• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bridgeport CT Police detain Open Carrier - Open Carrier makes $30,000

There is no such "threatening with a firearm" charge in MA. Either someone is committing ADW or they didn't. I mean there are probably other catch all charges like disorderly conduct or other bullshit, but the reality is if the responding cop is a douche its going to be a suitability problem and probably not a real arrest unless they make something up.

-Mike
"disturbing the peace"
"resisting arrest"
There's your made up crap.

Too true Don, CT relies on Electric Boat, Sikorsky and Pratt & Whitney. Unfortunately they seem to keep reducing production and work force, although I think EB just got awarded some more submarine builds that will keep them busy for 2-3 years or so.

As far as the new statute allowing police to ask to see your pistol permit if they have reasonable suspicion that you committed a crime I still don't see what sense that makes. If you are suspected of committing a crime, they should just question you about that and leave your pistol permit out of it. If you are suspected of committing a crime with a gun what good will verifying your permit do? Just deal with the actual crime at hand. If you are a litterbug who happens to be OCing what difference does it make if you have a valid pistol permit as far as the littering offense goes?

L
you don't live in CT because you hate taxes. [wink]

they needed to be held accountable, what would your solution have been? maybe they should have just kicked the shit out of him for exercising his rights instead?
my resolution would be demotions, taking the money out of the police budget and a public statement by the chief that "they acted stupidly" and permit holders are more than welcome to exercise their rights in any legal manner with no harrasment from the police. This would be a start.

Lmy resolution would be demotions, taking the money out of the police budget and a public statement by the chief that "they acted stupidly" and permit holders are more than welcome to exercise their rights in any legal manner with no harrasment from the police. This would be a start.

push for it, contact the PD or city government.

This guy got "unarrested" when the PD discovered its mistake, sued them later, and collected.

I'll bet if he spent his time at the station yelling about how he was going to sue them that they would have found something to charge him with.
This,
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
Sun Tzu

Too true Don, CT relies on Electric Boat, Sikorsky and Pratt & Whitney. Unfortunately they seem to keep reducing production and work force, although I think EB just got awarded some more submarine builds that will keep them busy for 2-3 years or so.

As far as the new statute allowing police to ask to see your pistol permit if they have reasonable suspicion that you committed a crime I still don't see what sense that makes. If you are suspected of committing a crime, they should just question you about that and leave your pistol permit out of it. If you are suspected of committing a crime with a gun what good will verifying your permit do? Just deal with the actual crime at hand. If you are a litterbug who happens to be OCing what difference does it make if you have a valid pistol permit as far as the littering offense goes?

Carl,

Southeastern CT has 2 economic engines. 1) Pfizer - great white collar jobs 2) Electric Boat - great blue collar jobs. I'm talking about welders at the top of their field pulling down a 90K/yr salary and with OT making over 150K/yr.

Pfizer is doing anything they can to get out of Groton ASAP. They are moving their R&D to university centers because its much cheaper to pay doctoral candidates and post-docs to do the work than it is to provide real employment to employees. Of course this means that Pfizer has been expanding its presence in Cambridge while pulling out of CT.

Electric Boat is building one sub every 2 years. Half of what it used to build. Ironically, they bought out Pfizer's abandoned space in New London.

United Technologies is obviously still here. But they would leave if they could
1) Sikorsky in stratford
2) Prat Whitney in East Hartford and Middletown
3) Hamilton Sunstrand in Windsor Locks
4) Otis Elevators in farmington.

Bayer abandoned its ENORMOUS campus in West haven and Orange. Yale bought it. Now as a research center it employs PhD candidates and post docs to do grant work. (i.e. no real jobs) and since Yale is a non-profit despite having $35 billion in the bank, it doesn't pay property taxes on what was previously the largest item on both West Haven and Orange's grand lists.

And finally - GE. Enough said.

Don

Carl,

The new statute is great for us for two reasons:

1) it accepts that concealment is not required by law
2) it codifys the need for RAS.

prior to that cops did what they wanted and OCers who were asked for ID had no civil recourse.

The last instance of an OCer refusing to be ID'd was in West Haven a couple of years ago. He was arrested and charged with interfering with an officer. Charges were dropped, but he never filed any civil action because there wasn't any clear basis.

Now there is. Its wonderful.

Also. Remember, CT has now progressed from the question of whether OC is legal. That's settled. The question is now whether you need to show ID.

Don

http://articles.courant.com/2013-06...03_1_beach-boardwalk-34-year-old-man-officers

http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20130710/NEWS/307109930

I agree Don, it is definitely a good thing as it removes a lot of legal ambiguity, didn't mean to sound negative. I guess I just wish it didn't allow them to ask to see your pistol permit because you accidentally dropped your egg McMuffin wrapper but in light of the positives that's not a big deal I guess.

I didn't list Pfizer because I know they are doing everything possible to screw CT and they will be gone soon. After all that crap they pulled forcing people out of their homes all those years ago for that land they never even used.

I used to work for MetLife when they had a large office in Hartford. When they left for Bloomfield I left for another job. Not long ago MetLife bailed on CT too and most of the people I worked with that went to Bloomfield are now struggling to find a decent job, some have given up and retired early or left the state, etc. It's bad, really bad.

Carl,
I worked at Pfizer for 6 years. I heard all kinds of stories about the "old" Pfizer, where you were treated with respect, and even a secretary could retire a millionaire based on the ever increasing value of their stock.

Now everyone is a contractor.

They completely abuse the H1B visa program by bringing in Indians to replace locals who can do the work, just not for $30/hr. From Hank McKinnel in the 90s, it started going south. The company was finished off by Jeff Kindler (previously General Counsel for GE) after that.

I'm not bitter, I knew what I was getting into. They gave and also received not one bit of loyalty. I made good money and with all the work I was doing with people in Asia and India, I made my own schedule. As they are shutting down their R&D site in Groton, they are expanding in Cambridge and New Haven, where they built a building right next to Yale New Haven Hospital. Where there are plenty of Post Docs willing to work for $25/hr + no benefits.

I'm a big believer in free markets. They can do business however they choose. Free markets took us out of CT to Boston, where I do Life Science IT and my wife is a clinical site lead for a large biotech. The people are nice, the opportunities are huge and you can legally get around most of the gun laws if you are willing to throw some money at it. I know its fashionable to bash MA but I like it here despite the harm that Government is doing.

I am all for free markets too but I also am a loyal person, often to a fault. Ultimately I blame the CT politicians for the demise of this state. Companies will not leave if the business environment is good. Tax payers will not leave if they have good jobs and can maintain a good standard of living. CT has made all of that increasingly difficult so I don't blame companies or people for leaving. Heck, I am looking to get out in the next few years myself.

Back
Top Bottom