Breonna Taylor killed in her home by police home invasion?

I have family and lifetime friends who are LEO at fed, state, or local level. Believe me I get that they end up in bad situations and could use some protection. However, not one of them is a JBT and if they happen to be 2nd gen LEO, their dads weren't JBT's either. I just don't get the whole let's play Rambo + Call of Duty vs. civilians.
maybe they got picked on in school or something. I don’t get it either. Why not just join the military if this is the job you seek?
View attachment 359391
Same answer to both. While I am reasonably confident (used to be certain, but my oh my how times have changed) that many (used to be most but...) cops joined for altruistic reasons, the ones referred to in mountain's post and depicted in Igotid's all share one common characteristic. They're bullies. Bullies like weak victims that can't fight back. Bullies like the sense of power they have over those weaker than themselves. Bullies can't handle real resistance. Normally, punch a bully in the nose and they back off. In the case of bully cops it enrage them further and they use their power and authority to punish you for fighting back.

You'll very rarely (IMNSHO) see bullies volunteering to join the military, because first they'll have to survive basic training and beyond, then potentially get shot back at. Neither feeds their egos and need to be feared.

Way back when, I sold new cars, Toyotas. Had a customer, 5'7",maybe 165 soaking wet, told me he was a local cop. All pumped up because he had finally gotten on the force after applying at 3 or 4 different departments. Couldn't wait to get his brand new Supra out in the road and "tear it up" without having to worry about a ticket, and finally being able to get some payback on the "punk asses" from high school that used to give him a hard time. Once he got started talking it was like trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun. He really thought he was sane. I'm glad I only worked in that town and lived 30 minutes away.

Last edited:
Second, to prevent destruction of evidence. If the evidence is physical, such as a drug raid, and the goal is to get the drugs off the street, then surround the place with sirens and flashing lights and uniformed cops. Knock on the door, announce it's a warrant, get on the bullhorn, and wait... if all those drugs get flushed, then mission accomplished. Right?

I lived on St Boltoph St, Boston, so apre-July 68. Junkies hookers and a few 0 Fuc's Vietnam Vets. Before a drug raid the DPW would shutoff the sewer main @ 5am then the drug raid was on. Interesting times

7 People Shot at Louisville Protest Over the Death of Breonna Taylor
The protests in Kentucky were prompted by the shooting death of a black woman, who was killed when police entered her home in March.

Breonna Taylor was 'mutilated with bullet holes while in her underwear' says family attorney as protests in Louisville over her cop-shooting death continue
  • Taylor, 26, an aspiring nurse, was killed at night in her apartment on March 13
  • Louisville police shot more than 20 rounds of ammunition into the apartment
  • The police were hunting drug dealers and say they announced themselves first
  • Multiple neighbors say the officers neither knocked nor identified themselves
  • A judge had granted a no-knock warrant, it later emerged, allowing entry
  • Taylor's mother Tamika Palmer filed a suit against Louisville police on April 27
  • Protestors in Louisville for second night running demand justice for Taylor
  • Family attorney Benjamin Crump provided new details in an interview on Friday

I apologize if this is a dupe, I searched the name but came up empty. I'm not sure of the rules for linking to an article. Looks to me like a pretty clear case of the police invaded a person's home, resident's rightfully resisted, and an innocent person died.

It’s been two months since 26-year-old Breonna Taylor, a Louisville, Ky., EMT, was fatally shot by police officers during what has been described as a “botched execution of a warrant.” Now, Taylor’s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Louisville Metro Police Department and is being represented by the same attorney who has represented the families of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, and currently, Ahmaud Arbery. Both the family and attorney are now seeking more Black Lives Matter energy in the interest of justice for Breonna.

The Washington Post reports that civil rights attorney Ben Crump—who has been involved in a multitude of cases, including the aforementioned, where black people have been killed by police and by vigilantes—was hired Monday to represent Taylor’s family.

For those who are unfamiliar with the case of Breonna Taylor, she was shot to death in her apartment on March 13 after officers arrived to execute a search warrant for a suspected drug dealer who did not live at Taylor’s address and had actually already been arrested. Kenneth Walker, Taylor’s boyfriend, was at her apartment that night and shot at who he says he thought were people trying to break in. He said the officers didn’t announce themselves as police. The firefight that ensued after Walker fired a shot, hitting an officer in the leg, ended in police firing more than 20 shots into the apartment, eight of which hit Taylor and took her life. Walker, who is a registered gun owner, has been charged with first-degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer.

This is why we need ARs and 60 round PMags.

Nailed it in one sentence. This no-knock no-names bullshit never seems to involve cameras... I'm not surprised that they're charging the guy, just depressed by it. KY has incredibly broad castle doctrine and stand your ground laws (at least it did when I was living there) and a crowd of armed men kicking down your door in the middle of the night definitely doesn't leave much to question. I can't find much even from real media outlets, but was the warrant even for that address? Did the guy the cops were looking for even ever live there?

I also have got to wonder at this point if engaging "Crump & Friends" hurts more than it helps?
I don't know, but Crump has a lot of experience in this area. If it was me, I probably would have hired him.

maybe they got picked on in school or something. I don’t get it either. Why not just join the military if this is the job you seek?
View attachment 359391
Because the military screens for the best. Police depts screen for known psychopaths. (plus a woman cannot pass a military PT test, whereas a female cop is merely a quota hire).

Incident report released

one gem : Taylor’s injuries - None

she died of 8 gunshot wounds just to remind you, from plainclothes police, that knocked and announced themselves, when they made the extra effort to get a ‘No Knock Warrant’

but don’t worry - there will be an investigation.......

Because the military screens for the best. Police depts screen for known psychopaths. (plus a woman cannot pass a military PT test, whereas a female cop is merely a quota hire).

Wait..... what? When I went through MEPS there was ZERO psych screening. Every police job Ive had has been a psychological anal probing. Multiple indexes, and interviews by psychologists.... and they pulled no punches probing my opinions on race or violence.

Radley Balko, who many of us here on NES follow and respect, opines that the warrant itself was illegal:
The no-knock warrant for Breonna Taylor was illegal
In other words, the police must show why each individual suspect may be a threat to dispose of evidence, flee or attack the police. They can’t simply state that all drug suspects present such a threat. As Stevens points out, the burden for the police here isn’t high. They just have to provide something.

The warrant for Taylor’s home doesn’t clear even that relatively low hurdle. In the portion asking permission for a “no-knock” entry, detective Joshua Jaynes writes, “Affiant is requesting a No-Knock entry to the premises due to the nature of how these drug traffickers operate. These drug traffickers have a history of attempting to destroy evidence, have cameras on the location that compromise Detectives once an approach to the dwelling is made, and a have [sic] history of fleeing from law enforcement.” (The Louisville Police Department did not return a request for comment.)

I support police and think events as of late are over the top, generally they are good people..

Now in these situations what bothers me is they prioritize prosecution over safety. Police can knock, say they have a warrant, and maybe it gives the suspects time to flush the drugs (probably doesn't provide time to destroy all such evidence though). But doing so prevents escalating a situation due to gut reaction and mistaken identity.

Even with a truly violent criminal, police routinely wait them out or at least wait until an opportune moment, ie once they know who the occupants really are and what their position is in the conflict. Unless they are trying to save somebody there is no reason to be kicking in doors from the start, should be illegal under any circumstance.

That sad thing is, examples like this are not unique. They are not even uncommon. Here are just a few examples.

Rhogena Nicholas - shot twice and killed by cops serving illegal no-knock warrant
Dennis Tuttle - shot nine times and killed by cops serving illegal no-knock warrant

Eugene Mallory - 80-year-old man shot six times and killed by police in own bed during illegal drug raid, lied about incident

Jose Guerena - shot twenty two times and killed in on home during police raid

Julian Betton - shot nine times in own home after plain clothed police broke down door without announcing and then lied about it

Aiyana Jones - 7-year-old girl shot in the head and killed in police raid of wrong apartment

Dustin Theoharis - shot 16 times while in his bed, was not the subject of any investigation

Ismael Lopez - shot and killed when police raided wrong house

Howard Bowe - shot and killed by police illegally executing a search warrant

David Hooks - shot in killed while police illegally executing a search warrant

Kathryn Johnston - 92-year-old woman shot and killed by police during illegal raid, cops then planted drugs

Andrew Cornish - shot and killed by police illegally executing a search warrant

There is no "rightfully resisted". She disobeyed the police and was punished for her insubordination. The police made it home safely. Nothing to see here.

There is "rightfully resisted". Established case law in just about every state allows you to resist if excessive force is being used. I'm not saying it typically works out well. But you can "rightfully resist".

**Edit***This is a living list. I'm going to keep adding to it as I think of things.

Here are the problems with modern policing in a nutshell.

1) Warrior Cop mentality - you exist to serve your community. Every person you meet is not a "threat". You can mentally move to condition yellow, but if it affects community safety or how you present yourself to the community, then Sorry you are fired.

2) Officer Safety is NOT the first priority. Public safety is. If you don't like it, then don't be a cop. If an action/protocol/standing order improves officer safety at the expense of public safety, then it should not exist.

In line with this philosophy
a. No no-knock warrant service.
b. No flash-bangs
c. No explosives
d. No armored vehicles
e. No SWAT teams
f. No BDUs.
g. No goggles
h. No ballistic helmets
i. No Area Fire - we saw this in Watertown. Cops firing into the darkness with no specific target in sight. This is a military tactic and is not appropriate for the police. They are responsible for every round they launch "downrange". No specific target, no squeeze the trigger.
j. No police dogs for crowd control.
k. No use of Less-Lethal as pain compliance devices - "move or I will tase you".
l. No intimidating people into turning off recording devices.
m. If you are issued a body-cam and are involved in a situation with a citizen and you have not turned the cam on. You are fired. You lose your pension.

The reality is that being a cop is less dangerous than being a bread truck driver.
usatoday.commost-dangerous-jobs-us-where-fatal-injuries-happen-most-often/38832907/

The other reality is that cops are most likely to die in traffic accidents in non pursuit situations.
Act accordingly. Wear a seat belt - something few cops seem to do.

This post sounds anti-cop. But I am very very pro-good-cop. My town is an example of this. Arlington cops seem to get it. They are polite and helpful and don't seem to bring more force to bear than is necessary. In fact, they are a bit too tolerant in my experience, spending 20 minutes trying to clear a protestor from the road before arresting him.

Good cop:

IMG_0784.JPG

Last edited:
I like your post ^^^^ but the idiot changing the tire should have been cited for not having the brains to pull into the parking lot or driveway that is ten feet to his immediate right instead of changing it where his ass is hanging out in traffic.
[smile]

I like your post ^^^^ but the idiot changing the tire should have been cited for not having the brains to pull into the parking lot or driveway that is ten feet to his immediate right instead of changing it where his ass is hanging out in traffic.
[smile]

Lol. No. Thats exactly the type of day lady bullshit law that puts police in the position of being dicks.

Lol. No. Thats exactly the type of day lady bullshit law that puts police in the position of being dicks.

Just joking.......any competent driver should know better to pull out of a traffic lane to change a tire.

I've seen people with an already shredded tire and destroyed rim that blew out on the highway who stopped where there was no safe spot to change the tire instead of going another hundred yards where they could pull off the road and have a guardrail blocking for them.

Bad drivers teaching new drivers.......the perpetual downward spiral.

I read this book when it came out circa 2013 and pulled a muscle in my neck from nodding along so much.

I just started re reading it. The beginning where they talk about how Daryl Gates essentially INVENTED SWAT is fascinating. He originally wanted SWAT to stand for something other than Special Weapons And Tactics. I'm not at home, so can't reference but it was very military and aggressive.

I started following Radley Balko when he was just some unknown part-time blogger writing under "The Agitator" moniker. I've followed him through his Nashville entertainment days and his "Songs from my living room" column (hello, The Cold Stares!).

Aside from great taste in music, he is a principled reporter, something that is all too rare these days.

The bodycam thing is simple; start of the shift it's empty, end of the shift you get paid for how many hours it's on. Turn it on at the start, turn it off at the end - you get paid the whole shift. Everyone needs a bodycam, if you are in uniform - that's part of it.

Can't agree more with if you have a cam and don't turn it on at an incident - fired and lose everything.

GM-Guy, the cost of data storage for bodycams is enormous already. They are supposed to turn it on every time they begin an encounter with the public.

I do agree with you but think practical constraints make that not possible. Though the way storage costs are constantly decreasing, we can't be more than 5 years from that being the case.

But think about it, do we really want that? Imagine if you are accused of a crime and they run facial recognition against every cops every working minute for the last several years to track your location. Yes, they already have cell phone and ezPass data (you don know that your ezPass is constantly being read, not just at tolls??), but for the Government to be able to search through thousands of cops millions of hours of video looking for a specific face it terrifying.

The tech exists.

You could take some safeguards by putting in place policies. For example, how long is camera data to be retained? You want it to be long enough so that if someone has a complaint, they can access it. But you don't want it to be so long that Government can at any point in the future use it for a fishing expedition.

**Edit***This is a living list. I'm going to keep adding to it as I think of things.

Here are the problems with modern policing in a nutshell.

1) Warrior Cop mentality - you exist to serve your community. Every person you meet is not a "threat". You can mentally move to condition yellow, but if it affects community safety or how you present yourself to the community, then Sorry you are fired.

2) Officer Safety is NOT the first priority. Public safety is. If you don't like it, then don't be a cop. If an action/protocol/standing order improves officer safety at the expense of public safety, then it should not exist.

In line with this philosophy
a. No no-knock warrant service.
b. No flash-bangs
c. No explosives
d. No armored vehicles
e. No SWAT teams
f. No BDUs.
g. No goggles
h. No ballistic helmets
i. No Area Fire - we saw this in Watertown. Cops firing into the darkness with no specific target in sight. This is a military tactic and is not appropriate for the police. They are responsible for every round they launch "downrange". No specific target, no squeeze the trigger.
j. No police dogs for crowd control.
k. No use of Less-Lethal as pain compliance devices - "move or I will tase you".
l. No intimidating people into turning off recording devices.
m. If you are issued a body-cam and are involved in a situation with a citizen and you have not turned the cam on. You are fired. You lose your pension.

The reality is that being a cop is less dangerous than being a bread truck driver.
usatoday.commost-dangerous-jobs-us-where-fatal-injuries-happen-most-often/38832907/

The other reality is that cops are most likely to die in traffic accidents in non pursuit situations.
Act accordingly. Wear a seat belt - something few cops seem to do.

This post sounds anti-cop. But I am very very pro-good-cop. My town is an example of this. Arlington cops seem to get it. They are polite and helpful and don't seem to bring more force to bear than is necessary. In fact, they are a bit too tolerant in my experience, spending 20 minutes trying to clear a protestor from the road before arresting him.

Good cop:

View attachment 364612

I can simplify.

Here is a list of all that is wrong:

no accountability
police unions and their agreements with cities and towns
internal investigations

let cops get sued and then they will figure out if it is worth losing their careers over killing someone for passing a fake $20 or selling a cigareete on the street

Back
Top Bottom