• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

breathless trepidation over muzzle loaders

jcr

This has to be seen to be believed. Make sure you watch the video.

The reports are just shocked that muzzle loaders can be purchased. And that they are "not toys", and are "deadly".

It seems that they've forgotten one of their Constitutional theories that the Second Amendment applies only to muzzle loaders.

A major loophole in NYS gun laws
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5714222

"State police trooper Amanda Reif has felt the power of the black powder rifle when she was shot by one last summer while responding to a domestic call.

"This one hit my vest and it mushroomed, it was the first shot. The second shot just hit a little higher," she said."

Now Im no expert on muzzloaders as I have only been shooting one for 30 years or so. Made mine from one of those evil Kits that the US Navy sold in the BX Nice Thompson .50 cal Hawkins

and I can reload pretty quick. Made myself a "Speedloader" Its a blockof wood with 6 1/2 in holes in it that hold prelubed round ball with a patch all greased up around it.

Just measure some power from the flash into the measure, dump the powder down the barrel, hold the loading block over the barrell and push the ball in with the ball starter, then switching to the ramrod, seat the ball,patch & powder firmly.
Store the ramrod. Take a cap from your capbox and place it on the nipple (Can I say nipple in public?)

Sight and fire.

"This one hit my vest and it mushroomed, it was the first shot. The second shot just hit a little higher," she said."

Sound like the girl wasa speaking antiballistic vest. She was awful nice to hang around for the second shot?????[rofl]

"State police trooper Amanda Reif has felt the power of the black powder rifle when she was shot by one last summer while responding to a domestic call.

Now Im no expert on muzzloaders as I have only been shooting one for 30 years or so. Made mine from one of those evil Kits that the US Navy sold in the BX Nice Thompson .50 cal Hawkins

and I can reload pretty quick. Made myself a "Speedloader" Its a blockof wood with 6 1/2 in holes in it that hold prelubed round ball with a patch all greased up around it.

Just measure some power from the flash into the measure, dump the powder down the barrel, hold the loading block over the barrell and push the ball in with the ball starter, then switching to the ramrod, seat the ball,patch & powder firmly.
Store the ramrod. Take a cap from your capbox and place it on the nipple (Can I say nipple in public?)

Sight and fire.

Sound like the girl wasa speaking antiballistic vest. She was awful nice to hang around for the second shot?????[rofl]

you are totally correct. i do shooting matches with muzzleloaders alot, and i also hunt with a flintlock.

Last edited:

Indeed! Sounds like she never took a Gabe Suarez course! One of his first and oft-repeated statements is "If you are still standing in the same place after you shoot as you were before, you WILL BE HIT!" (again in her case).

She needs to learn that a moving target is harder to hit, so she needs to MOVE (off-line or diagonal direction)!

We need to get rid of those 50 caliber muzzle loading assault sniper rifles. Once those are gone, the world will be a safer place. [rolleyes]

Indeed! Sounds like she never took a Gabe Suarez course! One of his first and oft-repeated statements is "If you are still standing in the same place after you shoot as you were before, you WILL BE HIT!" (again in her case).

She needs to learn that a moving target is harder to hit, so she needs to MOVE (off-line or diagonal direction)!

Actually, if you listened to the story. The shooter double loaded. So, when he fired, two lead projectiles came out at the same time. That's why both were pretty close together.

Actually, if you listened to the story. The shooter double loaded. So, when he fired, two lead projectiles came out at the same time. That's why both were pretty close together.

And Trooper Reif suffered a serious injury to her shoulder but fired one shot and made the kill.

Ohhhh!!! it was on full auto mode. In that case they should be banned.[smile]

If you load more than one ball

If you load more than one ball it can cause a ball jam in which case the ball on the bottom proceeds to squash the ball on the top and may push out the barrel in places that would be embarasing to the user.

This can happen if there is any space between the balls.

I guess MA is clamping will be clamping down on your b@11s, I mean muzzleloaders next.

Oh, and how about this gem?
"no drivers license even needs to be shown"

Also, they keep referring to them as "rifles". Aren't most (if not all) muzzle-loaders smooth bore?

Last edited:
I read the story. No mention of double-loading.

I didn't watch the video at the time.

HOWEVER, I still say that Gabe Suarez's teaching is best . . . if you see a gun aimed at you, move and shoot at the same time! Thus the perp pulls the trigger and you aren't in the same place as the bullet(s) go whizzing by!

These alarmist news articles make it sound like the next thing
one will be seeing is gangs in their community park
practicing firing drills with flintlock or cap and ball pistols. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Double load with a double charge was a traditional proofing load. But it was set off buy tying the gun down and triggering it with a long string.

Back
Top Bottom