• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brian Aitkens interview - A must read

http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/23/m...-prison-life-becoming-a-libertarian-activist/

On Jail:
“I just stayed to myself for the most part. Any altercation that would have happened, I just tried to diffuse by just playing it off, but sometimes it just upset people even more,” he says. “A lot of these guys don’t have a sense of humor, especially ones who were being initiated into gangs while they were incarcerated so they would have to do something.”

On Politics:
Aitken never thought of himself as a libertarian, but two years in the clutches of the state system has changed him completely. Before the arrest, the young, apolitical entrepreneur was on his way to a successful career in digital marketing.

“I never considered myself a person who is really interested in politics,” Aitken says. “But after all this happened I am definitely a hardcore libertarian now.”

Legal Future:
Although he’s technically free, the legal battles are far from over. Since Christie did not grant a full pardon, Aitken is still legally considered an ex-con, and he plans to appeal his case to the Supreme Court if need be.

On his son:
“It was such a waste,” Aitken says of the agonizing months he spent fighting the court system, pleading his innocence and sitting behind bars. “I don’t know how I get the two years back. All the money, all the time that’s been spent. I lost custody of my son over this. How does he ever get his father back? He doesn’t. You don’t get any of these things back.”

It looks like he lost all custody over this. Given a custody dispute started this whole thing off, I seriously doubt his ex wife is just going to call a do over and let him have any custody back. If there is another man in her life, Aitkens may find it hard ever getting custody back if enough time goes by. He would likely have to wait until he is exonerated before pursuing custody and that means another 2+ years. His kid will have aged at least 6-8 years from the beginning of the ordeal until the time that any custody decision can be reached. And that is assuming the custody decision doesn't need to be appealed. [sad2]

So many lessons can be learned from this man's misfortune. Best wishes to him and God speed.

His kid will have aged at least 6-8 years from the beginning of the ordeal until the time that any custody decision can be reached. And that is assuming the custody decision doesn't need to be appealed.

It is also assuming he can afford competent counsel.

"A wise man learns from the mistakes of others, a fool from his own."

All too many people are not recognizing how important it is that we change the laws before we find ourselves in his place.

We've allowed reams of laws to hit the books under the assumption that "they will only enforced against the bad guys." Not good enough... We are the "bad guys" according to most progressives and politicians.

"A wise man learns from the mistakes of others, a fool from his own."

All too many people are not recognizing how important it is that we change the laws before we find ourselves in his place.

We've allowed reams of laws to hit the books under the assumption that "they will only enforced against the bad guys." Not good enough... We are the "bad guys" according to most progressives and politicians.

EXACTLY,For way too long us gunowners and 2A supporters ( along with the rest of the amendments ) have been looked upon as criminals by Democrats and many LE agents. We have been lumped in with real criminals. There are even many Republican folks that just don't want to be bothered by " those gun nuts " because firearms are to controversial in their eyes. Granted we have made some progress with the recent supreme court decisions, but for too long the media and government has sought to portray us as a bunch of crazies outside the mainstream thought process. This has got to stop, it is fracturing this country. The millions of us gun owners have taken enough abuse and the other side needs to be reminded that when you strip rights away from one group of people, you are also stripping your own rights away, even if you don't have an interest in the sport of shooting or collecting of firearms, that is one more right that is gone.

I'm guilty of not giving a F because I intend to get of MA and live in a free state. But to say oh that's NJ/IL/CA/etc they are a bunch of commies doesn't make it any better here. How many bogus gun law violations has MA pursued?
New Jersey = Amerika

Makes NYC look like Arizona

I'm guilty of not giving a F because I intend to get of MA and live in a free state. But to say oh that's NJ/IL/CA/etc they are a bunch of commies doesn't make it any better here. How many bogus gun law violations has MA pursued?

A lot, but the "prosecutorial tenor" in NY/NJ is a lot worse with basic firearms offenses. Having a gun illegally in NY/NJ is like one step short of murdering someone in the eyes of their f**ked up justice systems in those two states. Both of these states have laws barring illegal possession which make MA's laws look like "freedom candy land" in comparison.

If Aitkens was prosecuted in MA, he would have spent a lot less time in jail overall, IMO, even if convicted. I realize that's still 110% obnoxious, but it certainly makes MA look somewhat less retarded compared to those two gems.

CA and IL, btw, at least for gun types not banned, are "unloaded possession free by default" and Aitkens likely would not have been locked up at all in either of those states. (save for possibly in Chicago). If he had just basic stuff in his vehicle he would have never even been arrested in either state.

-Mike

Last edited:
Aitken never thought of himself as a libertarian, but two years in the clutches of the state system has changed him completely. Before the arrest, the young, apolitical entrepreneur was on his way to a successful career in digital marketing.

“I never considered myself a person who is really interested in politics,” Aitken says. “But after all this happened I am definitely a hardcore libertarian now.”

Funny how getting porked over will do that to you.

It's examples like this why I think that if this country is ever to regain it's soul back (and regain liberty) - a whole bunch more of it's citizens need to get seriously buttforked by the the various state and federal governments.

Worked for me - and apparently it worked for him.

A lot, but the "prosecutorial tenor" in NY/NJ is a lot worse with basic firearms offenses. Having a gun illegally in NY/NJ is like one step short of murdering someone in the eyes of their f**ked up justice systems in those two states. Both of these states have laws barring illegal possession which make MA's laws look like "freedom candy land" in comparison.

It's so bad that the Nassau County, NY DA's office prohibits their assistant DA's from applying for any firearms license.

My guess is that Aitkens was offered a plea deal, and that the real offense for which he was sentenced so severely was failure to submit to the system and plead guilty.

My guess is that Aitkens was offered a plea deal, and that the real offense for which he was sentenced so severely was failure to submit to the system and plead guilty.

One of the many reasons I really wish plea-bargains didn't exist. Most people who take plea bargains later regret it.

It's so bad that the Nassau County, NY DA's office prohibits their assistant DA's from applying for any firearms license.

No, it was mandatory minimum sentencing. Which is just the hard place on the other side of the brick wall in order to get people to accept plea deals.

No, it was mandatory minimum sentencing. Which is just the hard place on the other side of the brick wall in order to get people to accept plea deals.
Just another way of saying the same thing :).

Back
Top Bottom