• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Breaking news. PA police chief dead in shootout

In a briefing, police said they were looking for Aaron Lamont Swan, 28, of Duquesne, in connection to the shooting. WTAE news aaron-lamont-swan-1672702041.png

You can respect a chief of police, who actually puts boots on the ground.

It’s mostly a highly political job at this point unless you live in a place that doesn’t have 100+ officers

I didn't know police chiefs went into the field besides doing TV interviews with the press after the fact.

Small town chiefs often do. Not even uncommon in parts of MA and NH.
Very true. A lot of years ago I was visiting the chief in Topsfield (he was a former neighbor/co-worker and personal friend) and he was showing me around the town when a burglar alarm call went out over the radio. We responded and each of us went around the house from opposite sides. Keep in mind that we had worked together in another town, so we both knew what to expect from each other.

In my NH town, 2020 election day my chief was directing traffic in the parking lot at the polls. This is a PD with ~65 sworn officers, so not small and not large.
You can respect a chief of police, who actually puts boots on the ground.

It’s mostly a highly political job at this point unless you live in a place that doesn’t have 100+ officers
True, but there are some good chiefs out there that work with their people.

I didn't know police chiefs went into the field besides doing TV interviews with the press after the fact.
Some smaller depts they wear many hats beyond dept head. There was a Mass police chief killed in the line of duty several years ago after responding to B&E in progress call. It happens unfortunately.....

Some smaller depts they wear many hats beyond dept head. There was a Mass police chief killed in the line of duty several years ago after responding to B&E in progress call. It happens unfortunately.....
Paxton Police Chief Robert J. Mortell, LODD Feb 1, 1994, shot and killed responding to call of 3 suspects involved in a B&E (source: Chief of Police Robert J. Mortell )

I probably make five dollars less an hour with no pension. But I do have to climb through my own office window because apparently I have keys and passwords and everything but not to my own office.

Former Salem Nh COP used to work details at the Mall. Such a hard working guy that he got paid for the detail AND his regular pay! Got away with the double dipping. Scumbag.

Small town of a few thousand people. PD looks to be a chief, a Sargent and two patrolman. I believe most small towns in western mass, Vermont, et don’t even have their own PD, they use sheriffs in Vermont and mass state police in the small Berkshire towns.

A high school classmate was a Vermont state trooper a while back, his area was the 1/2 the southern portion of the state. On second shift he and one other state cop had that huge area. He said it was incredibly dangerous because your backup could be an hour away.

Most departments in the US have less than 10 sworn officers. A small town police chief is very different from a big city police chief.

Small towns don’t have the budget for anything really. In small towns, they often don’t have building inspectors, plumbing or electrical inspections, If they do, they’re part time with very limited hours. They simply can’t afford to pay full time DPW, Cops, fire, town hall workers, etc. everything is volunteer like Fire. PT or doesn’t exist.

The replacement show to Live PD, on patrol live, follows a number of PDs live for the show. NYE county Nevada is a HUGE county but sparsely populated. One of the lieutenant sheriffs just retired and they talked to him about it on the show. He was with the Nye county as a sheriff for over 20 years, never was paid a salary. His was risking his life at times and it was completely voluntary.

BLACK LIES MATTER!
The TV/News Stations stopped mentioning race on their reports of violence because it destroys their narrative.
The Leftists own this but will never be held accountable, their DEFUND THE COPS crusade has encouraged these violent Black Youts to either stand their ground and shoot it out with cops or take off in a stolen vehicle and drive like maniacs while endangering the public.
This is what happens when the courts allow these animals to roam the streets because according to Leftist propaganda too many black men are in prison on trumped up charges. All part of the plan!

Back
Top Bottom