• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bren Ten

Anyone here have a Bren Ten they can share pics? I'm gonna be hunting for one after Christmas I think. I've been saving up lol

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Start hunting for mags before you hunt for the gun.

Lots of guns out there without mags...

This^

Doranus & Dixon went bust because they couldn't get decent mags made for their guns.
Many were sold without mags, on the promise that the mags would be forthcoming, but it never happened.

Start hunting for mags before you hunt for the gun.

Lots of guns out there without mags...

I can get 2 mags for it no problem. I had the chance to get one in box last year with all the manuals and 2 mags with a signed pic of Don Johnson holding one from Miami Vice for 1800 sadly I didn't have that to spend at that time.

1800 is a good price. They go for a lot more on GB. I thought about it once but they are collectors guns not shooters. The slide integrity, particularly on the special forces light models, are simply too suspect (porousness issues) to shoot. Unfortunately, there were slide quality issues with D&D's vendor. Also, a lot of people Miami Viced them by having the slides refinished. Ultimately I decided there were simply too many unknowns and when you are spending $2000 you really want to know what you are getting. So make sure you do plenty of research on whatever one you look at buying.

It would be a safe queen/collector item for me. I wouldn't shoot it at all. I saw one on GB that was never fired went for close to 3 grand.....I wouldn't spend that......or would I lol.....

Anyone here have a Bren Ten they can share pics? I'm gonna be hunting for one after Christmas I think. I've been saving up lol

I wanted a Bren Ten too before I figured out the price and the fact that parts are not interchangeable and the design is different depending not just on who made it but when it was made.

If it's about owning a cool piece of gun history, GO FOR IT!

IF it's about getting a CZ clone that shoots 10mm (like what I want), I'd look for a tanfoglio that shoots 10mm.

Either way, good luck :)

Thank you everyone we will see what happens after Christmas! I'm hoping to own one within the new year. I know there is one out there for me somewhere!!

Pic of me at the range

600px-MV-BRE10-9.jpg

Does anyone know why the mags were such a problem to produce? I don't know much about 10mm but if you can design the rest of the gun, the mags seem like the easy part

Bren Ten is C&R as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the DJ photo above might be the 45 version. There were a few of the 45 "Marksman" versions made and IIRC they used one on the MV set.

A friend of mine worked for S&W in those days. They were approached by the Miami Vice people for guns to use in the show. S&W blew them off saying that they weren't interested. The show was a big hit and the Bren Ten became one of the most famous guns in the US at the time, despite the fact that you couldn't even buy one. S&W lost a lot of publicity with that move. You think they would have known better, Clint Eastwood sold more 44 mags for them than they could produce.

Semi related: When the Miami Vice movie was created, the prop people bought 4 SVI/Infinity pistols - two comp guns (unscoped) in 45 and two short 1911oids. They never really showed up in the movie (one of the short 1911s did, but only a glimpse, and you would not recognize the make if you weren't looking for that particular gun to show up). Fast forward a bit, and one of the comped 45's appears as a regular on the show Heroes.

Semi related: When the Miami Vice movie was created, the prop people bought 4 SVI/Infinity pistols - two comp guns (unscoped) in 45 and two short 1911oids. They never really showed up in the movie (one of the short 1911s did, but only a glimpse, and you would not recognize the make if you weren't looking for that particular gun to show up). Fast forward a bit, and one of the comped 45's appears as a regular on the show Heroes.

That movie had so many good guns: G36C's, an FN SLP, Barrett M99's, an RRA AR pistol, etc.

IIRC the short Infinity shows up twice: first time was in the hotel room and the second was in the airport hangar.

My understanding is that Vltor bought the engineering drawings but not enough demand to ever make it again. Anyone have or had both a Bren Ten and a Star Megastar? I had a Megastar and it was cool but way overbuilt. Compared to a Delta Elite, it was like an S&W 500 compared to a 38.

Bullseye is this yours??!!??

Bought it for my birthday in 2007, I sit and talk to it, load it, point it and put it back in the safe.
Damn thing shoots like the boss it is. I was able to get 4 more mags, 2 off GB and 2 at a gun show in, NY, YES Albany on my way back from a hockey tournament in Syracuse, think I paid 75 a piece for the mags that work!!

My understanding is that Vltor bought the engineering drawings but not enough demand to ever make it again. Anyone have or had both a Bren Ten and a Star Megastar? I had a Megastar and it was cool but way overbuilt. Compared to a Delta Elite, it was like an S&W 500 compared to a 38.

Yah, Last I checked Bren Ten under the VLTOR flag was dead.
It's sad but it's like a Delorean that way.

Sonny Crocket also carried a cut down 45 in an ankle holster. At the time I thought it was a Detonics. Could this have been one of the pistols you are referring to? Also, Don Johnson went on to star in another detective series with Cheech Marin (the name of the show escapes me) and carried a 1911 comp gun. Could this be one of the SVI/Infinity guns? I always wondered where they got the idea for him to carry a comp gun.

PS At the US IPSC Nationals one year we had a famous shooter from the west coast compete. Jim Zubienna (I hope I got that right) who played the assassin (Carlos) in one Miami Vice episode shot the match. He made a great move in one scene of this episode. When surprised at gun point after shooting a couple of people, he was told to raise his hands. He then assumed an unmistakable IPSC "Surrender" position and proceeded to blow away his adversary. Everbody got a laugh out of that scene as it was playing at the IPSC set up in the hotel lobby.

if you got money to burn buying a gun that is suspect in integrity, then go for it. I would buy something that has been shot or could be shot that will appreciate in value too, unless you are starting a miami vice museum. [laugh]

Sonny Crocket also carried a cut down 45 in an ankle holster. At the time I thought it was a Detonics. Could this have been one of the pistols you are referring to? Also, Don Johnson went on to star in another detective series with Cheech Marin (the name of the show escapes me) and carried a 1911 comp gun. Could this be one of the SVI/Infinity guns? I always wondered where they got the idea for him to carry a comp gun.

PS At the US IPSC Nationals one year we had a famous shooter from the west coast compete. Jim Zubienna (I hope I got that right) who played the assassin (Carlos) in one Miami Vice episode shot the match. He made a great move in one scene of this episode. When surprised at gun point after shooting a couple of people, he was told to raise his hands. He then assumed an unmistakable IPSC "Surrender" position and proceeded to blow away his adversary. Everbody got a laugh out of that scene as it was playing at the IPSC set up in the hotel lobby.

The other show was Nash Bridges. Here is a list of guns the characters carried in the show with photos. Lobe this site. (IMDB.com)

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Nash_Bridges

Well, then VLTOR has been blowing smoke up my ass all year.

According to this lady Katie at Vltor the project is still a go just haven't found a distributor yet.....here is the email I received back from her yesterday on the Bren Ten project.

Thank you for your interest in our Bren Ten project. While we are very serious about this project, there have been significant delays in production.* As of right now we do not have a solid release date for the Bren. As well as we do not have any major distributors lined up so we are unsure of what the retail price will be.* Our owner has said that it will be out this year. I will take your email contact information and place you on our update list. You will receive any of the updates we have available on the Bren. We are hoping to have a press release on the project status in the next couple of months.*
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.

Back
Top Bottom