Breonna Taylor killed in her home by police home invasion?

hillman

NES Member
I apologize if this is a dupe, I searched the name but came up empty. I'm not sure of the rules for linking to an article. Looks to me like a pretty clear case of the police invaded a person's home, resident's rightfully resisted, and an innocent person died.

It’s been two months since 26-year-old Breonna Taylor, a Louisville, Ky., EMT, was fatally shot by police officers during what has been described as a “botched execution of a warrant.” Now, Taylor’s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Louisville Metro Police Department and is being represented by the same attorney who has represented the families of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, and currently, Ahmaud Arbery. Both the family and attorney are now seeking more Black Lives Matter energy in the interest of justice for Breonna.

The Washington Post reports that civil rights attorney Ben Crump—who has been involved in a multitude of cases, including the aforementioned, where black people have been killed by police and by vigilantes—was hired Monday to represent Taylor’s family.

For those who are unfamiliar with the case of Breonna Taylor, she was shot to death in her apartment on March 13 after officers arrived to execute a search warrant for a suspected drug dealer who did not live at Taylor’s address and had actually already been arrested. Kenneth Walker, Taylor’s boyfriend, was at her apartment that night and shot at who he says he thought were people trying to break in. He said the officers didn’t announce themselves as police. The firefight that ensued after Walker fired a shot, hitting an officer in the leg, ended in police firing more than 20 shots into the apartment, eight of which hit Taylor and took her life. Walker, who is a registered gun owner, has been charged with first-degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer.

Looks to me like a pretty clear case of the police invaded a person's home, resident's rightfully resisted, and an innocent person died.

Nailed it in one sentence. This no-knock no-names bullshit never seems to involve cameras... I'm not surprised that they're charging the guy, just depressed by it. KY has incredibly broad castle doctrine and stand your ground laws (at least it did when I was living there) and a crowd of armed men kicking down your door in the middle of the night definitely doesn't leave much to question. I can't find much even from real media outlets, but was the warrant even for that address? Did the guy the cops were looking for even ever live there?

I also have got to wonder at this point if engaging "Crump & Friends" hurts more than it helps?

Here we go again. Now Boodrie is gonna trot out his worn story again about the Framingham incident.

Nailed it in one sentence. This no-knock no-names bullshit never seems to involve cameras... I'm not surprised that they're charging the guy, just depressed by it. KY has incredibly broad castle doctrine and stand your ground laws (at least it did when I was living there) and a crowd of armed men kicking down your door in the middle of the night definitely doesn't leave much to question. I can't find much even from real media outlets, but was the warrant even for that address? Did the guy the cops were looking for even ever live there?

Seems the no-knock warrant did cover that address, and named Breonna Taylor as a subject;
Courier-Journal said:
Her address was listed in the search warrant, signed by a judge a day before Taylor's death, based on police's belief that one of the narcotics investigation suspects, Jamarcus Glover, used her home to receive mail, keep drugs or stash money earned from the sale of drugs, records show.

Detective Joshua Jaynes wrote in an affidavit summarizing the investigation that led to the warrant that Glover walked into Taylor's apartment one January afternoon and left with a "suspected USPS package in his right hand," then got into his car and drove to a "known drug house" on Muhammad Ali Boulevard.

And Jaynes verified through a U.S. postal inspector, according to the affidavit, that Glover had been receiving packages at her address.
. . .
Police were also authorized to search Taylor and to seize any drugs, money suspected to be from drug trafficking, weapons, paperwork that could record narcotics sales and any paper that could be proof of individuals living in the residence.
. . .
Attorneys representing Taylor's family say that Glover — who they say was the police's intended target of the night's warrants — was "located and identified by LMPD prior to the warrant being executed at Breonna’s home."

According to Glover's arrest citation on March 13, the "violation time" was listed as 12:40 a.m. with the arrest following at 2:43 a.m. That would put Glover in police's sight (ten miles away) at the same time officers entered Taylor's home.

Seems the no-knock warrant did cover that address, and named Breonna Taylor as a subject;

Huh. Lot of good info.

So it was a search warrant for her, and for the house, and the fact that the suspect was already in cuffs doesn't seem to have any bearing on whether the warrant should have been executed. The only question is whether the police yelled "police" before they entered or tried to enter. And this wasn't documented anywhere, so it's a he-said, they-said situation.

Remarkable after reading The Root and The Grio and CNN and MSNBC I was under the impression that the warrant was simply for the arrest of a man that couldn't have been there, and didn't live there. Now... why would I be left with that impression if the warrant WAS to search this womans home and her person, and both major media outlets and demographic-targeted media outlets were operating in good faith?

But you are forgetting to ask why a middle of the night no knock warrant was needed in the first place??

Had she engaged in voilence before.

Back in the "old days" before every PD had a swat team and was looking to use them, if a cop thought you were dangerous, they would swarm you when you came out of your home to get in your car. Or out of your place of work.

this no knock bull54it has to stop.

Botched? Sounds like a total f*** up. Too many innocents have been killed by the JBT no knocks.
this is one reason we don't permit no-knock warrants in NH. That and because there was an incident where IIRC 2 cops were shot serving a no knock. I'll let somebody else find & post it. It's too late for this.

But you are forgetting to ask why a middle of the night no knock warrant was needed in the first place??

Had she engaged in voilence before.

Back in the "old days" before every PD had a swat team and was looking to use them, if a cop thought you were dangerous, they would swarm you when you came out of your home to get in your car. Or out of your place of work.

this no knock bull54it has to stop.

Agreed 100%

Huh. Lot of good info.

So it was a search warrant for her, and for the house, and the fact that the suspect was already in cuffs doesn't seem to have any bearing on whether the warrant should have been executed. The only question is whether the police yelled "police" before they entered or tried to enter. And this wasn't documented anywhere, so it's a he-said, they-said situation.

Remarkable after reading The Root and The Grio and CNN and MSNBC I was under the impression that the warrant was simply for the arrest of a man that couldn't have been there, and didn't live there. Now... why would I be left with that impression if the warrant WAS to search this womans home and her person, and both major media outlets and demographic-targeted media outlets were operating in good faith?
News-Commentary=media outlet

Looks to me like a pretty clear case of the police invaded a person's home, resident's rightfully resisted, and an innocent person died.
There is no "rightfully resisted". She disobeyed the police and was punished for her insubordination. The police made it home safely. Nothing to see here.

Here we go again. Now Boodrie is gonna trot out his worn story again about the Framingham incident.

That was the one where the swat team was trying to catch a kid that was selling reefers at a nearby gas station, so they raided his step dad's house with grenades and assault weapons, handcuffed the dad and then shot him while he was laying on the floor?

Yeah, Boodrie is a real a**hole for mentioning that local and relevant case all the time.

this is one reason we don't permit no-knock warrants in NH. That and because there was an incident where IIRC 2 cops were shot serving a no knock. I'll let somebody else find & post it. It's too late for this.
Twigg, this is what you were referring to.

The only surprise here is KY DA didn't go full retard, charge Kenneth Walker with felony murder for triggering the police to shoot his unarmed girlfriend.

Without getting into all the details and what if’s of the story, IE it was the correct address and female suspect, it’s still just another tragic event that didn’t need to happen. That woman didn’t need to die, and there was really no imminent danger requiring a late night/early am raid on the house simply to secure some drugs or cash.

it is far safer for everybody and a much more reasonable approach to wait out non-violent subjects and just scoop them up in daylight in an open air takedown. Anybody good or bad is going to freak the F out when somebody comes through your door at 0400 in the dark screaming and yelling and seeing shadows of multiple intruders and rifles or whatever. Save it for the murderers or rapists.

Last edited:
Interesting outcome from the grand jury. I wish all cases slated for grand jury review actually made it there. Weird case all around.

I don't get the whole no knock thing. If you have a 100% clear case to grab some bad guy / gal, take them when they are in the open and you can clearly ID. I realize I'm over-simplifying but no-knock on US soil should be banned. I realize not everyone is like this, but if the cops happened to want me for some reason- just call or send a letter and ask me to come in- I will. Or show up in uniform and ring the bell / knock. I'll come along peacefully, shut my mouth, and call for a lawyer- every day, all day long. If someone busts through the door in the middle of the night and starts shooting my dogs that will definitely get there first, it's going to be a shit show. I don't understand how our country became so friggin' ridiculous.

I don't get the whole no knock thing.

What none of the media reports seem to mention is that while the warrant covered the individual captured elsewhere/earlier, it also was a search warrant for the premises AND the person of the woman who was killed.

The "logic" apparently that announcing yourself might inspire evidence being consumed, burned, flushed, etc - or even a hail of gunfire. Then again here we have a hail of gunfire. Maybe a "count of three before we take the door down" approach is in order. Certainly not whatever the hell appears to have happened here.

I don't get the whole no knock thing. If you have a 100% clear case to grab some bad guy / gal, take them when they are in the open and you can clearly ID. I realize I'm over-simplifying but no-knock on US soil should be banned. I realize not everyone is like this, but if the cops happened to want me for some reason- just call or send a letter and ask me to come in- I will. Or show up in uniform and ring the bell / knock. I'll come along peacefully, shut my mouth, and call for a lawyer- every day, all day long. If someone busts through the door in the middle of the night and starts shooting my dogs that will definitely get there first, it's going to be a shit show. I don't understand how our country became so friggin' ridiculous.

How else do departments justify armored vehicles, SWAT Teams and all their tactical gear? It's like municipal budgets... use it or lose it.

My town's department has 23 officers including reserve officers and they just finished building a fancy new garage for all their ATVs motorcycles and other toys.

There are two theories justifying no-knock raids, both relying on the element of surprise.

First, "officer safety". We've seen that no-knocks make everything more dangerous for everyone, including officers serving the warrant, so we can toss that one right out the window.

Second, to prevent destruction of evidence. If the evidence is physical, such as a drug raid, and the goal is to get the drugs off the street, then surround the place with sirens and flashing lights and uniformed cops. Knock on the door, announce it's a warrant, get on the bullhorn, and wait... if all those drugs get flushed, then mission accomplished. Right?

But the real reason is getting to play cowboy. The initial ATF raid at Waco was intended to spur support for the agency in Congress, so instead of making an arrest and serving a search warrant, they put on a made-for-TV raid instead. Thousands of unreported warrants are served throughout the country for much the same reason.

I have family and lifetime friends who are LEO at fed, state, or local level. Believe me I get that they end up in bad situations and could use some protection. However, not one of them is a JBT and if they happen to be 2nd gen LEO, their dads weren't JBT's either. I just don't get the whole let's play Rambo + Call of Duty vs. civilians.

Back
Top Bottom