• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Breathing some life into an old shotgun

Sweeney

NES Member
I picked up a beater 1897 Winchester 'Take Down' a while ago. It was made in 1904, was missing a few bits and the furniture was rough. I got rid of the rust via electrolysis and used EPi black oxide on it to cover it's nakedness. I ordered new furniture but could only get the round pistol grip...hate the round pistol grip...so does mister belt sander and his friend rasp. It now has a squared pistol grip and the original, curved steel butt plate instead of the flat, plastic one that came with the stock. After some whittling, sanding, staining, oiling, metal beating, blackening etc. I'm happy with it's 'lipstick on a pig' appearance. In the process about 8" of the barrel went missing. There are pits and lots of dens and dings in the metal but I like it.

gFiIw1i.jpg

Last edited:
A few more pictures. I used EPi black oxide gel to 'blue' the metal. To avoid streaks I wear rubber gloves, pour a little of the 'bluing' onto the palm then dob or kneed the metal using both hands and changing the orientation. The result is a mottled, quasi color case appearance. It serves the purpose...

eHCErDX.jpg

NKOyRMi.jpg

If you have not shot it yet look out for when you rack the slide.It will be your thumb,or the back of your hand.It's all determined on how your holding it.lol

If you have not shot it yet look out for when you rack the slide.It will be your thumb,or the back of your hand.It's all determined on how your holding it.lol

I'd have to have a really odd grip on it for the bolt or hammer to come even close to contacting my hand.

This was one of the ones occupying your coffee table? Nice work, looks great! But lose some more of the barrel and some of the stock too. It still looks a little too big for me to shoot [smile]

This was one of the ones occupying your coffee table? Nice work, looks great! But lose some more of the barrel and some of the stock too. It still looks a little too big for me to shoot [smile]

It was. I saved the 8" I lopped off the barrel in case you wanted it... [smile]

How's the hammy, Girl?

OK, curiosity got to me...you can chamber a shell and then break down the gun (remove the front end) and still fire it. It may not pattern well but it could be fun at parties.

Last edited:
It was. I saved the 8" I lopped off the barrel in case you wanted it... [smile]

How's the hammy, Girl?

OK, curiosity got to me...you can chamber a shell and then break down the gun (remove the front end) and still fire it. It may not pattern well but it could be fun at parties.

The ham is fine. The brace will be coming off next week and the crutches will be no more soon after. I cannot wait!

Okay, bring it to lunch next time [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom