• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brick and mortar store that sells 80% lowers?

I'm in central mass and looking for actual brick and mortar stores that sell 80% lower receivers. I want to walk in, pay in cash, walk out. I'm NOT interested in buying online due to delays in shipping and paper trails. Willing to go as far north as NH and VT, and southern ME and pretty much nowhere south of the people's republic of Massachusetts, unless the deal is simply too good to pass up.

I want to get several AR15 receivers, and maybe one or two AR10/308, with bonus points for P80 frames but I could live without. These will act nicely as paperweights until I can move out of this state and build them in a state that respects my rights. But with stories of state police and fusion centers illegally tracking purchases from FFLs and keeping tabs on licensed people, I'd simply prefer to just have a cash transaction without any mail or paper trail so some govt desk jockey can't abuse their authority.

I can't imagine anything other than a LGS selling these, and on special-order if that. Regardless, if someone walks through the door of a gun store, they want to buy a working gun. So I would say the chance of paying cash in-person is slim-to-none.

By ordering online, I don't see any potential liability for a paper trail. You're not ordering anything illegal. It's not even a firearm until you do something to it. This has nothing to do with FFL or licensure. 80% receivers sell well. I think you're in the safe.

Dude, don't be so paranoid. I've bought quite a few online with no hassle. These guys are awesome to do business with.
I sleep quite well at night not worrying about an atf raid.

I've never seen one at a shop, ever. Plus you need other parts too.

If anonymity is truly what you seek, ask someone to order it for you, but unfortunately it won't be quick. There are many 80% to choose from, as a jigs if you don't have a mill.

I can't imagine anything other than a LGS selling these, and on special-order if that. Regardless, if someone walks through the door of a gun store, they want to buy a working gun. So I would say the chance of paying cash in-person is slim-to-none.

By ordering online, I don't see any potential liability for a paper trail. You're not ordering anything illegal. It's not even a firearm until you do something to it. This has nothing to do with FFL or licensure. 80% receivers sell well. I think you're in the safe.

The paper trail from ordering online is in the invoice, and your bank and card statement. Not only is it a paper trail, but the information of paying with a credit card and having it billed and shipped to the same address is present as well. There's nothing even remotely anonymous about online ordering. So before a subpoena even hits your mailbox you have 3 entities (the store, your bank/card carrier, and the mail service) which have a record of your purchases and address.

And of course nothing is illegal here, but why get complacent? RI just banned "ghost guns" wholesale based off the flawed press statement of a cop whose department wouldn't even confirm the gun used in a homicide was either 3D printed or an unfinished frame. And we have pending litigation in ME where a disgruntled statie revealed the fusion center he worked at was illegally tracking people who had lawfully purchased firearms and ammunition, viz., a registry. I'm not trying to break the law, but the law is subject to change courtesy of people like Healey and Decker, and I am to beat the clock before they will legislation into existence that will just get rubber stamped by the lower courts.

The paper trail from ordering online is in the invoice, and your bank and card statement. Not only is it a paper trail, but the information of paying with a credit card and having it billed and shipped to the same address is present as well. There's nothing even remotely anonymous about online ordering. So before a subpoena even hits your mailbox you have 3 entities (the store, your bank/card carrier, and the mail service) which have a record of your purchases and address.

And of course nothing is illegal here, but why get complacent? RI just banned "ghost guns" wholesale based off the flawed press statement of a cop whose department wouldn't even confirm the gun used in a homicide was either 3D printed or an unfinished frame. And we have pending litigation in ME where a disgruntled statie revealed the fusion center he worked at was illegally tracking people who had lawfully purchased firearms and ammunition, viz., a registry. I'm not trying to break the law, but the law is subject to change courtesy of people like Healey and Decker, and I am to beat the clock before they will legislation into existence that will just get rubber stamped by the lower courts.

the reality is there are so many 80% bought it probably exceeds the number of guns at this point. People buy just because, people buy to re-sell, people buy and forget they have them. A lot of places sell 80% in packs of 5 or 10, sometimes more. Those plastic crap, I bet those were molded out in some spectacular number. If there is a surprise, it's that not so many appear at the crime scenes (probably because they are more expensive than black market guns)

the reality is there are so many 80% bought it probably exceeds the number of guns at this point. People buy just because, people buy to re-sell, people buy and forget they have them. A lot of places sell 80% in packs of 5 or 10, sometimes more. Those plastic crap, I bet those were molded out in some spectacular number. If there is a surprise, it's that not so many appear at the crime scenes (probably because they are more expensive than black market guns)
It doesn't matter if they've been used in zero crimes or not, though. Idiot politicians will ban them anyway, and for good measure they'll also send you to the proctologist to purchase the upper, lower parts kits, and the cringey decals and cerakote tins just because they can.

We've seen them go after 3D prints, hilariously. Not so hilarious, they've gone after ammunition in CA with background checks and soon to be elsewhere. It only takes one person with the right leverage to convince the atf that 80% completed receivers are firearms and then ban them, too. The industry and supporters of 2A should be feverishly trying to put the means of manufacture and possession of firearms and ammunition out of the hands of just FFLs and make it so decentralized that gun control becomes truly moot.

News flash: if you buy anything from a gun store, even a paper weight, there's a paper trail. Gun stores maintain an inventory. Even if you pay cash, a gun store may give you a receipt. If they issue a receipt, they'll probably keep a copy or a record on their end. If the cops show up with a warrant to demand to know who a gun store sold paper weights to, the warrant would likely include the store's security camera recordings as well as the store's receipts, sales books, everything.

I was in my LGS earlier this year, before the pandemic, and a couple guys asked the shop owner if he sold paper weights. The shop owner basically said "why would I do that when the purpose of a paper weight is to avoid any paperwork?"

Even a face-to-face transaction isn't totally sanitized. IP addresses, phone numbers, names, locations. Unless you're doing all your transactions with a fake name, a burner phone, and some sort of way of protecting your IP address (I know its possible but I'm fuzzy on the details). Even then, cops can get warrants for text and call logs and introduce those as evidence. Oh, and also location detection warrants - if they really want to "get" someone.

But how long are security camera recordings kept? Phone location records aren’t a concern either as they likely don’t reveal what that trip was for.

But how long are security camera recordings kept? Phone location records aren’t a concern either as they likely don’t reveal what that trip was for.

(1) Security camera footage depends on a lot of variables. Sometimes the cameras record over old footage. Others can go back years. I would bet that a gun store would err more on the side of covering their asses with good recordings because of the liability involved and how controlled of an industry retail gun sales are. However, it'll depend and there's no one answer.

(2) If someone's actively looking for or watching the OP, then phone location records are perfect for the cops. Like, they suspect he possesses contraband and they want to follow him. Or, another person turns King's evidence (cops a plea, agrees to be a snitch, etc.) and then there's a setup deal where the cops monitor his phone location records, then get a warrant to search wherever he went. Again, this assumes that paper weights are illegal because that's what OP is concerned about.

California has millions of actual firearms in existence that technically violate their new moonbat decrees. People are not turning in jack shit and I am hearing first-hand accounts of civs and cops enjoying a day at the range with no F's given regarding the new edicts. Of course these are 'red' towns with lower population density. No raiding of Joe Public's gun cabinet unless there's a ton of other offenses, which can happen almost anywhere.

I highly doubt we'll be raided for possible 80% possession. Chunks of metal can be bought and sold at will, so you have no need to prove a sale or gift of such item. There's always the unfortunate canoeing accident too.

tumblr_phsmujl5sy1vih7pio1_400.jpg

Oh wait, this might be more accurate for us:

s-s-fat-guy_o_166459.jpg

NFW will they be going after individuals for 80% stuff. The more likely scenario is that they will work on cutting off the sources. It's OK to take of the tinfoil for this topic, or at least loosen it up a bit.

California has millions of actual firearms in existence that technically violate their new moonbat decrees. People are not turning in jack shit and I am hearing first-hand accounts of civs and cops enjoying a day at the range with no F's given regarding the new edicts. Of course these are 'red' towns with lower population density. No raiding of Joe Public's gun cabinet unless there's a ton of other offenses, which can happen almost anywhere.

I highly doubt we'll be raided for possible 80% possession. Chunks of metal can be bought and sold at will, so you have no need to prove a sale or gift of such item. There's always the unfortunate canoeing accident too.

Oh wait, this might be more accurate for us:

NFW will they be going after individuals for 80% stuff. The more likely scenario is that they will work on cutting off the sources. It's OK to take of the tinfoil for this topic, or at least loosen it up a bit.

What realistically will happen is someone gets on the cops' radar for some other crime and then if that state or the Feds have a ban or restrictions on paper weights and the cops find paper weights in addition to other contraband, the 80% violation charge would be a tack-on charge. Unless someone's flagrantly violating a hypothetical state or Federal law, like how Randy Weaver "was not" setup by the Feds into buying machine guns:

Agents Deny Weaver Was Set Up Feds Say Separatist Brought Trouble On Himself

Barring a Randy Weaver situation, just keep your noses (literally) clean of contraband.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the store. The smaller shops are likely to have off the shelf DVR setups or something put together by the computer guy they know (the local auto repair place has a nice BlueIris system that was done by someone the owner knows). With modern large cheap multi-TB drives it can be weeks or even months - but not forever

Move up the chain and you're dealing with a corporate IT department. Buy from a big chain and they might have many months worth of video. They will also have a setup making it very easy to search on product, look up the exact register/camera/time by the receipt or product and go straight to the video. Some even overlay the text from the register tape on the video - not specifically for tracking who bought that burner phone (a much more common purchase people want to anonymize), but to make sure the clerk is ringing up everything and not feeding free merchandise to a co-conspirator posing as a customer.

The risk is if the govt decides these were retroactively illegal, orders them turned in to avoid prosecution, and then uses records to come a knockin on doors of those who have not surrendered the item. Just look at the Glock full auto units (though a bit different, as these were clearly illegal from day 1).

And to those who think some govt minion can't wake up some day and move the 80% to 40% - just look at the history of Maadi-Griffin and what happened when they told the ATF their interpretation of what a complete gun is was "incorrect".

Last edited:
so assuming an 80% lower appears out of thin air with no traceability, can someone tell me where all the rest of the components come from? Is there a Gun Bunny that delivers them when I am sleeping.

Buffer tube, trigger group,bolt, barrel ..... is there a underground railroad for those parts?

I'm in central mass and looking for actual brick and mortar stores that sell 80% lower receivers. I want to walk in, pay in cash, walk out. I'm NOT interested in buying online due to delays in shipping and paper trails. Willing to go as far north as NH and VT, and southern ME and pretty much nowhere south of the people's republic of Massachusetts, unless the deal is simply too good to pass up.

I want to get several AR15 receivers, and maybe one or two AR10/308, with bonus points for P80 frames but I could live without. These will act nicely as paperweights until I can move out of this state and build them in a state that respects my rights. But with stories of state police and fusion centers illegally tracking purchases from FFLs and keeping tabs on licensed people, I'd simply prefer to just have a cash transaction without any mail or paper trail so some govt desk jockey can't abuse their authority.

Dude, you are already toast! You posted your intent here in a public forum. A known conservative forum. You’ve been identified as a USA lover - an enemy of the State. Herr Healy already secured the warrant and your internet and phone history have already been downloaded. Everything you do now is being recorded. Don’t stand too close to the window naked. See that Roto Rooter van parked across the street? They ain’t there to clean out your septic. Enjoy your stay in the State Pen. Don’t worry about conjugal visits, Maura’s got that lined up for you.

Dr. Paranoidetto

Last I knew, 5D was based in MA somewhere. Maybe you could buy direct from them?
Unfortunately they moved to southern California (I actually emailed them to ask about curbside pickup), for whatever reason. If I didn't care so much about doing a cash transaction they'd be my first choice though.

With cash. Since we'll all be forced to wear masks indoors by the promotors, you'll be semi-anonymous, too. At this point FCAC says we're going ahead with our show August 21 in Concord, NH.
That's the idea. I'm just a dude who is conscious of the need for wearing a mask and the need to practice social distancing, trying to buy some paper weights. Unfortunately my card doesn't work and I can only pay in cash, oh well.

If you're already so interesting to the authorities that they are scrutinizing your online order history, then they are going to be tracking you to the shop you think you're anonymously visiting and will know what you had for lunch that day too.

That's the idea. I'm just a dude who is conscious of the need for wearing a mask and the need to practice social distancing, trying to buy some paper weights. Unfortunately my card doesn't work and I can only pay in cash, oh well.

Not that I would do such a thing, but take your cash, go to Walmart, purchase a loadable Visa/MC. The card cost under $5.00 and put whatever amount you feel you need. Go online and use it to purchase your "paper weight". If in a hurry, put enough extra money on card for next day or two day shipping to your house.

Oh Crap, Mrs. a73elkyss might just be reading my fiction suggestion. Never mind anything I said, I'm off my meds.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom