bridgford Ready to Eat Bacon in Cheese-Flavored Bread Sandwich

$3.50 1 Unknown $3.50
Subtotal: $14.85
Shipping: $6.83
Tax: $0.00
Total: $21.68

I have had some, they are very convenient, I can stick one in my briefcase or glove box and eat whenever. The bread is the best part and the filling seems kind of skimpy. These are small, in fact I have added some to my economy MREs which makes quite a good meal. They are a bit dry so don't eat without something to drink. Flavor is good enough, striking has that MRE after taste. Pretty good product, just remember it is small and needs something extra to make it even a small meal.

My order came in yesterday... had the french toast one for breakfast. Not bad... kinda like a a pop tart made of stale rubbery bread. But actually edible. Very sugary though, dog got the last bite of mine. I'd probably opt for pop-tarts camping though personally.

They pare packed in a .mil wannabe plastic pouch with tear points.

I'll post thoughts on others as I eat them.

Have a box in my truck. I think they are ham and cheese. Not too bad. Wouldnt want to live on them but for a quick and easy food to throw in your pack they work.

Back
Top Bottom